NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Here's a solution, drivers license required, 1 GPU purchase per 6 months. It would be even better if this was shared between the large retailers, so that a single person can only have 1 order at any given time for a GPU, none of this "I'll make 5+ orders, then cancel the rest once the first order arrives". It also fixes the bot issues.

Anyway, the shortage is costing the retailers money. I'm not going to buy a brand new PC and get a second hand 1080ti. I'm also not going to buy a new PC and get all the components bar receiving a GPU for 3+ months, there is no point in that. I'm also not playing in this non-sense pricing and game of trying to secure extremely limited launch stock (which the term "launch stock" is a joke, as it implies there will be heaps of stock to follow, but there isn't).

This will be the end of PC gaming. Its simply unaffordable in the long term, better off with a console, which is extremely sad.

2. Sunder

Sunder Member

If they thought mining was here to stay, it'd be pretty trivial for them to sell mining rigs which are effectively stripped down GPUs on stripped down motherboards. Save on VRAM, save on heatsink design, save on VRMs (Miners go for best hash/watt, not best performance overall). Makes them more attractive than buying gaming cards, and Nvidia can keep most of the savings as extra margin.

All it would take is the set up costs, and setting up a distribution and support channel. Not trivial at all, don't get me wrong, but worth it if they thought they were going to make multiple generations of it. It could be telling that they aren't investing in this. Maybe they think it'll be like BitCoin - eventually the market will move to a point where dedicated ASICs and Chinese farms make it near impossible for small miners using GPUs to get a piece of the action.

3. Lardman

Lardman Member

Which PNY card did you get?

Slug69 likes this.
  4. Slug69

Slug69 Member

The Revel Epic-X RGB.

5. Snoops

Snoops Member

Why would they go to all that effort? Miners are already buying up every card they can get. That is what I am saying.. NV/AMD are milking it meanwhile gamers are angry at miners. The new "gimped" mining cards coming from NV are evidence they found another way to increase revenue.. Sell the chips that fail qualification or are left over from Turing.

Besides that, Nvidia likes its partners... They deal with the bulk of the end user market (or better said, the pain in the arse side of the chain). Those partners would rather sell in bulk at inflated prices than worry about 1 guy who cannot redeem his free game voucher.

6. Sunder

Sunder Member

Increased margins. If they let them be made into graphics cards, the AIB gets the margin on the "unnecessary" RAM heatsink and extra VRMs, then the distribution channel gets the extra "Scalp" profit. They just get the normal margin on the chips.

If they split their yield between miners and graphics cards, they can keep their partners and channel happy with even more restricted supply, while claiming extra margin on - as you claim - failed chips that may work underclocked, and undervoltage, and take a margin on the rest of the kit.

But it would only make sense to go to "All that effort" - and indeed it is a fair bit of effort, if this was an ongoing thing, not the waves of popularity we've seen crypto going through. Maybe the 4th Gen will not generate much interest for miners, and then the 5th gen will as new alt-coins start etc.

All speculation.

7. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Haha imagine that, similar setup as buying Pseudoephedrine. hand over your license.. why do you need this today? is it for you? hmmmm i dont think so no card for you today.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    lucidity likes this.
  8. Snoops

Snoops Member

Except Pseudoephedrine I can buy anywhere for only about 20% over RRP!

sickbunny likes this.
  9. groovetek

groovetek Member

Ha. Interesting solution. But let's face it - this is Australia. We can't even get a standardized COVID venue check-in system working state-wide let alone nation-wide, so good luck with individual businesses like computer retailers getting any kind of integration working.

10. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I know its a fanatical idea, but its not impossible either. However, I don't think anything will change, people will continue to place multiple purchases from different retailers, bots will create legit orders under fake names, and the scalpers/miners/no stock cycle will continue. I cant see supply improving in 2021 at all. I don't even think its covid anymore, I think the chip factories TSMC/Samsung simply do not have enough resources required to make everybody's chips all at once (ie - the machines have been booked/scheduled for production months in advance and there is a huge backlog/wait time due to covid last year), so until they can make more machines to increase production which takes time and money, then I don't see it getting better. Both AMD and Nvidia are very quiet on the subject.

Someone else mentioned perhaps they should only have in-store purchase for them, until supply is restored, I think that's probably the easiest way to stop the bots and make it harder for scalpers.

Then again, it depends what the retailers and distributors want. I know they want to sell product as fast as possible, but then at the same time, if the GPUs are not available and going to scalpers/miners, then its stopping people like me from purchasing an entirely new PC with multiple products. I'd say there's more margin to be made when someone purchases 7/8 items vs a single gpu?

Oh well, might live with the current pc/gtx770 for another year I guess.

11. Snoops

Snoops Member

Margin? Maybe in dollars, but typically pre-built's comes with a huge amount of post sales support plus the cost of assembly etc etc.

Selling 8 GPU's at once would more than likely be more profitable over the lifetime of the product.

12. lucidity

lucidity Member

Is there an explanation for why 3090 Strix Whites are so rare? Why do people call them unicorns? Why don't Asus make more of these extremely high margin items?

13. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Just buy a kingpin instead :)

14. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I imagine they're not as popular as we think.

15. lucidity

lucidity Member

Unfortunately I'm in the market for an all-white build, and I need at least 16GB of VRAM for StyleGAN2, leaving the 3090 or Titans as the only option. Out of these, the Strix white definitely look the nicest...

EDIT: Not worth it. Not doing an all white build in this market.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  16. spit051261

spit051261 Member

I did mean a 3090 kingpin
    I paid 2000US when they came out .

17. havabeer

havabeer Member

Wat, the 3090 had a $500+ stupid tax slapped on it from launch, not the latest round of incresse

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  18. Slug69

Slug69 Member

But the AI capabilities!

19. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

20. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

^^ Cheers James ;)