NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. The Beast

The Beast Member

I actually get a warm and fuzzy from that graph that 10GB of vram is going to be just fine for gaming for at least the life of the 3080.

1) CP2077 is the new Crysis of PC punishers. It’s unlikely to get much harder than this often, if at all for many years.
    2) CP2077 is still pretty buggy. Why does the ray tracing in that chart use almost 3Gb more vram at 4K? Even TechPowerUp don’t know.
    3) At absolute Max settings WITHOUT ray tracing, 4K vram usage was a poultry 7.2Gb.
    4) Tech is emerging that should diminish the reliance on vram as a catch all buffer for game developers, such as RTX-IO / DirectStorage.
    5) In the rare corner cases where a handful of games over the next few years are able to use more than 10Gb at 4K, this will only be at Ultra/Insane settings, remediated by a simple graphic setting adjustment to dial it back a single notch.

We just aren’t going to see average game vram usage increase without a corresponding increase in resolution. I think the 20Gb of a potential 3080Ti is a waste unless you want to game in 8K, or can use it for creativity production, or perhaps you want to run some of the more demanding VR sets that are 5K and up. Even then I think the number of times over 10Gb would be rare.

Skramit and Geno like this.
  2. Reedy

Reedy Member

Probably because the 3080ti is gonna cost $2000?

3. OJR

OJR Member

And probably won't be available to buy till 2022.

4. PJDeane

PJDeane New Member

This is the way.

I've almost had my fill of Cyberpunk. I'll chill out with older games for a while... half the new-ish AAA games are just half-arsed console ports anyway, no need to break the bank.

OC d likes this.
  5. Scum

Scum Member

about the same time the 3080 preorders will arrive :lol:

OJR, Geno and Gibbon like this.
  6. havabeer

havabeer Member

Its more the 3090 owners you have to feel sorry for if the card comes out with similar or better performance for less.

7. jekel

jekel Member

I did some brief testing on my Suprim X. In Heaven benchmark overclocked I saw board power jump up to 413W (430W standard bios) so seems fine here.

Below is power draw on the 8 pins on Heaven not overclocked, jumps around a bit but definitely not even. How uneven are you getting on the FTW3?

[​IMG]

8. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

9. groovetek

groovetek Member

Running Furmark on Aorus Xtreme RTX3080 shows very even power draw from all 3 connectors - I'd be surprised with the EVGA one if this varies from card to card...

Attached Files:

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And 6 months into the pre-orders for the 4080 series :cool:

11. Luke212

Luke212 Member

if you look at the % drop at 4K vs other games, Cyberpunk is not even maxing out 3GB at 4K, let alone 8GB

if the 3GB was causing issues, you would see a larger % drop vs larger capacity of the same era. but you dont see that.

people who dont write computer games dont really understand why VRAM usage does not = VRAM stress. its just repeated endlessly. and doesnt pan out in benchmarks, which is your truth stick to measure by.

The Beast likes this.
  12. Geno

Geno Member

[​IMG]

Couldn't get the SUPRIM to draw 430w. Fairly uneven PCI-E voltages compared to the Gigabyte. PSU is a Corsair 1200i, Pin2+3 are daisy chained.

I've had a motherboard and the FTW3 Ultra sitting in Melbourne since the 30th with no movement despite paying for Express, not sure what AustPost are doing. I'm also getting nervous over the EVGA PCI-E/Black screen-gate as this SUPRIM is getting picked up tomorrow.

13. jekel

jekel Member

Heres my Suprim for comparison. Overclocked settings pulls over the 430w but uneven PCI-E voltages too compared to the Gigabyte. PSU is Corsair HX1200. All PCI-E pins are from separate cables.

What is the EVGA PCI-E/Black screen-gate? Do many of their cards get this issue?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  14. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Picked up the card this afternoon and all good.

Benchmarks incoming. Very happy - it's an unbelievably quiet and cool card.

jpw007, OJR and raincloudx like this.
  15. OJR

OJR Member

Well done! Enjoy the card my man.

16. Soda

Soda Member

I also have a Suprim, is there anything that should be done interms of daisy chain from the power supplier?
    Currently only running 2 lines from the power supplier (SF750) so 2 of the pins are daisy chained.
    Should i:
    1. run 3 lines from the power supplier?
    2. run 2 lines, but have Left and middle daisy chained?
    3. run 2 lines, but have middle and right daisy chained?
    4. doesnt matter at all.

17. James086

James086 Member

Run 3 directly from the power supply for best results. People have had instability due to daisy chaining although you might be lucky and it remains stable with your current setup.

18. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

My ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC was delivered today. I just need to build my system now, preferably before it is outdated.

19. illu

illu Member

Where did you get it from mate?

20. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

I'm running my 3080 Strix OC off 2 lines on my SF750 and no issues so far - just installed the cables randomly :S

Soda likes this.