NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Copie

Copie Member

Damn 1500, I paid under 1k for my gigabyte 3070 not even 3 weeks ago

Rod M likes this.
  2. Copie

Copie Member

Actually looking on their website again their prices are still decent for the most part, and actually have stock of some cards.

https://dcomp.com.au/

3. The Beast

The Beast Member

Is that a reference 3070?

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

5. akromatic

akromatic Member

Its not the same IMO, it went truly spastic since Elon thrown a few bil into bitcoin and tweeted about it

indeed, a 70 class card should be no more then $700AUD IMO but prices never became sane after the 10 series mining boom. everyone knows how much gamers are willing to shell out to game

it makes 3090 look like a bargin too though not as much as a 3080. still IMO its too much to pay for a 80 class card. these should be <$1000 AUD

with 3080 prices approaching $2k, may as well step up to 3090 that is in stock. only other cards that you can secure stock would be a GTX1650

welcome to capitalism

What i dont get is if nvdia cares so much about getting the gaming cards in gamers hands instead of dirty miners, they should have nerfed it entirely so it could not mine rather then a 50% reduced hashrate.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

The nerf won't last.

Someone will figure out a way to trick whatever shit is in the way.

A REAL nerf would mean a shit graphics card.

The SMART nerf would have been to make it 4gb but with a wide bus so its not too gimped.

But now it looks like it's just a pretty crappy card. Somehow it's got far more transistors than a 2060 but performs about the same or worse.

Nvidia are in a bit of a tight spot in some ways. Take a look at the steam survey. Does anyone think they WANT to have a 5yo card at the top?

They run the risk of new games running well on any old shit even after crypto inevitably dies - and it becoming a trend.

Which means they have to spend money to support games that aren't making them sales.

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious, but my reading of that article is that yes, it generally isn't NVidia fault, per se, that prices are inflated. At the very least, there is no evidence from that article that they are shaping prices at point of sale.

Unless of course you believe NVidia should simply take a bath on the price they charge AIBs, and internally absorb the increased costs of base componentry just to mask the global semiconductor shortage for consumers? That makes zero fiscal sense, and would net them a relatively insignificant rise in customer loyalty (because gamers are already too entitled), so I wouldn't criticise them for simply riding this out. It's not like their competitor AMD is doing any better, in fact they are arguably doing worse.

The 3080 is an 80 that is priced (in US dollars) at historic 80 prices (excluding Turing which was a cash grab). There is no way it should be <$1000 AUD. $1100-1200 is about right given the exchange rate.

I made this 5 months ago, but it still has some relevance in demonstrating how the 3080 is actually priced very well when you accurately consider inflation.

[​IMG]

8. The Beast

The Beast Member

It depends what you take from the survey. The majority figures are driven by the 50 billion DOTA/LOL players, kind of irrelevant for new lines of GPUs - that's never going to be their target market.

If you sort by percentage of change per month you can get an idea of uptake. You can see clearly that NVidia is crushing AMD here, so I think they would be pretty happy to have 3 SKUs showing healthy uptake, noting it would be much higher if supply wasn't so constrained.

[​IMG]

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

In the short term they're very happy.

But if game developers CONTINUE to target 5 year old cards, and make games run just fine.
    There's little reason for anyone to buy new cards.

The ultimate end game of GPUs is exactly the same as Sound cards.
    Eventually every trick in the book will exceed the capabilities of the human eye.

And that will be the start of the long decline towards a single fucking chip the size of your little finger nail added to motherboards just because you need one.

10. The Beast

The Beast Member

I don't think that dystopian future is going to happen any time soon.

There is plenty of advanced graphic rendering demands that we haven't even started to tap into.

8K per eye foveated rendering ray traced VR will keen the next 4 generations of GPUs working pretty hard :)

11. akromatic

akromatic Member

It doesn't have to be but some sacrifices would have to be made, ie turn it back into a pure GPU card and turn off GPGPU/compute feature and allow them only on the flagship(3090)/titan/quadro. The prices for them would be a deterrent and those who actually use those cards are already paying for them.

if you wish to pay for artificial inflation then be my guest. $699 USD MSRP is still < $1000 AUD with today's exchange rates.

IMO 980 was the last time GPU prices was considered sane. 1080ti was an exception. nvidia is pitting the 3080 as a 2080ti replacement is nothing more then fudging numbers to make it seem like you got a good deal when the card really should just be a 3080ti. the 3090 should just be a titan and it should have titan feature set rather then it being a stupidly expensive gaming card with no real perks over the 3080 other then vram. A factory overclocked 3080 would beat a locked power limit 3090. if and when a 20GB 3080 comes out, it would make the 3090 totally redundant and pointless to exist.

