NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Bass

Bass Member

So if AMD wanted to be ***** they could prevent BAR from working for an NVIDIA card in an AMD system?

2. chook

chook Member

No, Rage Mode is just a one-click type overclocking that manipulates the power limit, memory frequency, etc.

SAM is basically just AMD branding on BAR (part of the PCIe spec) as far as I know. RnR posted the specification details somewhere here previously and mentioned that it was already in the Linux kernel. SAM is just the ability for the CPU to communicate directly with all the GPU VRAM but I am not sure in what way(s) it differs to BAR.
    Based on the Nvidia statement, it looks like that. I am sure that neither AMD nor Nvidia would try to spin that to their own advantage.

macktheknife likes this.
  3. Bass

Bass Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  4. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

highest i seen in game air cooler was 1965. usually sits around 1895-1950.

played dbd for 10min today and it boosted too 1995 and sat around 1925 to 1980.

need to do more testing and gaming. havnt had much time today to bench!

5. chook

chook Member

Without having checked that is what I remember too. Understandably they wanted to present it in the best light. Will be interesting to see future comparisons of numbers post the Nvidia implementation.

6. Bass

Bass Member

Just the start of good things to come from the renewed rivalry hopefully :thumbup:

7. chook

chook Member

Sorry to quote myself but I might be wrong here macktheknife. I can't find anything that says Rage Mode is dependent on having an AMD CPU so maybe, yes you can have it on an Intel CPU? Probably getting way off topic now though.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. RnR

RnR Member

It would have to be in the bios, and I can't see their gpu and motherboard partners being happy with such a state of affairs.

Resizable BAR support (which is what SAM is) is a standard that has been part of the PCIe standard since v2. So since both the Nvidia GPU, the driver and the Windows OS supports it, the only place AMD could block something like this would be in the BIOS. I just don't see AMD playing that game.

9. PureFire

PureFire Member

Given that Ampere has faster G6X vram, I wonder if BAR would be any faster than SAM.

In any case, game devs need to enable it, so its gonna be a while till both Nvidia release BAR and games support it.

10. tullyscurry

tullyscurry Member

G'day guys, meant to post this a while back but never got round to it due to work commitments.

Picked up an MSI 3090 Gaming X at the very start of October. with fan at 60% hits about 1995mhz stable, jumping to 2025 for 5 minutes at a time. Got it paired with an ASUS PG35VQ ROG w/ HDR1000 and GSYNC-ultimate. Upgraded from an EVGA 2080ti FTW3 ultra. would have probably preffered to get an EVGA FTW3 if stock had been available back in Oct.

Attached Files:

bobsled and Skramit like this.
  11. tullyscurry

tullyscurry Member

This is with the monitor, just before i replaced the 2080ti :)

Attached Files:

12. R1TeAm

R1TeAm Member

What I find funny about the bar thing is its not new and yet nvidia states will be implemented for 3000 series why not all 2000 and 1000 oh that's right greed. I just find it funny amd and nvidia just as bad as each other in that regard, wouldn't want older cards getting 8% uplift from bar (Sam)

Skramit likes this.
  13. xxmorphxx

xxmorphxx Member

I want my EK water block already so I can start cranking up my Strix 3090 further. Soo far this was my highest combined score with the CPU @ 5.2 https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15094501

Detailed the GPU oc even further mostly VRAM over my max combo score above. I haven't bothered re-raising the CPU to see what my new top combo score would be though.. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15276030 but a 22,150 wasn't too shabby for my GPU on Timespy while on air but I suspect it would be a couple hundred more points if I put the cpu on 5.2 again...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  14. RnR

RnR Member

I don't believe the games that AMD used to showcased SAM uplift did anything special to support it. Games are already accessing VRAM directly from the cpu, via the driver I believe. Due to legacy issues access can only be done in 256MB blocks. If you want to write to 4GB (or more) of vram it becomes slow. The Resizable BAR Support gets rid of the 256MB limitation.

15. Bass

Bass Member

Ended up buying 3dmark from a dodgy key site for $7.50. Running that demo each time was annoying. Lot easier to test overclocks now.

16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I just rely on AC Odyssey inbuilt benchmark.

17. PureFire

PureFire Member

Only going on what I have read, games need to optimise for SAM. I read this as, some games may not benefit if they dont make changes.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/new...-with-ryzen-5000-cpus-via-smart-memory-access

18. RnR

RnR Member

Ahh fair point. There is a difference between working fine with a small improvement being seen and being optimised for it.

Its a whole new world atm for game engine writers between this, RT and peer-2-peer pcie dma. Exciting times :thumbup:

PureFire likes this.
  19. PureFire

PureFire Member

This year sure has been overwhelming with all the new hardware and developments. Its awesome

20. chook

chook Member

Interesting in that article you linked:

Means that it might be possible for AMD to lock Nvidia out. My inner bastard thinks it would be super funny if both Intel and AMD did that to Nvidia.