1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx, Sep 1, 2020.

1. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

My EK Quantum Waterblock should also be delivered today, was a long trip from Slovenia indeed. Will let you know how my PNY 3090 goes under water, it is very happy at 0.862V and running the Gigabyte Gaming OC 390W bios.

Will see what I can push it too.....might only get the block fitted on the weekend though, let’s see....

ska' likes this.
  2. PureFire

PureFire Member

After a few hours of troubleshooting Ive discovered my PSU (EVGA G2 850W) has died, which I'm pretty sure is due to all the extra power the 3080 is drawing. It was 5+ years old with I would estimate 30k hours of usage so its not too bad but not great either. I thought the EVGA PSUs were decent and would last double that, but apparently not.

Replacing it is the Corsair AX1000 Titanium which according to reviews Ive seen online is a very good unit. I would like a Seasonic but you cant find them in stock anywhere.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  3. heslo

heslo Member

What were the symptoms? I only ask as I have the same PSU with roughly the same age

4. Skramit

Skramit Member

I’m 99% sure the ax1000 titanium is literally made by seasonic for Corsair.

5. PureFire

PureFire Member

I had 2 random shutdowns a few weeks apart. Booted up fine right after with no issues. Then the 3rd and final shutdown it wouldnt boot again. Fans would spin up, power leds would be lit up, but then the CPU QLED on the motherboard flashed a single red signal and it would turn off. I went through troubleshooting ram, gpu, unplugging everything unnecessary, clearing CMOS, replacing motherboard battery, till finally using a spare PSU which booted fine.

heslo likes this.
  6. The Beast

The Beast Member

Very nice.

Quite how you got that Port Royal score is beyond me though. I've compared your run to my best and from what I can tell I was pulling higher Mhz on both core and mem, temps were within a degree - so the only difference is CPU (not a factor in PR?!) and display driver version. I've soft tested my mem at that speed (+1100) and I'm pretty sure it's before the ECC kicks in, but either way I don't think that would make 300 points of difference. Perhaps CPU does factor in? I'm on a Gen 4 PCI-E board, but that's clearly not a factor here, I'm almost tempted to roll back display driver version just to see if that's the kicker!

Comparison PR 12868 vs 12545 (3dmark.com)

7. demowhc

demowhc Member

groovetek likes this.
  8. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Loving that view! :D

The Beast likes this.
  9. groovetek

groovetek Member

No idea, but if you look at the leaderboards for RTX3080's they still go far beyond my score so I don't think mine was anything noteworthy.

I see your point re: your clock speeds were similar if not abit higher in general. Did you test slowing down your VRAM a little in case it was error correcting a little (and thus dropping performance)?

I don't think CPU makes any diff in PR; I previously had an RTX3070, and initially on an old 3rd gen i7-3770k and I didn't even gain any points moving to my 10700k upgrade... so yeah the 300 points is purely in the GPU I would say.

Edit:

I can see that lapping out those bumps in the copper heatsink over the GPU has definitely helped. There's more in this for sure as I pretty much got the same score as I did in the run I linked originally and that was a nice cold 17-18°C day, whereas it's pretty hot in Melbourne today, and I don't have aircon in my room.

Port Royal on latest/current nVidia driver (shows "Driver Not Approved") - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-10700KF Processor,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z490M GAMING X (3dmark.com)

The Beast likes this.
  10. ska'

ska' Member

K.O'd my card (PNY 3080) flashing a higher Wattage bios... Weird af as I'd previous used the bios so something must have stuffed up...

Anyone have an AMD APU in Canberra spare lols?? I can't get nvflash to work in freedos so I might have to get a hold of an APU as my board is ITX and don't want to break down the loop to get the card out into another system.

EDIT: Scrap that AMD APU's aren't compatible with B550, super helpful.

11. Supersize

Supersize Member

What BIOS did you hit it with?
    Did it just flash and not boot again?

I keep a old GT 610 around just for that situation, saved my neck a few times over the years, most systems I've had never had onboard graphics, so it also was a good stand in for RMA times.

12. ska'

ska' Member

Evga xc3, used it before no problems... Wanted to test to see if I got more MHz now I'm under water with the extra watts.

I have another GPU (crappy Radeon thing) and it boots into windows etc, lack of a 2nd Pcie slot is killing my ability to fix it quickly :(

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

We might be able to get nvflash working. What's it doing?

OR...

Windows + remote desktop.

14. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

What I'd do is create a little bat like 'romflash.bat'

Code:
    echo. > flashlog.txt
    nvflash -f romfile.bin >> flashlog.txt
    and add

Code:
    call romflash.bat
    to the end of the autoexec.bat

What it should do is run the program and save the screen output to flashlog.txt on your bootable freedos usb.
    If it errors it should show you waht the error is.

For extra usability, I'd put one of the dos shutdown programs on there and put that right at the end of the autoexec after the call.

So then you should see it boot, do something and shutdown. And your text file will show you waht happened.

15. ska'

ska' Member

The PC won't boot with the 3080 in it, card is out now and will flash it back to stock using another system.

16. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

It won't show a display, but how do you know it won't boot?

It might stuck on some "press f1 to continue" error and will boot without a display. Hence the "headless" instructions.

Anyway, good luck

17. Trizae

Trizae Member

18. PureFire

PureFire Member

If I understand this correctly, the reason why Radeon 6000 cards are suffering here is once again due to the restricted 256 bit memory bus and lower bandwidth (512GB/s on the 6900XT vs 936GB/s on the 3090), as mesh shaders split object geometry into meshlets allowing the SMs to process multiple meshlets at once rather than processing a whole object as a single operation.

Bandwidth is king

PiNoY likes this.
  19. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Interesting hypothesis.

Anyone with a Vega 64 or VII around who wants to run the test and see if the theory is plausible?

Oh, wait. There's an update in the article.

[​IMG]

Looks like they *doubled* it.

Best guess... going by what you wrote, and these results, the new driver is more optimised to use the cache.

Which could be contentious since it could be case specific, meaning that it could look like AMD are targeting a benchmark score and it won't see similar gains outside of that benchmark unless it's specifically enabled.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  20. PureFire

PureFire Member

The update makes more sense but still falls in line with bandwidth.

6900XT - 523fps - 512GB/s
    2080ti - 531fps - 616GB/s
    3080 - 602fps - 760GB/s
    3090 - 648fps - 936GB/s