NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Niice, the centrecom bendigo boys are pretty good to deal with, its my local.

Not too much of a wait then after the missing colorful then :thumbup: (pretty sure that was you).

Goosegamer likes this.
  2. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I think you will be out of luck finding cables for an EOL unit from 14 years ago, but good luck on the search.

18A not enough for a whole 3080 certainly, make sure you make use of 2 rails (that aren't in use for cpu or anything else) for each pcie 8 pin if you do end up using it.

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

pretty sure that's how it is anyway..
    2 cables into 2 different sockets on the back of the PSU

4. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

To save heartache down the road I'd be replacing the PSU. What's $200 worth if/when it takes your PC to the grave ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    ricmc likes this.
  5. Goosegamer

Goosegamer Member

Yeah sure was mate! And the 2+ month delay on the master I originally ordered as well, dealt with Nathan he was awesome

Elchupacabraj likes this.
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

NVidia recommends 750W for the 3080.

They recommended 650W for the 2080, so it's been bumped up to 750W now.

7. metalrain

metalrain Member

Unless you're undervolting with an RTX 3080 with two 8-pin connectors, you'd be better off going for that 750W recommendation.

8. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Not sure on this psu exactly, but with the 2 seasonic PSUs i have, 650W ultra prime titanium, and 1000W platinum, cables are interchanable on both PSUs

i did read somewhere all modular cables for seasonic PSU's were interchanable.

Quad 12V rails were the best back in the day, havn't really kept up to date and unsure if 2020 PSUs are doing this still or having one big rail.

in theory his PSU will work fine, as long as the cables are quality, and draw power from multiple rails.

10 year old, be fine, my PSU h as a 12 y ear warranty, apples and oranges, but just because its 10 years old doesnt mean it needs to be replaced.

But yeah do not use adapters/splitters, that will be a bad idea.

Other seasonic cables should work. check their website.

Yet in hardware unboxed latest 3070 review, their graphs had total system power usage for 3950x + 3080 and 3950x + 3090, and even the 3090 system was drawing under 600w on load.

again anything under recommend is not ideal, but doesn't mean it wont work fine (as long as the PSU is quality and still able to produce 650W)

I use SeaSonic or Silverstone PSUs, depending on budget at the time. Both quality.

As i have said before, y es, if buying new, would buy 850W+ if using 3 series.

But since i have a 80+ titanium 650W (the 650W on the market), it wil be more th en enough for run 3700x/3080 colorful ultra OC,

this system wont even come close to pulling 650, probably wont even pull 500W, will see once card arrives!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I haven't said it won't work, it's just what is recommended. 600W these days if you are running top end gear is on the low side in terms of power. As always it's not simply just that, there's also the quality of the psu, but regardless, as I've said before it's the lifeblood of the psu and unless you are financially strapped (which I wouldn't really expect if you are buying a 3080) what's another 2-300 for a decent psu which will last for years to come. The lifeblood of your system, why sit there guessing about whether you might be fine or have issues. Buy a 3080, treat it and your system to a decently powered psu.

nCrypt likes this.
  10. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Most PSUs now days are a 1 or 2 12v rail setup. My thoughts were more along the fact that the unit was release 14 years ago and if wanting a seamless upgrade with a power hungry 30 series card does not call for a preventative upgrade of a decade+ old unit, then what does? I would imagine the pin outs and connectors have changed in seasonic psus since then, this unit is a semi modular design.

Again I am sure if he can find the right cables and the load is balanced across multiple rails it could work, but if it was me I'd just pull the trigger on a fresh unit at this point. It was only my opinion.

nCrypt likes this.
  11. metalrain

metalrain Member

With my RTX 3080 of choice (XC3 Ultra) I would be pulling around 500W at load, at stock settings :Paranoid:

nCrypt likes this.
  12. chook

chook Member

For the higher priced items the low markup is 10% to 15%. Where I used to work we had a bit of a sliding scale. Low cost items, generally a cost price of $50 or less, had a markup of 50% because it wasn't worth it otherwise. CPU's had a flat 5% markup because customers judged your other prices based on your CPU prices. Normal markup was 20%, items with a cost higher than $500 had a 15% markup and a cost higher than $750 had a 10% markup. You also have to consider warranty in your markup. CPU's rarely had warranty issues. In about five years I saw two faulty CPU's. RAM and HDD had a fairly high return rate in comparison. Repairs are where a PC shop makes most of their income.

13. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

So who is gonna cancel their 3080 in favour of the 3080 Ti?

Man nvidia must be panicking.

14. Bass

Bass Member

Must have already been panicking when they launched with 17 cards to sell kek.

I'm just biding my time now, I'll only get a 3080 if it's the exact model/price I want and in-stock, otherwise I'm content to see how things go with AMD, 3080ti etc.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I imagine it would depend very much on how they price between the 3080 and 3090.

16. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Lol, this is a good time for consumers, more choice. But if the rumors are true about the Ti's then I feel sorry for those who rushed and paid more then MMRP to get the 3080/3090.

17. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I don't feel sorry for those people. They made a choice and decided they didn't want to wait and paid to get a 3080/90 in their hands there and then. That always comes with risks of better products or price cuts coming in down the line. This isn't an investment portfolio it's just a hobby. If purchase = joy without putting you in financial strife then do what you like and logic be damned!

mrjayviper, FuzwaldQO and chook like this.
  18. chook

chook Member

I am inclined to agree with you. If you already have a 3080 and it is doing what you want then why care if the Ti comes out? Enjoy what you have and just get on with life.

jjjc_93 likes this.
  19. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Yeah you are of course bang on as some of the others above are in respone to my comments. I totally get spending money on a hobby and if that means massive depreciation of 1K per annum but hours of joy it's still a cheap hobby. Hell I burn through running shoes like nobodies business. I'm just a PC tight arse lol. I have always generally owned gear that sits on that performance per dollar drop off point. Except that time I bought a Geforce 2 GTS on launch for $600. Let that sink in for a moment. Think about how much $600 was 20 years ago. Makes the 3090 cheap.

Elchupacabraj likes this.
  20. omega36

omega36 Member

Got ETA of 13/11 from PLE for SO-8712** for FTW3 Ultra.