NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Trizae

Trizae Member

2. nope

nope Member

neat will update

Trizae likes this.
  3. metalrain

metalrain Member

So I got this email a while back (went to my spam inbox).

They do have spares, replacements for the red lips on the RTX FTW3 units (3080 Ultra for me specifically), but it seems to be in very limited quantities and only available if you contacted them via support. I emailed them pretty much asap when I got my RTX 3080 last December. Got this email late March.

4. The Beast

The Beast Member

No it wasn’t, those early PLE orders were the best 3080 deals in all of Australia to date. Fact. You got the feels over the comment because you were a consumer who didn’t bite at launch night and then had to buy at inflated prices a month later.

Like everyone who buys something at prices they know are excessive you tried to validate your decision and the price you paid by belittling people who locked in launch day prices and were prepared to wait a few months. The fact you’re STILL going on about 6 months later is only further validation of that obvious insecurity.

Let’s not forget that the only reason you got a card a month later was by prodigiously scouring retail sites every waking moment until you “got lucky”. Your method of acquiring a card was not more or less lucky, not more or less winning than anyone else’s.

I’m with jjj here, the one liners are so tired, if you think you’re proving something by pointing out the handful of people who haven’t got their launch day orders please let me know what it is. You realise when they DO get finally get them they could flip them for about 1k profit right?

sanjay, Trizae, jjjc_93 and 2 others like this.
  5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity (including typical post count boosting).

It's him after all.

The Beast and OJR like this.
  6. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

What was the original "statement", wasn't it something along the lines of the people that held their $1200~ ftw3 ultraboi orders and got them are winners? Seems like a pretty solid statement to me, first, they actually have a 30 series card, second, they got it cheap. How isn't that a win?

7. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

To be honest you did not even have to buy on launch day to get a good price.

I placed an order for FTW3 Ultra on the the 2nd of December and it was the same price as launch ($1200ish). It was only a few weeks later that the prices started to creep up. By December the writing was on the wall that the situation was not going to get better any time soon so people had a chance to jump into a queue if they really wanted.

I'm still a few months away from getting one though so the lower price is paid for in time I guess. if you ordered on launch week you would have received if a few weeks ago.

I ordered that model as it was the worst value of the best value cards and I was hoping it would have a shorter queue which turned out to be true.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. groovetek

groovetek Member

All those who ordered on launch night got their cards I believe got theirs before end of 2020. The fact that I hesitated a week before ordering meant I had to wait until March as a consequence. Which was pretty shocking, to have waited 6 months for delivery.

Though I genuinely hope you get it soon, you're likely going to have to wait longer than another few months. It's really hard to call that a win, not until you receive it anyway!

There are sites offering RTX 3060Ti for $7xx and taking payment still, doesn't mean it's a win though if one has to wait until next year haha...

9. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I hope its not more than a few months. If you look at the "Shortest Queue" thing on PLE they are only up to 19/10 (For ETAs not even deliveries) for my card however 74% of all orders are filled so clearly the bulk of the orders were placed in the first few weeks. Assuming the same fill rate it should to be too much longer. Its things like Nvidia selling direct to miners ect that will screw me over as the fill rate might drop.

10. metalrain

metalrain Member

According to this, some release night orders still haven't been fulfilled. I assume, by this rate, the RTX 4000 series could be released before these orders will be finally be completed.

https://www.ple.com.au/RTX30-Buying-Information

I'll be honest, I did overpay for my EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, but I was so desperate for a new GPU (after missing on other RTX 3080s and RX 6800 XTs) that I just basically went for the most expensive Aussie retailer and lo-and-behold, I managed to snag one and I only had to wait a couple of weeks from ordering to receiving it. I did make an order with PLE on release, but they wouldn't give me an ETA even after nearly 3 months so I just cancelled and tried my luck a few times until something stuck. Now, considering what these GPUs are going for (someone made an offer for $2,600 for mine) and that some release orders are still waiting for delivery, I think I did pretty well, despite the initial premium.

11. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Are Nvidia selling direct to miners, or are miners buying direct from Nvidia? That's something I never really saw an answer to.

The report seemed to suggest that they just made X amount of dollars from sales to miners, who presumably just purchased from the Nvidia website, like anyone else, or at least anyone else that is in a region that can buy from the website, or from board partners/retailers if residing elsewhere.

The report says the same thing about the gaming sector in general, that Nvidia sold X amount to gamers, why aren't we accusing Nvidia of selling directly to gamers too?

From what I can tell, the whole "direct" thing was just tracked on for clickbait and controversy, makes it seems like there are backroom deals going on and brown paper bags being passed under the table, which seems unrealistic, there is so much demand they don't need to do that shit, the things literally fly off the shelf before they even hit it.

Surely there are allocations from every batch of GPUs that need to be supplied to third parties, I think the silicon shortage (increased demand from miners, gamers etc) is more likely going to be your problem, like everyone else.

12. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I can't say its true but its a much higher change of direct to miners vs direct to gamers . I don't think many gamers buy GPUs in the thousands of units but that's not unrealistic of a warehouse level miner.
    https://www.coindesk.com/hut8-nvidia-mining-gpu-purchase - $38mil is a fair chunk, I think Nvidia would go direct for that.

Also how would Nvidia know what value was sold to miners vs gamers if they did not sell direct. Any card that goes to a 3rd party reseller could before for either and I have never had a reseller ask whats it was for so I doubt they have any mandatory reporting. Mining GPUs are the counter to this argument but in most cases they are a pretty new thing for the current gen but then again were do you get these. I can't see any standard resellers with them.

13. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

My point is that it's purely conjecture, the default position is that Nvidia sell as per usual, via their website, to system integrators and shipping silicon to third parties, with little proof to suggest otherwise. But people want to look at miners as the villains so they just take the "direct to miners" on face value.

I think it's an estimate, not a precise number and from what I can tell, the 'direct to miners' was conjured out of thin air when people saw "Nvidia sold X $ amount to miners" as them selling directly to them instead of miners just buying them (or sniping them).

This has probably already been discussed in the "other" thread, apologies for dragging it up again, my issue in this case is less with miners and more with how people choose to interpret media reports :lol:

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

15. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Can someone explain what I am missing here, this has happened a couple of times now too...

So, today I did a motherboard BIOS update and a GeForce driver update (so I'm not 100% which was the culprit), After a reboot and all that I tried to play a game with my normal MSI Afterburner settings only to have it crash out. Checking the GPU-Z logs shows temps way up from where they would normally because voltages were higher than they should be. (my RTX 3070 likes to be undervolted a bit to maintain temps)

Back in and tweaking things back down to get things stable fixed the problem, but the old settings no longer seem to apply and I had to find a new sweet spot. It actually appears like the new driver is boosting higher, at a guess it looks like the Core clocks are about 20MHz or so higher and the memory clocks are about 200MHz higher with this latest driver?

I would have thought that the card BIOS would set it's clocks and the driver would work within that??? am I understanding that wrong?

16. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I am not fully across exactly how the nvidia boost algorithm works but remember early in the launch when there were all those crashing issues and the capgate thing every youtuber and news front picked up? It was fixed by nvidia smoothing out the boost ramping in their drivers, so they definitely can make changes externally to the bios. Nvidia likely have control over frequency response to voltages/temperatures/power targets (disregarding end user overclocking) and board partners are just advertising boost clocks they set in their bios that the card is guaranteed to hit. The boost clock of my 3080 tuf oc was advertised at 1785, but in reality it boosted far higher than that in use without any intervention by me.

17. Supersize

Supersize Member

18. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Frag likes this.
  19. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

20. Supersize

Supersize Member

Damn I wanted 3, I'm sure the $4599 price tag is worth it for 1440p gaming :lol:

macktheknife likes this.