NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

2. lucidity

lucidity Member

Fractal 860W Platinum. Very nice and efficient.

3. OJR

OJR Member

Since we're all flexing... RoG Thor 1200W. Eh, it's OK, the OLED is getting burn in though. 5800X/RTX 3080.

jpw007 likes this.
  4. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

yeah, those shitty little oled screens suck balls. Remember to turn them off once you're over the initial wank factor.
    My aquacomputer cpu block looks pretty munted now days thanks to the burn in. Not that I looked at it for well over a year to even notice. lol

5. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

mine is staring at me all the time (well if I lift the mousepad that is)

6. The Beast

The Beast Member

Corsair AX1200i - Moar Powaaaaar

Seriously though, "spare" power is never wasted, and the delivery is remarkably consistent.
    The last thing I think about when hunting for an overclock is whether my PSU is letting me down.
    Finally, premium PSUs will carry exceptional warranties, this one is 10 years.
    I have had a Corsair PSU go at 4 years (HX1200i) and it was completely covered and replaced for free, so a few hundred extra for a PSU that will last a decade and though 5 or more builds is money well spent imho.

7. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Ye, a good psu is a must. I have had spare Seasonic Plat 1300W here, which I commissioned for my 5900x/3090 iracing setup. PSU is doing very well I have to say, absolutely stable under any load the system can request.

8. Supersize

Supersize Member

I won a Super flower 1200w from Guru3D back in 2013 if I remember correctly, it was modular with horrible mini din connectors, but it's been in a machine that has run 24/7 to this day, well other than power outages, cleaning or to install larger hard drives.
    True testament to Super flower.
    Just pulled a EVGA 1200w G2 out of a retired system, had that since 2014, that's still under it's 10 year warranty, my OCD seems to kick in and I buy a new PSU with most new system rebuilds..

The only power supply I had die one me was a 1200w Seasonic in a x99 Strix/6900k build, but I think that might of been a motherboard problem as it killed a 6900k CPU twice as well as itself 3 times (common problem with that board, odd power spikes) even with a PSU change when the Seasonic died, the replacement Corsair didn't die on the second motherboards death... :lol:

9. Lardman

Lardman Member

HX1200 out of stock, but picked up a HX1000. Decided to bite the bullet for the first time since a 1080 to do an upgrade, so... here comes a 3090 Suprim and a full EKWB setup...

hoo boy

10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Most of them sleeved (and those that don't are black individual cables which look okay) but the three PCI-E cables are all daisychanned dual 6+2's and they look bad especially if you have a GPU that needs three 8 pins, surely it wouldn't have killed Corsair to give you a pair of single connector 6+2's. The 4+4 is horrendously stiff and has way too much heatshrink so I couldn't fit it in the top left corner grommet simply because it wouldn't bend properly like a nice individually sleeved cable would. The 24 pin is slightly better but still stiff as a board. The last issue is that the molex and sata power cables are all 4 connector, which is overkill for a higher end PSU where the wattage is mostly about the GPU rather than having a dozen hard drives.

Of course, you can fix all of these problems (barring needing three 8 pins) by paying $90 for a corsair premium sleeve cable starter kit. I'd consider just doing a big cablemods order and getting custom sata & molex as well if you need it. It made my build a lot cleaner in the end, but not as clean as I hoped due to that 4+4.

11. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

Dang sounds kind of annoying especially if your ocd gets in the way and makes the setup look ugly.

Even thought its a waste of money, im going to hide most of my psu cables in a "hidden floor" at the bottom of the rig and buy some really long, sleeved individual cables.

Also anyone know if the 3060ti is also nerfed for mining? i watched a few youtube videos about it and most only mention the 3060 not the Ti, but im guessing cause its the same series it probably also got nerfed?

I only ask as i noticed a few of them back in stock locally

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

It was annoying but it's not a showcase build, it was more about clean internal airflow with an all m.2 build, I don't have a window, so it ultimately it was some additional cost plus some slight ugliness rather than making a display build look bad.

My case has a psu shroud and grommets on top, side, lower of the motherboard, it got to about 95% neatness.

RamboKazoo likes this.
  13. OJR

OJR Member

Unfortunately on the Thor you can't turn it off. :(

14. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

ahhh my PLE ETA has said 04/03/21 for the last 3 days...and well thats today so gonna assume thats not happening haha

15. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Superflowers are solid, running a 1000w leadex plat for my 3080 system and its a rock, has standard connectors and was really well priced.

That evga was probably a superflower too, pretty sure they make the G2 for them, or at least used to.

16. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

For what exactly?

17. Pr3dator8

Pr3dator8 Member

Evga 3090 UCX ULTRA.

It’s now changed to the 11th :(

18. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

How long have you had your preorder for?

19. The Beast

The Beast Member

Umm, that's not a thing.

Do you mean XC3 Ultra?

If so I'm guessing you haven't been waiting that long based on this page?

20. OJR

OJR Member

Yeah PLE ETAs are not worth shit. I’ve had 3 orders with them, none delivered, none of them met any of their ETA.