NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

In fairness to EK, that block was probably never even meant to see the light of day as an early prototype and in the rush of having everything ready for launch on the drop of a pin was likely based on an early PCB design they received from Asus.

nCrypt likes this.
  2. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

yeah who knows, likely, im awaiting a Bykski block for the colorful ultra OC 3080, due too arrive this week.

Would order EK but doubt they will make a block for colorful cards, none listed yet anyway.

EK blocks also far more expensive, and generally for not that much better performance. super nice looking and feeling, with their machine worked everything, but after using a corsair block which comes with a backplate for $200, compared to a $275 EK block and th en have to spend another $80 on a backplate, gets rather annoying haha.

Each to their own!

3. xxmorphxx

xxmorphxx Member

EK has already advised that this is because Asus changed the layout last minute from the blueprints they were originally provided weeks ago... as said many times this is a beta block, not production retail sample block, calm your farm.

jjjc_93, Dingostolemyghz and nCrypt like this.
  4. Satirical

Satirical Member

The Gigabyte Gaming OC BIOs isn't compatible with reference cards (Palit/Galax/Zotac) so you'll end up stuck at 320w-340w or so

5. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Ordered around the same time, same card. 8702XX is shipped! Woo!
    Here's hoping it get's here quick. Added a few things to my order Friday and they were replying to emails at 1am AEDST, added what I wanted, sent the new invoice, then mentioned that my specific card was already en route from WA to Heatherton. You won't catch PCCG being that good. Wrapped with customer service in what's a pretty demanding time for them.

6. Strix

Strix Member

Can you able to send me the link of EK announcement? Cause I sent several email with EK about my EK waterblock on Strix but they never mentioned about this matter at all.

7. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

jjjc_93 likes this.
  8. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Is that pcie power cable extensions that plug into the proprietary plug on the gigabyte pcb I see? They've thought of everything

nCrypt likes this.
  9. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

solution by design!

Would not work otherwise, since once you remove the cooler and backplate have no way to plug power in.

I like that it also comes with a backplate, since cannot use the original.

The Bykski block for the colorful 3080, is compatible with the stock backplate that comes with the card.

See how they go!

jjjc_93 likes this.
  10. ssnke

ssnke Member

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As in in the motherboard pci-e slot?

12. metalrain

metalrain Member

Pretty as fuck but dude, the price. You can probably get *two* used RTX 3090s with that cash :shock:

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Holy shite, nice price :wired: The true golden samples. But wow what a premium.

14. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

There's literally a second hand gigabyte gaming oc 3090 on the forum right now for sale at 3500.. In that case the white strix 3090 isn't that bad :lol:

15. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

Typing on phones is hard ok.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Sledge likes this.
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Tell ya what, these cards run hot. I can feel the heat from put my hand a few cm's away from the side window, something I haven't felt before with any card previously in this case, even the 1080 which ran comparatively cold.

Opening up the side panel and it's quite toasty in there.

17. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

The massive coolers slapped onto them keep the operating temp cool imo, but the heat expelled from the coolers is next level. Might be time to mount that puppy off the glass and give it some breathing room :leet:

The fact that my 3080 runs cooler than my 1080ti while being quieter is crazy to me and testament to a good cooler design.

nCrypt likes this.
  18. ssnke

ssnke Member

Considering the MATRIX rtx2080ti was almost $5k when the STRIX OC was $2799 basically the same ..
    I think there's a possibility, this seems like better value..

Problem is that I guess I'd need to remove the bottom row of fans in my LianLi011 for a vert mount like MrChilled

19. metalrain

metalrain Member

True, but that $2,500 USD is the MSRP. Just imagine the actual cost when it goes on sale. Then consider if you are buying it from a less than scrupulous seller... Not to mention the GST, import duties etc.

jjjc_93 likes this.
  20. Bass

Bass Member

At least he's only asking what he paid for it. Still, I had a heap of unplanned OT from work this week but I still can't look at a 3090 and think yep that's a good way to treat myself (like I did with the 1080ti years ago).

jjjc_93 likes this.