NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. PureFire

PureFire Member

Worst advice ever. More than half of all the issues people have have with CTD is because of the PSU

750W minimum.
    850W optimal
    If you have a high end 3080 and an overclocked Intel CPU get 1000W

ricmc likes this.
  2. metalrain

metalrain Member

If it's out of warranty, then no real point in stressing too much tbh. Use the saved money of not getting another high end PSU with perhaps a pre-order on another RTX 3080 or two RNDA2 GPUs instead of just the one :leet:

Got a source for those CTDs?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  3. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Haha, yeah, I'm sure the PSU will be fine for a while yet. Don't even have a pre-order in at the moment. Missed out on ordering launch night and then decided to sit and see how things settle after the shit show that was. I'm also pretty much limited to an Asus TUF or EVGA FTW3 due to case size (can only fit up to 315mm card with front fans fitted). Given they're probably two of the most popular cards I'll be waiting a while :upset:

4. metalrain

metalrain Member

Yep, the girth, length and T H I C C N E S S of most of these monsters can be an issue.

combatant3219 likes this.
  5. PureFire

PureFire Member

Its from what I have seen on reddit/forums and also in this thread. Im not about to spend hours collecting each individual link.

Nvidia recommend 750W. For you to tell people 600W is fine is terrible advice and likewise that youtuber

Goosegamer likes this.
  6. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

maybe for a power capped 320watt 3080.

for the 400-480watt models 850+

7. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

yeah that techtuber is abit of a wanker, reviews top end gpu's and undervolts them and tell everyone 600watt is plenty

8. metalrain

metalrain Member

I would just like a definite answer that's all. I did preface it with OC'ing, you'd want something more substantial. I'm sure you didn't just ignore that bit though :rolleyes:

9. PureFire

PureFire Member

Clearly you cant read. The base model without overclocking, recommended by Nvidia is 750W.

At no point EVER is 600W good to "get it going" for any base model 3080

Take the L and move on

10. metalrain

metalrain Member

That video proves otherwise :Paranoid:

ndr2h and antenna like this.
  11. Reedy

Reedy Member

Can confirm. My 3080 ran ok on my 750W power supply at standard speeds but my overclocking stability immediately improved when I upgraded to 1000W.

12. kot0005

kot0005 Member

Hydrocopper is swifttech, not Ek. neither is waterforce, but waterforce sucks because u cant open the block without ruining it.

nCrypt likes this.
  13. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

my Seasonic 650W Ultra Prime Titanium Runs my Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC Fine :)

The Colorful 3080 will be going into this system on arrival, this is a 3700x system, so not power hungry like the blue team.

I would assume 3090 would also work fine, as in Hardware Nexus's power consumption tests for the 3090 with a 10900k, not one system drew more then 591W on load.

650W is more then enough for this setup. Is it ideal. no, will it work, yes.

Nvidia recommend 750W purely because thats worst case scenario. 10900K is a power hungry whore.

i am yet to see a 3080 or even a 3090 out of the box, even with a 10900k, pull over 650W.

Not that i recommend a 650W for this, but a good quality (and mine is the best), it will be more then fine.

If i was buying a new PSU now i wouldnt buy a 650W, but for those users on existing 650W PSUs, as long as their PSU is of excellent quality, then they will have no issues running a 3080 (but this would be stock, if you want to OC then i would suggest a bigger PSU, as not much headroom at at with a 650W)

Once i get the colorful, i will see how far i can push it on my 650W PSU.

Most of the power consumption reviews i have seen, on 3080 and 3090 without overclocking, have been around 450-590W usage. so in theory a 650W would run them fine.

Again would not recommend, but for me, it is simple as this.

650W Ultra 80+ Titanium -- a very expensive PSU.

Currently running a 3080 Gaming OC no issues, and it boots 2025mhz stock out of the box. no stability issues at all. and its paired with a 3700X @ 4.5ghz all core and DDR4 4266 C19 @ 3600 14-14-14-28-1T, Kickass system!

See how it overclocks the colorful 3080, as this will be on water cooling, so wil be able to push it.

If the PSU is not enough, then ill get a Big Navi Card for this system (as nvidia are like intel, power hungry whores)

Again, trusing nvidia's recommendation is like trust anything nvidia say.

