1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. toopy28

toopy28 Member

While this is true, you also have to "try" to take into account the rises in crypto. For instance I'm mining eth through a pool (gave nicehash the flick maybe about a month ago) and all the ether I have mined previously and held is now also worth 3x what is was when I mined it.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. M4g3X0r

M4g3X0r Member

This exactly, my ETH holdings have doubled in price (103% exactly) since mining in Jan. For example, the parcel I mined in February was worth $464.82 now its worth $1026.32

Also I just acquired a X34GS (upgraded from the OG X34), 180hz with the 3080 is amazing! Didn't think I would experience much of a difference but even in Windows desktop the responsiveness is noticeable.

3. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Electricty, Tax, and Elon Musk - you can't buy a prebuilt with a 3070 inside for $2k. Realistically, conservatively, a year for the pc. Sure, if just basing on the card alone in this market, 3 months to 5 months is certainly possible.

4. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Except there's literally regular deals on ozb for 3070/10400f or 3070/3600 PC's for $2k. A year for the PC is laughable considering that ETH is likely to grow. Elon Musk also has had exactly nothing to do with most cryptos, the only thing he did was hype up dogecoin. Electricity sure, I'm being flat billed and I forget that others are not but taxes what taxes? How is the govt going to know if you made money on crypto?

5. Slug69

Slug69 Member

If you are going to comment on crypto and especially what Elon Musk is doing you better have up to the minute information. One tweet about a Tesla policy change and he smashed the mighty Bitcoin by over 10% today.

Nobody knows for sure what Eth is going to do. We know it will stop early next year - only stakeholders will be able to mine. I am sure there will be other coins to go back to but the glory days will be over next year.

As soon as you make money on Crypto the government will know unless you do what every rich dickhead seems to be doing and convert it to a foreign currency overseas. Put it into an Australian bank and they will know.

You have some cheek mentioning OZB. Those are effectively Pre-orders - they just don't say so. Read the comments.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  6. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Whoever the fuck mentioned bitcoin? Also if you're saying that the govt knows everything in your bank acc, then I've gotta ask, do you declare every sale you make on OCAU or eBay too?

Also, damn pesky preorders from Dell eBay am I right?
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/621434

If you're gonna comment on ethereum then I suggest you do some research, since ethereum is more than a digital currency. Plenty of govt organisations are starting to use ethereum block chain to sign documents to-UAC has already started signing ATAR certificates to the ethereum blockchain. The move to ETH 2.0 with proof of stake following a deflationary period with eip 1559 would drive up prices if anything.

7. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Sheesh...

Nicehash miners are paid in Bitcoin, even though they are mining ETH. We are in a video card thread talking about ETH, 99% of people mining ETH right now will not be able to do so some time next year. Thanks for explaining what ETH is and its future. Most single card gamers who are getting into mining start with Nicehash so there would have been a significant impact from his tweet to a lot of people.

Not declaring sales on items that at some stage or another has already had tax paid on it becomes a bit of an issue for some people and so most times they don't declare an ebay sale etc. Most commercial Ebay'ers would be paying tax if they are banking here.

Those Dell machines are great but I won't be purchasing one now because of the mining nerf being put in on cards being supplied to pc builders right now.

Edit: also the Dell machines you cannot part out easily compared to an Australian built system by your local shop using components we are familiar with. For instance the $3100 I recently spent got me a AMD 5600x, NZXT Case, pretty fans, a 970 Evo plus 1 TB SSD, Gskill ram, and a 750W power supply Gold rated. The MOBO is a proper PCIE 4.0 one that can do bifurcation on the x16 slot. The case has lots of room for expansion with HDD cage for 3 HDD's if you want to utilise the CPU and SSD to plot Chia onto the HDD's.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

A tentative Sometime next yr is a long way away though. Cryptos instability in general , the potential for future profitability in other coins outweighs it enough to put it off the radar.

9. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Selling crypto is different to selling items. Crypto attracts CGT. Selling my GPU here attracts nothing. Even converting one crypto to another is a CGT event according to my accountant.

BlueRaven likes this.
  10. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

When did I say nicehash? Plenty of ways to cashout without it.

11. Skramit

Skramit Member

Started mining on my 3080 in early Dec just on nicehash. So ~5 months worth. At current prices of BTC I’m at $2100 AUD. So Im averaging about $14 a day over that time. $220 of that is electricity cost. So about $1900 profit roughly. It’s paid for the 3080 at $1200 easily.

devolutionary and th3_hawk like this.
  12. The Beast

The Beast Member

A 3070 hashes about 60mh/s, no way you're going to pay off $2k AUD in 3.5 months unless gas prices go through the roof, or eth does.

The problem with blindly using whattomine is that it fluctuates on gas prices... you no doubt ran the numbers on the 11th or 12th when gas prices where at a crazy 280-299, funnily enough today they are back down to a much more normal (but still high) 170.

At the current average profitability rate you're bringing in about $10-$11 AUD after electricity costs, so that's at least 6 months for ROI on $2k AUD... but....

If you're going to link a deal at least check it. That isn't a $1999 pre-built anymore, it's $2,498.75 AUD. So at least 7.5 months to pay off running 24/7.

Nothing wrong with the strategy, but let's be realistic about timelines here.

Slug69 and groovetek like this.
  13. groovetek

groovetek Member

Pretty much everything The Beast said. Only thing I'll add though is, if you're buying a $2k/$3k pre-built or whatever, obviously the reason you should buy one is if you need a decent gaming PC.

The moment you decide not to game one evening because it means stopping your miner, you've pretty much messed up.

Don't buy it for the purpose of paying it off, as it'll take 6+ months to do so (depending how good a deal you got). If you want to mine for the purpose of making money rather than overall reducing the cost of your bloated priced gaming PC, build a separate rig and do it properly.

14. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Veering massively off topic here, but why the focus on ROI? IMO the best strategy for crypto is holding long term (10+ years)

heslo likes this.
  15. Skramit

Skramit Member

I guess it's better talking about mining, than 3080's and 3070s that dont exist :p

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  16. Slug69

Slug69 Member

I am paying off a mortgage. A bird in the hand is worth more than two on the feather and all that stuff.

17. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

It *was* $2k and that's the assumption I'm running with given that similar deals pop uo about once a month.

18. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

19. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

before or after tax :D

20. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

:lol: Yeah, this doesn't get mentioned enough.