NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. groovetek

groovetek Member

The performance gap between a 3080 and 3090 is very small compared to the gap between 1080 and 1080ti, 980 and 980ti, 780 and 780ti, 680 and 690, etc.

To try and fill that already small gap with a ti model will be interesting. How many existing 3080 owners here going to try their best to get a 3080ti? I will try to that's for sure, though unlikely to be successful.

2. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

If ple list well priced evga 3080ti's I will jump in line and sit on my 3080 until then, It'll be a long wait but fuckit. I wouldn't call this trying my best though, just a wait and see if I can get one and use the 3080 to upgrade the misses pc if the ti ever eventuates. Or just cancel it and jump into the 40 series line when that comes around :lol:

3. Sunder

Sunder Member

Imagine if this was rhe scenario they are playing out:

1. The ti is gimped for mining. It will be cracked, but 1 day, 1 month, 1 year, who knows?
    2. Until it is, TIs don't get the mining premium, and Nvidia delayed launch to build up stock.
    3. Normals still command a premium, but TI doesn't. Gamers sell their 3080, buy a TI and actually get cash back as part of the deal.
    4. Late in the cycle, if it hasn't been cracked yet, Nvidia leak their own crack - unofficially. Rest of the TI stock is sold down in prep for the 40X0 series.
    5. Gamers win, miners win, Nvidia wins.

If so, well played Nvidia, well played.

Now, how do I wake from this dream?

Ck21, Trizae and groovetek like this.
  4. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Falling backwards usually does the trick

5. OJR

OJR Member

How it actually plays out:
    1. nVidia just want as much money as they can, and don't care who buys their cards.
    2. The End.

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Hey! We're talking about Nvidia here.

It doesn't end. It never does. Just keeps going and everyone gets fucked over except Nvidia.

7. OJR

OJR Member

And that's how it's been since the company's inception.

8. Sunder

Sunder Member

Mmm, inception. Is that my clue? If the launch happens anything like I dreamed about, I know I am in an Inception like dream?

Spyder6052, OJR and FuzwaldQO like this.
  9. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i will try and get a 3080 Ti when i can, just to replace the 2080 Ti...

really tempted to sell my 3080 and 2080 Ti now, given the price, and given neither card is being used for anything other then word and excel for the past couple months. lol

if i was a business, and wanting to make money, which is the object of being in business, then i wouldnt care who buys my products, as long as my products were being purchased.

Not sure whats going on, but i can sell my 2080Ti and 3080 now for more then paid for them, tis very tempting, but both are watercooled, and cbf pulling the watercooling apart...

10. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Next minute we see Jensen in the kitchen with his spinning top on the bench, Joseph Gordon levit getting flung around from floor to ceiling in the background.

11. Sunder

Sunder Member

Off topic rant:

Sad thing about that is that a company called "Bluecoat" which was one of the first to do HTTPS interception and decryption, caused an outrage by selling to Iran, knowing it would be used to oppress dissidents.

I work for a competitor that observes both regulatory and voluntary embargoes on such countries. There was a famous Harvard professor of business who said:

"Cash flow to business is like breathing to a human. Without it, you die. But if you think the highest goal of living is to breathe as much as you can, you've missed the meaning of life".

12. groovetek

groovetek Member

What a beautiful hypothetical scenario. One can only dream.

13. havabeer

havabeer Member

[​IMG]

macktheknife likes this.
  14. Sledge

Sledge Member

Got my shipping notification today...
    So hopefully have mine by end of the week if I'm lucky...

15. ShadoX

ShadoX Member

Finally got my 3080 FTW3 Ultra today, just over 6 months since i ordered lol. I know atleast 1 other person that got their order from PLE (same as me) and ordered around the same time so atleast they're trickling through. I guess i'll flip this old 1080ti and use the money to fund a 3080ti ticket in line if the pricing is half decent.

This card is absolutely wicked though, totally stoked. Any suggestions of waterblocks that you can actually get your hands one?

Time to find some good RTX games and try out raytracing!

16. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Do your research with the EK blocks on evga cards, some cards were being bricked at some stage, I'm not sure it it has been fixed.
    https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3212511
    https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...80_ftw3_bricked_after_ek_waterblockbackplate/

17. The Beast

The Beast Member

Honestly that's doesn't appear to be a thing, a literally handful of cases with no clear evidence the blocks did anthing. EK have replied and said they don't believe it to be the blocks at all. I tend to believe them, the blocks are all milled the same, either they are all fucked, or none of them are.

Only thing to note about the EK block for the FTW3 Ultra is that is actually makes the card slight longer vs the stock cooler. You can remove the black flair on the end to reduce the length, but then you lose some RGB.

WuzzA21 likes this.
  18. Slug69

Slug69 Member

This is amazing. Props to PLE for steadfastly going through the list. 6 months! Sheesh.

19. OJR

OJR Member

Props for what? For them taking your money while having no stock? They would have made a pretty penny on the preorder money sitting in their account. They are a business, they give 0 fucks about you.

the_antipop likes this.
  20. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Agreed. They would have made 1 million+ on pre order money. 6 months of that coin sitting in a savings interest account, would equal plenty of $$ for PLE.