12. akromatic

akromatic Member

LOL, and the only way to pc game is off intel iGPU as its the only "GPU" that you can afford and is available.

Bertross likes this.
  13. Rod M

Rod M Member

14. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

You don't remember sound cards? That's what happened. Eventually they hit 'good enough' (beyond the ability for the human ear to differentiate any improvements) and became a tiny chip no one even cares about. That's the inevitable future of graphics. Probably not for at least another decade, but that's the future.

That's not really possible. It's a powerful chip that does things. If you made a 50 teraflop pentium 1 using 30w some fucker would figure out how to mine on it.

As for 'shit graphics card', the simple reality is that 99% of people are running 1080p. You cut just a little bit off the detail of the textures (ie bit depth) and you can happily fit modern games in 4gb.
    But you can't mine eth.

mixsetup and Bertross like this.
  15. clAssymeerKat

clAssymeerKat Member

Just caught up on the 3060 release...

The $1200 3080 I waited a littler longer for looks really good right now, very happy and no regrets.

FuzwaldQO, The Beast, Trizae and 2 others like this.
  16. akromatic

akromatic Member

miners would mine on anything that makes a ROI. they would mine off RPIs and CPU if they have to.

a 4GB vram card that is crap but cost almost nothing to run and purchase would be mined to death. GTX1650s.... looking at you when they become reasonable priced.

except in reality these powerful chips burn through power which decreases the returns. the buy in for quadro/3090/titan is a deterrent as well. how long does it take to break even and get back the initial investment before the cards become obsolete and the mining difficulty becomes too hard for these cards to turn a profit would be where it is at. it is not easy for people to throw $3k per GPU on a mining farm.

make it painful enough and miners would go elsewhere and not hurt the gaming market

the price does not hurt those who are buying titans etc for deep learning , CAD etc as they are already paying that price

17. The Beast

The Beast Member

Pipe dream.

US MSRP plus state tax is what people actually pay, so on average +7.12%.
    Companies don't adjust MSRP or RRP based on daily currency exchange fluctuations, so it's important to look at how it was priced at the time.
    The exchange rate when NVidia announced MSRP was under 73cents, the 2019 and 2020 average closing rate was USD to AUD was 0.70 and 0.69 respectively.
    Based on a fiscally conservative 70c exchange rate the 699 USD MSRP + sales tax = $1069, so there is no way the Australian RRP was going to be set under $1000, and there is no way you should reasonably have expected it to be.

Not really. The 3080 brings Ti like improvement when compared to last gen, so whether or not it has the moniker is largely irrelevant. Per my chart above if they slapped Ti on it and made it $100 more expensive from the start it would still fit in traditional pricing (adjust for inflation... which is, you know, a real thing).

I agree, the 3090 is a stupid product.

I don't buy it.

Sure, we largely stopped buying the bespoke PCBs that interfaced with our motherboard because it became trivial to have adequate sound on the motherboard itself - but that didn't mean people stopped caring about audio, or that choices reduced.

Now you not only have bespoke PCI sound cards you can still buy, but just think about all the sound related peripheral processing options we now have that are compatible with, or even designed for PC use.

DACs
    Feature rich custom audio devices with USB interfaces (think top end headsets like Steel Series).
    Stream decks, mixing decks, high end USB microphones.
    Headsets.... oh the headsets.
    Software based audio processing (Dolby, DTS, Sonic for windows etc).

Even on console there are bespoke options that enhance audio. Sony has the Pulse 3D headset, and MS have literally just announced their own for Xbox and PC.

rh1n0 likes this.
  18. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

***pats my 3090 I purchased in January for $2100.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  19. heslo

heslo Member

Jesus these prices are insane! I'm so glad I stayed up launch night to get my order in. Got my FTW3 Ultra for $1259 and have been using it since the start of November. Win-win in my books.

I can't see this supply issue getting any better any time soon either. What's the AMD camp like? Have they been able to deliver cards because I hear bugger all about them

FuzwaldQO and Trizae like this.
  20. groovetek

groovetek Member

This is the biggest win of all. My hesitation to pull the trigger resulted me in still waiting for my FTW3 Ultra 3080. Sigh.

Oh well in the meantime, some new runs on my Aorus Xtreme 3080 for others to match/beat.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-10700KF Processor,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z490M GAMING X (3dmark.com)

Time Spy.png

Accidentally did this Port Royal with my CPU set to no turbo and base multiplier haahah... but as suspected no impact on Port Royal.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-10700KF Processor,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z490M GAMING X (3dmark.com)

Port Royal.png