NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. coolroy

coolroy Member

I was initially disillusioned with my 3090 up until i ran Flight sim 2020.

Though i only run 3440 by 1440 due to that being max res of monitor it really does look awesome using this card.

Was really looking for the vulcan version of the card, that version having a better heatsink/power delivery.

Yet so far i see in game performance using typically 99% of gpu load and temps in the 60-66C range & silent!

Now not having my dual water blocked GTX1080's & all the rads /pump,reservoir, etc i get decent performance, no noise & less maintenance.

So i have changed my mind on how i view the 3090's & give them (well my card version) a full 5stars.

Also have to keep in my mind that a fair number of people on here I would suspect would have Gsync monitors which would be of little use if using say the new AMD range.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    nCrypt likes this.
  2. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i never bought GSYNC monitors because i refused to pay the $100-$150 more over the Freesync versions.

and now there is very little need for locking yourself into Gsync

my Dell 32" 165hz 1440p, and Kogan 34" 3440x1440p 100hz monitors are both Freesync monitors, and both are Gsync Compatible, and both run Gsync flawlessly.

id feel like an idiot if i had a Gsync monitor, and wanted to try RX6000 cards, goodluck.

335 GT and coolroy like this.
  3. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

A heap of owners would have had the Gsync monitors long before Freesync was a thing I'd bet.

4. Bass

Bass Member

I have an early GSYNC monitor, which is a large part of the reason I went for the 3080. I would have definitely been split between AMD/NVIDIA if I was on Freesync. Don't feel like an idiot tho so that's good.

coolroy likes this.
  5. coolroy

coolroy Member

Yep i think i got my Gsync monitor a couple years back when I decided to go ultrawide screen, previously had 40" 4K screen, but that only had a max refresh rate of 60Hz if memory serves me correctly, and had tearing due to lack of gsync.

If I was buying a new monitor now I would definitely want one that could handle Gsync & Free sync.

Oh and would also want HDR.....none on my current monitor..:eek:

If i win lotto what monitor would you suggest with my current rig?

6. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Ah, maybe my comments were quite biased.

but never really had ghosting issues ever anyway, so never needed or warranted the extra price of a GSYNC Monitor.

Valid point. something i didnt consider.

But i purchased a new monitor in September, and there was absolutely no way i was buying a GSYNC monitor haha.

I did research, and bought a FreeSync Pro 2 monitor, which is GSYNC compatible, and plenty of reviews showing it working. Just so i had option for Freesync and Gsync

Not even using Gsync at present as 3dMark wanted me to turn it off for benching, havng turned it back on, and tbh notice zero difference between having it on and off in the games i play.

Bass likes this.
  7. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

went from QNIX 27" overclocked to 144hz to Asus PG278Q when it came out, and the difference was significant, G-sync is very nice to have especially if you frames are dropping below 100fps (some games its more noticeable than others)...this was when Freesync didn't even existed, so the decision was either nothing or G-sync, also initially when FreeSync launched from memory it was fairly limited around the supported range. Back then it was no brainer for me considering the amount of time I used to spend in front of the monitor.

These days, with AMD back on track and Freesync available, it's definitely a harder choice especially when upgrading, but that damn Dell aw2721d panel, my finders are itchy :D

coolroy likes this.
  8. Bass

Bass Member

Oh yeah not a chance in hell I'd lock myself into either nowadays. Well, into GSYNC I guess. Is it even still possible to get a new monitor and be locked into GSYNC? Haven't researched them in the past few years,

nCrypt likes this.
  9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

New gsync modules are compatible with amd cards too I believe so its not as big of a thing these days. Of course it took AMD to adopt an open version first for it to be forced both ways, usually how it goes (though the opposite may be happening with SAM, how the turn tables).

Obligatory I am happy with my 3080 comment here. Really I am over graphics card supply entirely this year and am mostly just happy to be out of the f5 race and have something in my build to enjoy. Life goes on now, I'll not be in this rat race again for a few years. Next thing I am looking forward to is 144hz 4K 32" monitors.

sskmercer and nCrypt like this.
  10. Trizae

Trizae Member

11. ska'

ska' Member

Only for new monitors though, they're not releasing firmware updates to support which is pretty fucking annoying for those of us locked into Gsync only.

coolroy likes this.
  12. connico

connico Member

I've been running the 3080 for the past few weeks (thanks to Plonkflopped ). Its an upgrade from the 2080S I was running. Had to upgrade my PSU from 650 to 850 to ensure stability. Had a couple of restarts due to PSU issues under load. After replacement its been stable.

Looking at doing a custom loop for it in the new year... so definitely dont regret paying a premium for the card. I've got friends waiting for cards that they ordered on launch... so yeah... lol no regrets lol

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  13. metalrain

metalrain Member

So I have the opportunity to get an RTX 3080 Suprim X from a reliable source. Should I or not? :Paranoid:

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Yes

coolroy and Nethiuz like this.
  15. metalrain

metalrain Member

I would have to abandon my mini-ITX lifestyle though...

[​IMG]

It's the T H I C C B O I on the far right :wired:

16. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Possibly even too long for an NR200 at 336mm, that's a big boy

Nethiuz likes this.
  17. metalrain

metalrain Member

Yeah definitely wouldn't fit in almost all true SFF cases

18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

My 3080 MSI Suprim X has shipped, holy heck do i have an actual card in the post after 2 months of trying? Bless the GPU gods.

I don't know if it will fit the case, i will hacksaw the shit if i have to. I also have a vertical mount i think it won't fit.

19. Bass

Bass Member

The shroud of my Trinity literally goes past the fan grill of my front fan. I had to be sort of bend the grill to get the card into the slot. Luckily it doesn't touch the fan blade but she's close.

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

I had an early AOC freesync monitor which caused flickering if ran at 144hz, I was able to return it to ARC Computers for a full refund under ACL and I got a PG348Q (3400x1440 100hz G-Sync) used here on the forums for around $800 back in March last year, it's been absolutely worry free and has some other advantages over freesync/gsync compat, which is variable overdrive. That said I'm not sure how noticeable that really even is and there's no way I'd have paid the gigantic price premium for the monitor at release. What is frustrating is the scaler is donkeys years old and can't drive anything better than 50hz at 2560x1440 over HDMI so good luck running a console on the secondary input.

nCrypt likes this.