NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Trizae

Trizae Member

2. The Beast

The Beast Member

Trizae likes this.
  3. havabeer

havabeer Member

wouldn't it just be easier to NOT install/update the driver.

4. OJR

OJR Member

They don't really care. They need to look like they're trying to do something about miners but at the end of the day, nVidia want to sell GPUs, they don't care who it goes to.

5. The Beast

The Beast Member

I guess, if you're using windows. I don't mine so I have no idea, but I assume Linux is a much more efficient, and therefore profitable system to run on.

6. groovetek

groovetek Member

Does the current Linux driver already support the 3060? Or only the 3060Ti? Of course I'd normally say that someone could surely hack the current drivers to work with the upcoming 3060, but it is a different core (GA106) vs the 3060Ti/3070 (GA104) so who knows, maybe nVidia are pretty confident of their mining nerf.

Also, fundamentally they just need to try and deter the general masses from buying the 3060 for mining, so if they can achieve that, then it's already a win for gamers.

7. aokman

aokman Member

I cannot believe the stock situation is worse now than it was months ago... :lol:

That said... of course im mining on my 3080 :lol:

8. RnR

RnR Member

All it will do is to fark gamers who does mining on the side. Any mining firm worth its salt will be staying on the current driver version they are on now. Why would they ever upgrade or allow new driver version on their hardware when they deploy new mining boxes?

Clearly this is a marketing move by nvidia.

Trizae and OJR like this.
  9. PureFire

PureFire Member

With gaming GPUs miners can sell inventory pretty easily once they are done with them, but with these mining specific processors I think they need to be priced low enough and be fast enough to win over that market in the event that they arent effective due to lack of vram or gaming GPUs are still much faster.

10. aokman

aokman Member

AMD already tried this and it was a massive failure. Mining is also about recouping investments. No one is buying GPUs that can only mine then become worthless or unviable :lol:

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

As if gamers want a slow gpu like a 3060 anyway

12. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

It may work if the current drivers won't even let the yet to be released 3060 boot, it might be semi effective. I don't think they've said 3070/3080/3090 will be affected at all by the new drivers, so miners will keep buying those cards. Might be just a ploy to trying and make the 3060 launch less of a sold out in 30 seconds, day 1 orders still not fulfilled months later deal.

Edit: Actually probably not they can possibly hack/use the mobile drivers as anandtech pointed out to get full hash rate out a 3060 desktop when it's released
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16493/nvidia-launches-cmp-dedicated-mining-hardware

CMP listing on nvidia's websites, Pretty obvious which model is which gaming equivelent given the TDPs and vram, except for the 50hx that looks like a further cut down 3080.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/cmp/

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Trizae and Gibbon like this.
  14. aokman

aokman Member

15. Sledge

Sledge Member

One of the reviewers said it might be limited through bios not drivers

16. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Nope. PCCG still hasn't fulfilled day 1 orders on some 3080 cards especially close or at MSRP cards like the Galax 3080 SG (25% fulfilled), Gigabyte eagle 3080 (48%).
    https://www.pccasegear.com/rtx30

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I saw this the other day and giggled like a girl

https://whrl.pl/RgdZAq

Purchased 18th Sept 2020.

18. Skramit

Skramit Member

lol what excellent PR spin by nvidia.

samsung can only produce a certain amount of chips. splitting a portion off of those chips to dedicated mining cards still only leaves a portion of chips for gaming cards still so gamers are still limited on supply.

this spin by nvidia changes nothing.

kot0005 and SnooP-WiggleS like this.
  19. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Of course it's just marketing spin from Nvidia, they exist purely to sell things and turn a profit. Why would they care who they go to, especially if they are selling everything they can make and scarcity is driving up prices and normalising $1700+ cards again after they got the pat on the back for lowering the rrp this generation. Now they also look like they are trying to do something for gamers and win on that PR front too.

As amusing as chilled continues to find it, I still think people who had the patience to wait for their sub $1300 pre-orders are winning right now. The current pricing is absurd.

20. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

That's when you hope like hell it's not faulty and you have to RMA it :D

MR CHILLED likes this.