NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. The Beast

The Beast Member

Well, quite a bit longer if importers, distributors and retailers keep skimming cards from shipments and giving them to “a guy” to sell at ludicrous markup.

How did you find this “guy” anyway? :rolleyes:

KRiSX and Skramit like this.
  2. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

Gumtree haha.

And yep, there are some serious flaws in the distribution chains. This guy has 4-5 Strix cards I believe direct from the "distributor" Given how little are going through retailers that must be a massive chuck of what is coming in to the country.

3. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Facilitating scalping via these forums, its a bit shady. On top of that, its essentially anonymous and there is nothing but trust that he isn't in fact the guy selling them or doesn't stand to profit from it.

At best its a bit dodgy and at worst its circumventing the for sale forum rules. If old mate wants to sell his wares here, tell him to sign up and do it himself.

Skramit and 335 GT like this.
  4. metalrain

metalrain Member

So I managed to cram a 2.7 slot AUS Dual OC RTX 2080 Ti in a "2 slot-only" mini-ITX case, without too much modification. Makes me wonder whether I should go for a T H I C C B O I RTX 3080 instead of the itty bitty EVGA XC3 I currently have on order. What do you guys think about doing something like that or should I just stick to what I'm going for instead?

devolutionary likes this.
  5. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

If against the rules then understood. Do just understand that my intention was simply to assist, not cause a fuss.

Ill retract the post.

6. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

I could say worse? anyone selling these cards for those kinds of pricing and thinking its ok is ridiculous and should not be supported... you coming in saying it like you're doing people a favor and it being some big secret that you have to fill people in via private messages stinks to high heaven... If it isn't as dodgy as it sounds to me then the seller is the true scumbag here and should be stuck with their overpriced stock rather than excessively profiting, its disgusting... you want to support this behavior, thats on you... its a bad practice that leads to it happening more and more often...

enjoy your very over priced card... and I'll enjoy my not quite as over priced card... which was still more than I wanted to spend, but at least its within the realm of reasonable when compared to the majority of stores...

crosby and antenna like this.
  7. Goosegamer

Goosegamer Member

Entirely upto you mate, go with what works I say

8. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I don't know if its strictly against the rules, it just has a bit of stink about it. Hooking people up with private sellers by the forums seems very close to selling items on someone elses behalf which is against forum rules, and assuming they are new, its also against the rules.

Don't take it as an accusation or anything, I don't know you, you're probably being totally honest, but its a relatively anonymous forum so it could just as easily go the other way.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Skramit likes this.
  9. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

Calm down mate, was not my intention to cause a fuss.

Post has been removed.

335 GT and KRiSX like this.
  10. The Beast

The Beast Member

Another very good point, if these are sold without a receipt good luck with RMA if something goes wrong. Paying a ludicrous premium for an item that likely won't have any consumer protection attached seems ill-advised at best.

If people want to risk $2k (on a product that by early 2021 will be back at RRP everywhere) that's ultimately up to them, but the point of a tech forum is to discuss all aspects of the tech, which includes a products value-for-money and customer support.

335 GT likes this.
  11. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I understand that trippinonprozac was trying to help.

But this.
    We shouldn't be facilitating scalpers.

bobsled, trippinonprozac and Skramit like this.
  12. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Supply and Demand, something is only worth what people are willing to pay, what people are asking for means jack shit.
    You have every right not to buy something overpriced and people have every right to try and sell for whatever they want.

You have a problem with used 4wds going up in price currently? People are asking more and more because you can not leave the country and more people are wanting to travel around AUS.
    You have a problem with people selling Gold for double what they paid for it, due to it becoming rare?

Supply and demand runs the world and selling a GPU you do not need or have to sell for money reasons for more than you paid for it because they don't exist is perfectly fine.
    BUYING one just to sell it for more is the fuckwit thing to do, like concert ticket scalpers. Otherwise i say fair game!

I am awaiting a 3080 delivery, i want it, i'll use it.
    However if RDNA 2 is better i will buy that, then i have every right to sell my 3080 wherever i like for whatever i like. Reasonable reason!

13. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

no worries and sorry if you're offended by my words, but I'm just very passionate towards my hatred of such things... between the 3080/3090, PS5 and XSX... I find it absolutely infuriating to see this kind of behavior and it baffles me that anyone would support it, but as has been said, its your money and you do what you want with it...

Skramit likes this.
  14. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

15. Skramit

Skramit Member

Exactly.

For about 50 of the 200 pages of this thread everyone was complaining about bots and scalpers and dodgy retailers since the launch. So advertising a scalper has stock and somebody can 'hook us up' and some ridiculouse price (almost double RRP of a base card) is only growing the scalper market, and making the stock level worse on whole for everyone else. Whilst theres a market there, scalpers will continue to scalp. The only way to combat scalping is to shrink their market by not buying from them and not advertising for them.

KRiSX likes this.
  16. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

What case?

Personally I think the more heatsink you can have on the card the better. My 2.7 slot 3080 is quieter than my 2 slot 1080ti despite it consuming more power and not having any help (due to lack of room) from internal intake fans.

17. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Supply and demand, we've heard it all before, and I don't think anyone can argue against the concept, but...

The thing is though, if you put up your 3080 for sale here assuming it had been used and met the criteria for a legitimate sale here, people may have a problem with the price, but it wouldn't be outside of the forum rules.

But its different if you're effectively acting as an agent for a private seller and helping them circumvent forum rules, either intentionally or unintentionally, it seems a bit shady and doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this forum and it seems very close to violating several of the rules around selling items here.

Nethiuz likes this.
  18. metalrain

metalrain Member

Currently with a Silverstone RZV01, but I've got my eye out for a Thorzone Mjolnir but that one doesn't have an ETA too. I'll probably pre-order a FormD T1 instead since that one seems to actually going to be in production soon, if not, already is. Both of those latter cases are very similar in design to the DanCase A4 SFX, sandwich style cases.

19. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I agree and also myself and anybody should 100% expect criticism for selling something for more.
    I accept that people will judge me, hate me and call me names. Risk vs Reward? Or i could list it on eBay or something and be done with it, sidestepping judgement on a forum i frequent.

I still don't condone people buying just to sell for more, if you have to sell it and they are worth more, i say have at it.

20. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Played a bit more today, definitely see a good 30W or so more power draw at the same point in the f/v curve when those tensor cores are being used.

jjjc_93 likes this.