NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah, because 2080ti's didn't universally drop to sub 1k in the wake of the 3080 announcement..:rolleyes: If you paid $600 less for your card, you're ahead. A couple of months is nothing over the grand span of a few years that quite a few will likely hold onto their card for. Not all of us upgrade every gen.

I'm not in the winner's circle of people who got the cheap cards either, but I'm not about to perform mental gymnastics to justify paying overs for a card that is now mostly just idling :D

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Leadtek with an apparent eta of the 29th January 2021 if anyone wants to get off the ridiculous PLE launch night bandwagon :leet:

[Pre Order] Leadtek GeForce RTX 3080 HURRICANE $1479 + Delivery (Free C&C) @ CPL Online

A couple of months? :lol:

3. Skramit

Skramit Member

PLE updated my ETA to today... part of me thinks instead of 20 Jan they actually mean 20 Feb...typo perhaps?:lol:

4. The Beast

The Beast Member

^^^ This. Having a 1080Ti mean there was no way I was forking out 400-600 more to save a few weeks.

Some people got their cards immediately, many within a month, most people got their cards within 3 months. People sat up on launch night because we already knew stock would be extremely limited, and would be for the rest of 2020 - so people wanted to get as far forward in the queue as possible. I ordered 9 hours after launch and still got mine within 3 months... for $1260.

....and their net loss is $400-600 less regardless. This is basic maths mate, not sure why you're resisting it so hard.

It all comes down to your own cost benefit equation.
    Many people will have their ampere card for at least 2 years, you somehow think 4-12 weeks (3.8% to 11.5% of total lifetime) of "use" is worth $400-600 (31.7% - 47.6%) more, I strongly disagree.
    If you're using this for productivity, or to make money (streaming, esports), sure that justification may be easy. The vast majority of us however are buying these to play a few games, a few months doesn't mean crap.
    As jjjc_93 said, what games have landed that could possibly justify a $400-$600 early access fee?

I'm personally using my saved coin to put a nice waterblock on. At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I know watercooling makes no financial sense to most people, and certainly isn't required to "play a few games", but I enjoy it and it meets my cost benefit equation (noise, stability, aesthetics). Each to their own eh?

Maco88, rh1n0 and jjjc_93 like this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

And have you received it today? :lol:

Ah good old PLE :leet:

Edit; ooops, forgot my reply.

You don;t know that. You only know what was listed on the sheet. But what we do know is many many have gone unfulfilled, and we are now four months down the track. How long before new cards are out.

Absolute BS. A few months is a eternity for people who waited up on launch night. These people are enthusiasts and incredibly eager. Most were hoping desperately to have their cards before crissy, alas they did not get them. These are also people with money, they don't need to save the difference by waiting 4 months, or even longer....it's about getting a card in hand as soon as possible. The whole 3000 release has been a mega balls up. Not sure why you're denying/resisting this.

Quite hypocritical as you have said.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  6. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Thanks, where do you recommend?

Thank you for the information, looks like the card i want (eVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 10GB GDDR6X) wont be in stock for a while

7. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

The true winners are the ones who held their preorders at PLE and bought a 3080 in the meantime, and then sold that 3080 for cost price or a profit once the PLE order comes in :thumbup:

The Beast, groovetek and Skramit like this.
  8. Bass

Bass Member

I'm a true winner cuz mom said I am

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

A particular 3080 or any store for a 3080?

10. Skramit

Skramit Member

That’s me. Hopefully.

11. heslo

heslo Member

My EK block for my FTW3 Ultra just shipped; happy days!

The Beast, macktheknife and Trizae like this.
  12. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

I stayed up at launch and ordered a EVGA for 1189 I think it was.

I cancelled it a month later, as figured my 2080TI would do for now.

I really wish I hadn't done that.

"Surely things will come right next year"

13. Trizae

Trizae Member

Ouch! I'm part of that ple early evga 3080 $1199 club :lol: glad I did these prices and everything surrounding post launch for tech is disappoint for those who missed out

14. Sunder

Sunder Member

I don't know about that. I got outraged at the way this launch was handled and said I would skip this gen. At first there was a bit of remorse, but the more I watch this train wreck, the less I regret it.

I kinda keep telling myself that the 30X0 series was so botched because Covid limited supply, lockdown increased demand, and too many people skipped the 20X0 series as poor value, forcing many to upgrade.

So, I'm thinking second half of 2022, just weeks after some PLE launch night buyers get their cards, the 4080 will get scalped for a few weeks, and then there will be plenty of stock. Hopefully more than one buggy game with a real need for RTX, and genuine 4k capability.

Till then... I guess I'm turning down the detail on my 1080ti

15. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Any store for a 3080.

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I'm just glad I didn't give in and sell 2080ti for $700 when the panic began.

I am also glad I didn't click buy on a 3080.. It would hurt me more then it should when the 3060 comes out and has more memory :lol:

17. PureFire

PureFire Member

I see where you are coming from, but to add my own 2c, the loss you are referencing isn't universal. I paid $1399 and had the card in my hands on 28Sep from PCCG.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  18. groovetek

groovetek Member

Been struggling with this a little personally - is this scalping to some extent?

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Huh? It's not even a grey area, it is scalping by definition.

20. groovetek

groovetek Member

That's fair enough, but it's a very realistic situation that raincloudx outlined. Preorder on launch day, get sick of waiting, then a 3080 pops up and you buy it, use it for awhile, then your ETA shows up for the original 3080 that you wanted, then you go to sell the 3080 you had bought and used for a few weeks/months. You are then faced with 2 decisions - sell it at exactly what you paid for it, or sell it for abit more than you bought it for - in either scenario, someone snaps it up the same day.

Skramit likes this.