750W is recommended as a blanket, since there are alot of SHIT Quality PSU's out there.

Also 750W should be enough for any configuration of CPU and what not people are using.

id say no more then 650W would be needed for those using 65W TDP ryzen chips (3700x and lower), to use a 3080.

Again, if buying a NEW psu or building a new system, then i would recommend 850-1000W 80+ Plat or better, but for those with existing 650W good quality PSUs, an upgrade will likely be an unnessacary purchase.

and how many actual users of 3080/3090 actually overclock their GPU to the point where they are drawing absurd wattage? would be in the minority.

Didnt look at 3080 blocks.

Previous gens hydrcopper were EK.

Waterforce, unsure, but since EK are releasing a block for the extreme made sense!

14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I'm still rocking my original AX860i which is a similar vintage. Full load (OC'ed 5960x and dual Titans) has ~900w being sucked at the wall for 48 hour x265 renders. Still going strong :thumbup:.

Sure, as long as you use little baby wattage CPUs and don't load it up too hard at the same time. Youtuber is full of shit.

15. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I would stick to the minimum recommendation of 750w to cover all use cases of a base 3080 and whatever cpu you choose. Ali's video is decent but he doesn't put both the cpu and gpu under a big load at the same time so you could still run into issues in some cases. Remember he is serving content for the sff community so undervolting and power limiting is almost mandatory content for a lot of his viewers.

With my 3700x and 3080 which is capped at 350w I haven't heard my sf750 I have had no power issues with cinebench and heaven lopping at the same time.

pcgamer01 and nCrypt like this.
  16. Reedy

Reedy Member

Just because it's within the power limit doesn't mean it's running properly.

My 750W PSU was dropping to 11.9V on the 12V rail at standard speeds clock speeds on my FTW3, This was just running Furmark with only abut 60W draw from my CPU, at max my CPU can draw 270+ Watts but even at lower power the voltage issues on the graphics card were clearly evident.

This was Corsair HX750i, by rights this is a very good PSU. With this setup I could run at standard speeds, even minor overclocks with furmark and cinebench running at the same time. However swapping to 1000W opened up significantly more overclocking headroom on my graphics card.

You can by all means go 750W or lower but as soon as you experience any crashes, the PSU would be the first place i'd be looking to blame.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  17. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Cheers, cements my current thought to just stick with the AX860 for the foreseeable future then :thumbup:.

18. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Yep.

i am not an average user, so pairing a 3080 with my 650W PSU (eventhough its titanium rated, and a over 300$ PSU), was not a hope and guess situation.

There was alot of reading./research gone into prior.

But i found constantly if not overclocking/modiing BIOS on the video card, then for 3700x/3080 650W will be plenty. and it is.

But for most users, i wouldnt recommend it, not without some research.

You make a valid point.

Again for standard users, i would stick to NVIDIA's recommendation.

Again i am not a standard user. and the voltages on my PSU are where they should be :)

I would suggest your HX750i had degraded, or had insufficiencies across is 12V to begin with. Ever check your voltages prior to adding the 3080?

TBH have not used Corsair PSU's in a long time, purely because i had 3 x HX1000 PSU's be DOA/Faulty in a row. (this was many years ago, where 80+ silver were the top range of HX PSU's), i have always used SeaSonic for my builds, of if i am on a budget ill use Silverstone. Everyone has their preferences. and they do make good PSU's. Everyone has had some else's favorite brand die at some point, thats computers full stop.

Example
    Seasonic 650W Ultra Prime 80+ Titanium = $329 AUD
    Silvertone 1000W 80+ Platinum = $259 AUD

I got this seasonic with a caselabs mercury s3 itx off facebook for $400 for both PSU and CASE. which is a decent deal.

If i was buying new, i doubt id buy the 650W ti anyway, makes little to no sense over the 1000W plat. especially at the price point.

19. pcgamer01

pcgamer01 Member

ill take one of them watch dog keys if someone doesn't want it.
    Not sure if galax runs the promo or if old mate already claimed the copy for the card I got coming

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I probably won't want mine. Galax card on the way arriving this week.

pcgamer01 likes this.