NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. coolroy

coolroy Member

True i thought the same....then went and got a 3090 because i could buy local without waiting, duh.

Nice new parts for computer geeks which probably count for most in this thread at least are far too tempting, no matter the price.

However once you have completed your benchmark runs & just reverted to using your pc for every day usage you start to wonder, was it all worth it?

If you have a half decent pc already even a 3090's upgrade wont be that startling imho.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. Phido

Phido Member

This. I think we have hit peak FOMO..

Price speculation has pushed the prices right up to the next tier. Basic 3070 8gb cards are more expensive that the 3080 10Gb cards (and approaching double RRP), the 3080 are now approaching nearly double RRP as well.
    TMSC is making AMD and Samsung is making Nvidia on proven node size. Really there is solid supply behind all this. both have memory diversity. Both have just launched too early to not have enough stock at hand the price speculation has exploded. Neither is on a crippling large die, and both will be harvesting lots of volume from binning.

There are literally factories churning these out be the tens of thousands every day.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, I certainly do understand the draw to nice new exxy shiny pc parts, especially something like a graphics card. Unless you get lucky, as I did to a degree, you're going to put yourself out of pocket, sometimes significantly, just for the latest card that you can't wait for. When 3000 series launched I said I wasn't going to be a part of it, and I let people order away. I was resigned to waiting until 2021 to get one. I ended up picking one up for a decent price with little to no hassle and only a few weeks after release iirc; it was really pretty easy in the end, a lot easier than I thought. Perhaps I just got really lucky but I wasn't the only one able to snipe one off sites with random stock popups. But I can tell you one thing, I'll be doing exactly the same thing next time I need to upgrade at launch time.

coolroy likes this.
  4. Phido

Phido Member

Well I've broken down and preordered at PLE at 3080.
    This will at least stop me from ordering a 3070 at crazy prices. Which clearly I was very close to doing. Dam FOMO.

The jump from 3070 to 3080 is huge. 50% more cores and 70% more bandwidth and 25% more memory capacity. You would be bonkers to throw that away IMO for something that is for today.
    I'll break the pre-order for an in stock 6800xt ~$1050, or 3070 for <=$800 in stock. Or a instock 3080 for <$1200. But not for a same priced (ie $1000+) 3070 in stock.

While my 1060 3Gb is pretty old and pretty lame, I can certainly live with it until the great shortage ends. I'm sure there are desperate people, maybe people who need it for work, who need it asap. I'm not that desperate.

coolroy likes this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Congrats. Do you have an ETA with them?

6. jekel

jekel Member

Also interested to know did you have to pay full amount with the pre order? Some people have mentioned full fee, some said they only paid a small fee?

7. sanjay

sanjay Member

I think there would be a mutiny if someone who pre-ordered a 3080 today from PLE had an ETA, given so many people who ordered weeks ago don't...

Was looking at the various 3080s today for shits and giggles. Blimey why are they all such long bois? the zotac trinity and galax SG are both 32cm long. would be struggling to fit them in my S340 with a front mounted radiator.

It's all academic, at any rate. :p

8. Phido

Phido Member

Not yet.

Will have to report back. AFAIK yes, they will charge full price for the preorder. IMO that is okay, as they are getting cards in and shipping them out, so it really is a logistics thing. I don't preorder that way if stock hasn't shipped at all.
    edit: They charge in full.

My personal expectation is orders will be filled in a few weeks (ie before Christmas). Maybe that happens, maybe not. In 3 weeks I expect the situation to be different, either 3070's to be available and cheap, 3080 to be available and at RRP, 6800xt to be available at RRP.

Like I said, the main motivation is to stop me from doing something stupid like buying a 3070 for $1200. Which I would regret almost instantly. I would be returning that card as soon as it shipped to me, unopened. And I would be disappointed and unhappy.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  9. HardstyleFlavor

HardstyleFlavor Member

Got delayed again until the 21/12

Wow.

FatBoy likes this.
  10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

That is spectacularly shitty... worse part is you don't even know if it'll turn up then either.

