NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

... Why?

2. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

How much of a performance increase will this actually result in? Any speculation?

3. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

If you installed Windows without first turning CSM off, it will be configured as non-UEFI. It will NOT boot if you enable Resizable BAR Support (Smart Access Memory).

You will need to reinstall Windows with CSM support disabled.

4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'm genuinely surprised that people wouldn't be using UEFI and instead is using BIOS?

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

6. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

If it just to convert MBR to GPT to enable UEFi in windows you can convert the boot drive without reinstalling windows now.
    Win10 now has a built in util to do it.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

7. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

I cheated when I upgraded to the x570-F. Just slapped my SSD in there and let windows do it's thing. Been fine since.

Edit:
    Thanks.

8. boneburner

boneburner Member

I'm guessing it's to combat the almost universal criticism that 8gb was embarrassingly low for a modern GPU - not that it made any difference in most tests run. So they saved some bucks spreading the vram thin on the initial launch products & now get to sell the (almost) same product with tiny 'improvements' - win win

9. groovetek

groovetek Member

Who here has actually hit the 8GB on the 3060ti whilst using a combination of settings where they were sitting at or above 60fps?

10. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I couldn't when I had one. Push everything up in 4k Cyberpunk and no problems.

11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Looks like the bykski zotac 3070 block is available now

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001869379491.html

The oem zotac backplate gets blistering hot and does have thermal pads to suck heat from the back of the board, hopefully the block and this oe backplate can be used at the same time

edit: shipping time is a killer lol, almost a month

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  12. Sunder

Sunder Member

Yeah, I disagree with this. I've done a Comp Sci degree including hardware engineering, and worked in the industry for 25 years. I know what each part do, the role of memory buses, how software handles things like page faults etc. What I do know:

1) The TI is faster on processing
    2) The TI will have faster memory access due to its wider bus
    3) The TI will get smashed, if the game requires (not just pre-allocates) more memory than the TI can provide.

What I don't know?
    A) How much memory games I might want to play will take. Today and next year.

Basic performance reviews mean jack, if they don't accurately represent the games I like to play, and the rest of my system. (I mean, if someone is going budget build, did they choose SATA or M.2 SATA over PCIE SSDs, and will that interface make a big difference especially if the card is loading textures repeatedly because the GPU memory is too small? What if I've chewed up too many PCI lanes with extra SSDs, or a thunderbolt card?). No reviewer will consider any of this shit.

This means what the reviewers report, which usually runs off top end machinery so as to not bottle neck the card, may not be what Joe Blogs the plumber gets, because his system is different. That said. It's a gaming card. You can always buy it and be disappointed. It's only a few hundred bucks, not remortgaging the house. Now a 3090...

13. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah ok, and if you read one or two reviews or look at some performance charts with a wide range of current games at your desired resolution then you will be able to deduce by the performance figures whether or not the vram amount is likely to be a constraint for you. Hint: 9 times out of 10 it is not if you have 8gb+ and enough bandwidth. Nobody knows what the requirements will be like 2 or 3 years from now, you will likely be up for an upgrade then before vram is your concern too if you are buying a midrange card and want to play with settings at the top end.

14. genxor

genxor Member

I think the closest I got was about 6gb and that certainly wasn't above 60fps

15. Sunder

Sunder Member

Yeah, sounds like the comments about CP2077 not needing 8GB+ is a good sign. But still, usually better off for manufacturers to put their cards into clear "ranges" or design for an intent. (E.g. Tesla cards vs genuine Gaming GPUs)

jjjc_93 likes this.
  16. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I do actually agree with you there, it is getting messier as time goes on.

17. groovetek

groovetek Member

When I had my RTX3070, I was able to get Watchdogs and Cyberpunk to max out the 8GB. At this point however, ie. when I was sitting at say 7700mb+, the combination of settings had my FPS down around 40fps.

Next-gen/future games will likely push the GPU processing/performance requirements higher. The point is, at the point where 8GB VRAM becomes an issue, currently and in the future, the FPS will be at an undesirably low point anyway.

In Cyberpunk when I'm sitting around 40fps or so and when it hits over 100% VRAM utilisation, there is a noticeable dip in FPS, around 5-6fps as I guess the system has to resort to swapping data in and out, dropping to low to mid 30's. Then when it dips back to high 7xxx mb, my FPS jumps back up to 40.

So IMO, the RTX3070 is verging on 8GB not being enough. The 3060Ti is well matched with 8GB. Future games will more easily max out 8gb, but at the same time, more easily strain the GPU down to an undesirable frame rate.

18. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

19. The Beast

The Beast Member

Lies! It's 2021, everyone knows 4K assets are now all >12GB!!!!

But the games won't require that unless they extremely poorly designed, and that's the point. 12GB is a silly match for a 3060Ti, and in 99% of use cases gamers won't see the benefit of it carrying an extra 4Gb over a 3070.

Sure, if you run 4K RT with ultra settings you can tank performance on a 3070, I'm willing to bet if you dialed back to "High" to match the 3070's capabilities the VRAM usage would also scale appropriately and be well within the card's capacity. Likewise if you enable DLSS you'll instantly return to within budget and get back a boatload of performance.

These corner cases are not indicators of a linearly linearly increasing resource demand for games of the future - they will basically take the same resources that they currently do for a given resolution.

Did you know if you run CP2077 at 8K on a 6900XT you can also max out the 16GB VRAM? :tongue:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  20. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Probably not at the framerate it would be running at