NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Bass

Bass Member

Are you allowed to sell digital game codes on OCAU? Don't really have any interest in CODBOMWIIIXXX. Anyone with an RTX 30 should be able to redeem it yeah?

2. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

What the fuck, PLE? I've gone from having an ETA date (albeit constantly shifting) to being in the queue. The sales page for the card is still showing an ETA.

Utter shite.

Edit: and the option to change has disappeared, a couple of days out from the RX 6800 launch. What, you going to screw us on that one too?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. Set11

Set11 Member

For those getting blyski from Aliexpress, what shipping method did you use? I'm not sure if I should go with Aliexpress Premium or DHL.

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I dont think you can redeem it without having the card in your system?

5. PureFire

PureFire Member

Considering that its technically the GPU allowing the CPU access to more memory than what it already has at the moment, I dont think AMD would be able to lock Nvidia out.

6. Bass

Bass Member

I think so, so it'd probably only be 30 series owners that got watch dogs instead that might be interested, or missed out completely.

7. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

If you go from queue to ETA then back to queue, you are due for dispatch very soon. Lucky you :)

8. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

Holy s**t! Just got an ETA for my 3080 FTW Ultra. Should be here by school holidays! Woot!

mad_mic3 and macktheknife like this.
  9. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

3700x + B450i STRIX + 3080 all on air, 3600 c14-14-14-28-1T = 15574
    5800x + X570i STRIX + 3080 all on water, 4000 c16-16-16-36-1T = 15764

3700x average speed was 73Mhz higher then the 5800x. both were on auto stock no bios tweeking.

3080 on Water was avg boost clock 1913mhz with max boost 1965mhz - 47 degrees max temp
    3080 on Air was avg boost clock 1850mhz with max boost of 1950mhz - 69 degrees max temp.

CPU temp in Timespy during GFX tests was 55-60deg,m and during CPU test was 70-75.

again all stock, nothing changed, using the Ultra OC factory shipped bios.

going to set mems too 3600 c14-14-14-28-1T and run again, to see difference between 3600c14 and 4000c16. also have secondary and tertiary timings to tune it. Also PBO and change power limits in bios!

sskmercer, jekel and PhilDee like this.
  10. uncle_jim

uncle_jim Member

Hm. Well, I will tentatively cross my fingers.

TBH not sure when I'll get an opportunity to install the thing, as my wife's GPU block has finally got off it's slow boat from China and she'll be pressing me to get hers done first.

11. Set11

Set11 Member

Ended up with DHL as premium asks for passport details... lol

12. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Graphics card shipped today. So keen! Of course one of my suppliers had the Asus TUF come into stock today but too late other card already paid for and processed at that stage. Any 3080 is better then integrated Intel GPU.

13. Eightyproof

Eightyproof Member

What order number are you if you dont mind?

FatBoy likes this.
  14. jvalente

jvalente Member

Those on FTW3 orders might want to cancel them if they can.

from what i gather in the comments. The FTW3 can’t go past 450w due to the PCB design. So even EVGAs own 500w bios update is not working. And everyone is pissed on the evga forum. Framechasers comments on it.

I’m glad I only got the XC3 ultra in the end

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I won't be buying an Nvidia, I'm going with RDNA2 when I get around to shopping for a GPU...

BUT..

FUCK THIS THING IS IMPRESSIVE !!!!! (subtitled: what a beast ... and it's only a 3080 !! )

16. Eightyproof

Eightyproof Member

Doubt anyone who has paid 1250 is cancelling. Show a 3080 with better power v dollar

17. PhilDee

PhilDee Member

Did a quick run earlier today with the Gaming X Trio, can only set the power slider to 102% which I guess takes it from stock 340W limit to the max 350W, the core mhz increase seems somewhat irrelevant, set +100 and it just adds as much as it can which is maybe +30actual boost clocks in the end, +375 memory

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15312521

Pretty decent result I think, as much as I want to watercool it I think i'll avoid the expense as it runs pretty cool as it is and will have a go at undervolting once I work it out. Plus the MSI card looks pretty nice vertical mounted as is.

18. The Beast

The Beast Member

....which is going to be irrelevant for 99.8% of people overclocking. I suspect even 450W is excessive unless you're shunting or sub-zero.

It does make the higher than normal asking price for a FTW3 a bit less relevant, but as Eightyproof points out, at $1250 AUD it doesn't matter.

sanjeevlives likes this.
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, beast of a card at 4 slots :Paranoid: ....nice little lcd display but would be a little pointless for me as I vertically mount so I'd hardly see it.

But I would like to see less plastic toy rubbish and less price, that would be great thanks :thumbup:

20. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

These tech tubers think owning a fancy microphone and semi proficiency in adobe premiere gives them an honorary electronics degree...

Anyway I've read a different thought, which I believe. I'll lead you into it.

Q1. Why does the PCB have so many current sense resistors now? They could get away with 3 for a 2x8 Pin card, and 4 for a 3x8 Pin card, which would be a far cheaper and more simple yet they install 18 on some cards.
    Q2. Why does the firmware provider increasing the power limit sometimes not work to much benefit?
    Q3. Why does installing a 340/350W bios on a 320W limited card give some gains, while installing a 375W Bios doesn't show gains above the 350W bios.

The answer?
    They are monitoring all kinds of things, which is power going into each section of the GPU core, the various rails and bus's, the memory subsystem, the memory itself and applying hard limits to each of them. You can find yourself in a situation where you have a leaky GPU core that is using more power for a given voltage / clock speed point, compared to good silicon and hitting another such limit that you don't know about and don't get told about. I would call these trip zones, they have both hard and soft limits. I know for a fact that the 2080Ti reference design has hard limit trip zones because that is what is happening when the card locks to 1300MHz and some arbitrary lower voltage when everything else seems in check. I've seen it happen during my own testing.

There is nothing wrong with the ftw3 PCB, someone much smarter and much more qualified than these mouth breathing techtubers designed it that way to keep it working when unexpected things happen.