If people pre-ordering 2 months ago still haven't received cards... and are getting new etas of Xmas time... good luck to ye if you order today lol

That said I put my second pre-order for a ps5 in with a different business and got one a week later while my original launch order is still nowhere to be seen to might get lucky with the right SKU and retailer combo I guess

11. sanjay

sanjay Member

I honestly think you are dreaming if you think PLE's pre-orders made today are going to be fulfilled before christmas.

and I would be amazed if stock gets anywhere close to RRP in the next 3 - 6 months. the big reason why demand is so high for these cards is because of COVID - everyone is at home, noone is travelling, those who can afford it have disposable income and a lot of free time. theres no sign of the pandemic easing any time soon, especially as it seems we wont be getting vaccines in Australia until at least Q2 2021 (and probably later as the demand will be intense from the northern hemisphere economies that are being rat-fucked by it now).

12. Bass

Bass Member

PLE supposedly getting a shipment of the EVGA 30 series Hybrids towards the end of December. Unfortunately I'm assuming it'll be like 5 cards, no prices yet.

Skramit likes this.
  13. Skramit

Skramit Member

Interesting. I asked them 2 weeks ago:

14. Bass

Bass Member

This was yesterday, don't think it's anything close to a definite. I know the EVGA store in the states is expecting their first batch to ship soon.

15. Phido

Phido Member

Just to clarify, my plan isn't really depending on them delivering before Christmas on a 3080. But I expect things to become clearer by then.

But all things being equal the card I want is a 3080 so I will pre order that.
    If someone else has something decent at fair price I will buy that instead.

If January rolls round, we might find that 3070's are in stock and priced reasonably ($800), fine get one of those. Or perhaps 6800xt's are possibilities ($1000). I would get one of those.
    Maybe nothing is available and its clear there is 6 months of back orders. Well, cancel the preorder re-assess.

As we found with the AMD CPU's there can be certain SKU's that are just in crazy demand, like the 5900x. If I wasn't more flexible, I would probably still be waiting for my 5900x preorder to come through. But when 5950x's turned up in stock, it was easy for me to ditch the preorder and get that instead. Very happy with that.

From all accounts the 3080's are way over subscribed, some specific SKU probably more so than others. People probably have multiple pre-orders, scalpers have orders etc. Which is why a lot of places have stopped pre-orders. Its not worth the time to take something that is highly likely to be cancelled and never ship.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 3070 become pretty available, Its flicking in and out of stock at half a dozen places right now, just still at crazy prices. Apparently the demand for the 6800xt is much, much less than the 3080 as well, we could be one or two big deliveries from that clearing pre-orders and basically being semi available.

I guess we will see. Yes I am skeptical that I would get an actual 3080 by Christmas. I am certainly not telling people to expect that particularly card to be available then.

Trizae, nope, darkbastard and 2 others like this.
  16. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

Great, my PLE 3080 finally shipped a week ago, Auspost delayed it and and hadn’t updated it for days when it was due to be delivered Friday so I called them and they said it might be lost and opened a case, I let PLE know it may be lost and asked them to check with Auspost on their end and gave them the case details. Now PLE have requested it be returned to sender with no communication or anything, right before it was updated with that it showed it was in the next suburb over. This is ridiculous...

17. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

I genuinely feel for you. Your order must of just been behind mine. I had an ETA of 20/11 which went to 30/11 then 1/12. Today my order has changed to being 'In stock' which I presume means they will dispatch to me soon.

Sorry again to hear that yours is a bit more off.

18. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I think that the 6800xt situation will become a lot clearer at the end of this week. That's when the AIB cards are actually supposed to come in stock, so once that happens and we see how quickly they go and how long it takes to restock... that will give a good indication on how things might go moving forward. I would have loved to wait and see, but I just happened to luck into the 3080 I bought and now am an interested watcher lol. Though if the 6800xt's are in stock at a decent price I might be tempted to swap back and sell the Zotac Holo lol.

Damn, that's gotta suck. Sorry to hear, dude. Hopefully they can sort it pretty quickly.

19. Bertross

Bertross Member

everyone can buy what they can now and we can all play swapsies in 2021

ricmc, Skramit and raincloudx like this.
  20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

lol wtf is wrong with these tools. Light em up on their socials.

metalrain and coolroy like this.