NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Just had a decent session of Doom Eternal after forgetting i did an undervolt. 3080 TUF OC.
    Max temp of 67*c.
    Avg of 65*c.
    Fan ~65%.
    Utilisation consistent 98%
    Clock a constant 1830Mhz.

I set it to about 825mV from 1815Mhz upwards in the volt curve.

I don't know what's normal or if it's good tbh but very happy overall with this card. I was very hesistant coming from custom water with the 1080Ti Strix OC but not disappointed with air on this.

gtarmanrob likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Please don't tell me you have been waiting since launch night!?? :Paranoid:

3. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Skramit and MR CHILLED like this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

5. Geno

Geno Member

I'd have gone full Karen if I'd waited 100+ days..

genxor, Gibbon and MR CHILLED like this.
  6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Interesting, just noticed that if I run raytracing in cold war while streaming via cpu encoder I become cpu bottlenecked... Ray tracing using quite a bit of extra CPU power as it turns out

Edit: water-cooled 3900x

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  7. Onyx

Onyx Member

I had been on the fence way too long regarding buying a GPU of this generation. As Covid cases look to be getting worse in the near future, and it looks like we're going remain at home a bit longer, I finally bit the bullet and got myself a RTX 3070, Inno3D ichill x4 model. 3 fans, triple slot, 300mm in length - slightly longer than Asus, GB or MSI 3 fan models.

Power limit is 240W out of the box, and can be raised to 260W. Default factory OC is a slight 3%. So far I've undervolted it at 875mV at 1860Mhz, left everything else alone. Fan set to auto, it's at 36% under load crunching a folding@home work unit. Power consumption is 120W deadset nearly halved!

By default it would boost core clocks just a touch above 2Ghz, 2060Mhz is the highest I've seen it peak. 70 degrees stock under load; 54 degrees undervolted. Currently crunching through a folding@home work unit over the next few hours. Cyberpunk may be the only thing that would challenge this card, given I'm currently only on 1080p res. Even Metro Exodus with Ray Tracing set to extreme is a walk in the park for this card.

th3_hawk, Trizae, groovetek and 4 others like this.
  8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I wish I never left 1080p lol

Your results above show how far out of their efficiency sweet spot these 30 series cards are running

Geno likes this.
  9. Geno

Geno Member

4k for the past 3 years has been extremely cruel, Cyberpunk 2077 and RDR2 forced me to upgrade. Slightly tempted by 49" Ultramegawide as there's less pixels to push but worried about games letterboxing..

10. The Beast

The Beast Member

That's odd. I wouldn't have thought CPU would be affected that much, that's the entire point of the RT cores. I wonder if anyone has done empirical testing to see how much CPU is loaded across RT titles.

Why wouldn't you use NVENC for streaming?

11. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

Did you just undervolt using Afterburner? I got no dramas with temps or anything but wouldnt mind doing it

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Because I have 24 cpu threads and didn't need gpu encoding before. NVENC isn't the holy grail, it still has a performance cost so I wouldn't use it if I didn't have to (and likely still won't use it outside of cold war). Interesting to me is that my CPU utilisation was 80% and GPU usage 80% also, but because of the loading of the CPU I guess the all core clock dropped enough that the game was unhappy, at 60% cpu load the GPU utilisation was back to 100% - and with RTX off/ DLSS off the problem goes away entirely.

I made the move to 1440p way too early.. like I had a gtx 760 kind of too early. I got a 4k monitor when I had a gtx 970, don't know what I was thinking. Whenever my buddies ask what monitor they get I just tell them unless you're willing to buy an expensive GPU just stick to 1080p60... once you experience better it's too hard to go back.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Sipheren likes this.
  13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I find using the CPU to be far less of an impact compared to either of the GPU encoders, plus it looks better imo.

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

CPU encode does look better, less compression blocking. If you use 6k bitrate (which I do) they do look pretty similar though

15. The Beast

The Beast Member

Fair enough, I’ve been nothing but impressed by NVENC and that was just on my 1080Ti. I was encoding (recording not streaming) 4k60 with HDR at max bitrate and it was using <4% additional GPU. I imagine the that load would be far less on an Ampere card!

16. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

Just had a look at this as I was considering getting a 3070 and blocking it for my second system. Be aware that EK explicitly state that the block is Aluminium, and not to be used with other materials:

upload_2021-1-1_14-12-12.png

upload_2021-1-1_14-12-42.png

So this may impact choices.... :(

17. dipe

dipe Member

Wait what?!? They are selling aluminum blocks again? I've got a 8700k+1080ti in a full EK fluid gaming custom loop I was more than happy with until CP2077 came out. I have been going back and forth on selling for air cooling so I can upgrade GPU.

Off I go to research. Thanks!!!! :)

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

My entire loop is EK except for 3 angle fittings generously given to me by another ocower that may be brass

edit: my am4 block is nickel, hmmm

Guess I will avoid that block then, cheers

19. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

If all your other components are EK fluid gaming, then I'd be amazed if this wasn't compatible given they state it is for Fluid Gaming setups. Whether you'd be able to go backwards from the 11GB VRAM of the 1080Ti to the 8GB of the 3070 will be another concern.

Found this one if you're still interested in going the WC route:
    https://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-...px-n-rtx-3070-gaming-twin-edge-with-backplate

That should be compatible with your Nickel block, though this one hasn't released yet.

mesaoz likes this.
  20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Holy shit does it have enough o rings? Lol