NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Myst

Myst Member

You definitely appreciate the weight and engineering of big chungus power supplies if you work with any enterprise hardware.

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

IMO anyone buying a 3070 or 3080 should just get a plat or titanium 850w psu and get it over with for 10 years.

Wozzernux and Myst like this.
  3. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

I had the same reaction with my SF750. Still can't believe that it can pump 750W+ despite reading all the reviews. It's platinum rated and the fan doesn't turn on until it's under significant load which is all sorts of backwards to me.

devolutionary likes this.
  4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I really cant understand people spending $1500+ on a GPU, CPU etc then cheaping out on a PSU... It's the back bone of you're whole PC, if it goes, it takes everything with it. You're going to spend thousands on everything else then buy a shitty silver or bronze rated 600w PSU :rolleyes:.

Ck21, ricmc, F1Aussie and 1 other person like this.
  5. metalrain

metalrain Member

PSUs are the last thing I skimp, I usually go for the highest quality over a cheaper nasty one. I haven't gotten anything less than a name brand, Gold 80+ rated in the last 8 years or so. My issue was finding SFX units to my liking. I actually tried finding a Corsair SF750 Platinum before settling on an SF600 Platinum because the former was out of stock everywhere.

That said, I'm burnt out on Silverstone SFX units because I had to SX600 Golds failed even after RMAs. I used an old CoolerMaster while I searched for those SF750s.

Hoping for something beefier to come out so I can look at getting into serious OCs with my next build which will include the RTX 3080.

devolutionary likes this.
  6. coolroy

coolroy Member

I notice 365watt pulled on my rtx3090 when using furmark to stress the gpu and that doesnt hit a solid 100% of gpu usage..close but not 100%

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie New Member

8. kieran

kieran Member

I'm currently building my new PC. The first thing I bought is a Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W Titanium power supply. Not cheap but looks pretty good. I find it odd that the top 80plus certification is titanium (after silver, gold, platinum). But I like the sound of 90% efficiency at 10% load (and 96% at 50% load). Fluid bearing for the fan, cable free backplate connection to pcb... 12 year warranty.
    Inside the box, it comes in a felt drawstring bag. I'd love to know why.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  9. kot0005

kot0005 Member

10. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Reminder: we don't allow Vendor Verdict type posts on OCAU. Also, trying to sell your card in this thread will earn you a ban.

sskmercer, ricmc, Aetherone and 7 others like this.
  11. savolion

savolion Member

Hey guys, looking at preordering a 3080, do we have any idea on ETA? Or are we looking at next year

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Some cards are filtering through from launch night. Some people are getting them online where they can find them. Stock is low. No guarantees ordering now you would have it before Crissy.

13. metalrain

metalrain Member

Placing one of your preferred models on pre-order then just sniping anything that goes in stock is what some of us are doing. I pre-ordered one in September and I still don't even have an ETA yet.

Other option is to pay the scalpers premium, but at this point of time, you might as well just wait for what AMD will announce soon. Seems to be a fairly competitive release based on the leaks but I'm worried about the availability of those as well, despite assurances by AMD.

14. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Order at multiple places that don't charge you straight up. I had a Gigabyte Vision 3080 ordered from launch day at 3 places yet 6 days ago ordered from another store and it's arriving today.

15. James086

James086 Member

As metalrain pointed out, you can get them without pre-ordering but you may end up waiting longer since you have no allocation. I was lucky with timing and bought a 3090 from a retailer (not a scalper) when it was briefly in stock so I never pre-ordered.

AMD is looking very competitive (roughly equal to the 3080) and they may have more stock than Nvidia because they are using the more mature TSMC 7nm process. There is more demand from the foundry though (smartphones, AMD's CPUs etc.) so yields may be higher but their allocation of wafers may be lower so really it's impossible to know whether they will have enough chips available at launch. They are due for announcement on October 28, not sure on release date.

16. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Watchdogs redemption went off without a hitch, plug in card, punch in code in geforce expeience, log into uplay and its there. I remember screwing around with sending in copies of reciepts and being forced to signup for an MSI account and entering serial numbers to register the card in order to get death stranding with my last RTX purchase.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oh my goodness :wired: ...the wait is almost over..

del.JPG

ricmc, 8MadDog8, macktheknife and 8 others like this.
  18. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

"Attempted delivery, no access. Pick up after 10am, October the 27th." :D :lol:

kot0005 and Skramit like this.
  19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Nah, such a small box will almost certainly get stuck under the drivers seat for 3 or 4 days...

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Parcel lost in transit ;).