NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. pcgamer01

pcgamer01 Member

2. metalrain

metalrain Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  3. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I found an interesting article a while back regarding to power consumption of 3000 series, people can read it with google translator if they are having trouble picking a PSU for the 3000 series. It is the site which provide source to Igor regarding Nvidia's FE cards 12pin power connector spec: https://www.fcpowerup.com/end-gpu-spike-peakpower/

4. xxmorphxx

xxmorphxx Member

Was the EK sku officially acknowledged by Asus? It really can be anything until that point but one can hope! I have a strix3090 on order but would switch to the asus ek in a heartbeat if it’s a 3x8 pin as well...

5. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

https://videocardz.net/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-10gb-ek

Unconfirmed, but its come from somewhere!

EDIT 3090

https://videocardz.net/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-ek

EDIT 2

From what i can see, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA are all releasing 3080/3090 with prefitted Waterblock.

Only confirmed blocked cards i have seen is the EVGA hydrocoppers. Rest are rumoured AFAIK

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  6. xxmorphxx

xxmorphxx Member

Yeah precisely my understanding thought you saw something official over speculation was all.

7. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

yeah, would be nice.

I was awaiting for the Hydrocopper. but got itchy finger and bought 3080's already.

really wanted to buy a preblock 3080, as never owned a preblocked card. but yeah, EK already released their blocks for the TUF and STRIX, see it quite odd for ASUS to release a 3080 with a block preattached.

The last one i think they did was a 980 Ti Poseidon.

8. xxmorphxx

xxmorphxx Member

Poseidon was released for the 1080tis I think

nCrypt likes this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's amazing how many people will overlook or skimp on their PSU. Its's the lifeblood of your PC, buy a decent power supply, it will last you for a long time to come.

10. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

yeah i cant remember, i know its been a while since asus did a preblocked card!

EVGA hydrocopper 3 series look interesting, again they are confirmed, unlike the rest, but who knows when they will be available. even longer for the rest if they come out.

11. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Yeah, its a bad move. That and over the life of a good quality psu, it doesn't seem expensive. A nice psu can last you several generations of hardware.

I feel the same about people cheaping out on monitors but balling out on expensive gpu's.

12. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Mostly because its something you don't notice as an improvement in performance, however it's also something you can use over multiple builds

MR CHILLED likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Both right. And I was going to mention the same for justifying the cost of a big monitor also, it's the same principle. Whilst they don't yield performance benefits in themselves they are important parts of your system and they pay you back by, as you guys said, lasting quite a while. Spread the cost of a psu over multi generations and it more than pay for itself, in fact it becomes a pretty minor cost really.

Dr Evil likes this.
  14. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Can tell the quality range of PSU based on its weight.

Ever picked up a shit PSU, ie a SHAW Psu? weigh fuck all.

A decent PSU will have some weight too it.

devolutionary likes this.
  15. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

When I pulled my SF750 outta box I was amazed, never seen a small form psu in person before.
    Doesn't break a sweat with the 3080 but then I'm only running 3700x not a greedy blue chip. ;)
    Oh and not OCing the gpu... gonna undervolt actually since I'm in SFF.

16. ricmc

ricmc Member

Find your load wattage, double it and buy that. You don't wanna go near the PSUs max. Under load wattage isn't the max either, current spikes can push the supply rails hard and cause stability problems if they're near the limit.

Basically it's an extra hundred bucks to get a beefy PSU, over a quality midsize. F all in the scheme of a build.

That said it's also fun to get stuff to work with what you can! I just really don't get the supersmall pc thing.

devolutionary likes this.
  17. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah it is crazy small. Seeing it in videos and photos does the size no justice. I couldn't believe it when I had it in my hands and compared to my old ax1200i (which kicked the bucket this year, rip big guy).

I just like having a smaller box on my desk with essentially no real compromise over something 3x the size. I am not one to oc my daily pc to the high heavens, I have a bench station and LN2 pots for that. The sf750 that keeps getting referenced in the thread by sff owners is a beefy psu and ocp won't trigger until it's pushing over 900w, it's well up to this task unless you want to play with unlocked 500w 3080s and a 10900k on the bleeding edge. Those people need a commercial AC unit run directly into their case :leet:

devolutionary and nCrypt like this.
  18. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

yeah, the SFX psu's are cute.

owned one, but never used it, came in an ITX pc i bought, just for the mobo and cpu, sold the rest.

feel ike intel and nvidia are like, look at us we fastest (but have no care for power needed)

AMD on the other hand, well, Zen3 and BigNavi, faster and using less power? its a nice thought, who knows how true yet. but would be nice to see newer gen use less power.

320w+ for a card is enormous, and dont see it going down any time soon.

Ck21, devolutionary and jjjc_93 like this.
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I was actually quite staggered when I heard about the power consumption of these cards. I thought my current 1080 drew quite a bit, now the baseline 3080 series is almost double that :wired:

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

But but... the 3080 is the best value card on the market, it beats everything, it has better DLSS and Ray Tracing!!!!

The power is off the charts for these things and it's unacceptable but they need to beat big Navi so, push it to it's limit and bugger the power usage and stability.