NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Skramit

Skramit Member

No doubt paid handsomely for them though on the second hand market.

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Either way, I'm pretty keen to pick up a hashrate limited 3080(ti) and sell my current mining capable 3080 for the big bucks :leet:

Spyder6052 likes this.
  3. Sunder

Sunder Member

Half done. How much of that 7.76Bn was to AIB, and how much was to OEM? You can't just take those three variables, and isolate out the one that suits you and say it's easy.

In other news, Ether fell 7% last night, after China said no institution is permitted to offer services around it:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/mar...e/news-story/ac72960587fbb416c6200494cdc79bf0

Down 27% in a week.

4. ndt

ndt Member

Man, how longs that gonna take to see any profit?

5. bYrd

bYrd Member

It has to also be said, that we OCAU members fuel this demand and speculation - apart from eBay, FB/GT, little old OCAU would be the go to place to be to pick up a high-end GPU in Australia at the moment. They're certainly not hard to get, according to FS threads where several GPUs come up here every day, members buying a $2-3K card without blinking, it's never been like this.

I'm quite sure a few members have made some decent coin on little old OCAU of late.

6. ndt

ndt Member

yeah, just yesterday someone made $6k in like 20mins selling a 3080, 2080ti and 6900xt. The 3080 and 2080 were even bought by the same person.

7. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

They didn't "make" 6k. Good chance the 2080ti was bought for more originally than it sold for, the 6900xt was only up for $2,100 (Aorus listings start at $2,400 on retailer sites), and the 3080 maybe saw a profit depending on when they bought it.

Maco88 and BlueRaven like this.
  8. ndt

ndt Member

yeah you're right, my comment wasn't' really about if they "made" any money, just highlighting how quickly the cards sold and the the high amount of money changing hands.

BlueRaven likes this.
  9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Fair enough, I got caught up in the wording. Definitely is crazy demand out there and you have to be quick to get anything resembling a decent price.

BlueRaven and ndt like this.
  10. Slug69

Slug69 Member

310 days

Edit: 370 days.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  11. Luke212

Luke212 Member

the correct answer is you dont know, because it depends on what the crypto price does and what price you can sell your cards for when you are finished.

12. Slug69

Slug69 Member

It is definitely less than two years.

Given the 3060’s will play any game at 1080p at better than 90fps and they can mine crypto it’s a very safe bet they are going to be worth at least $400 at the end - even knowing it has spent it’s past two years mining crypto. People are ultrasonic cleaning cards, replacing thermal pads, and fans then selling them. In a lot of instances better condition than new given the poor way some cards are assembled new - especially relating to thermal pads.

13. i_trin

i_trin Member

the cards will probably die quicker than that if being run 24/7 100%. They aren’t designed to do that.

14. Sunder

Sunder Member

Watch all the miners rush in to tell you that mining is easier on the cards than gaming, because they reduce power, and 24x7 is easier on the card than on/off...

Then watch
    Asus refuse warranty on mining cards https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/warranty/us_Graphic Card.pdf
    EVGA refuse warranty on mining cards https://www.evga.com/warranty/graphics-cards/
    Inno3D refuse warranty on mining cards https://hardwaresfera.com/en/notici...-avisando-no-cubriran-garantia-se-usa-minado/
    MSI and Gigabyte restricting warranty on mining cards to just 60/90/180 days: https://www.pcgamer.com/au/cryptocu...graphics-card-warranties-in-some-territories/

But ignore all those manufacturers. They don't know what you're talking about. Ex-mining cards are better than new condition!

Yeah... Okay.

i_trin likes this.
  15. Djuice

Djuice Member

How does one check if the card has been mined with? Does the manufacturer check damaged ratio between the GPU and Memory, if they memory has 100% utilization vs sub 5% on the GPU core for its lifetime, then they can determined that the GPU was used for mining?

16. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Mwuahahahahahaha....

17. i_trin

i_trin Member

There isn’t a way. Unless the drivers dump data to the cloud

18. Sunder

Sunder Member

Apparently they have a list of things to look for. None of them 100% reliable, but enough to guess and deny warranty.

1. Non factory BIOS.
    2. Heat discolouration around GPU and memory
    3. Thermal pads dryer than expected for age around memory (Mining stresses ram more than Gaming does apparently)
    4. Excess play in the fans. (Indicates high power for extended periods).

It's all guessing, but check on reddit and you'll find plenty of people who were denied warranty - all of them outraged non-miners of course.

19. Martyn

Martyn Member

NVidia isn't doing this to give gamers more affordable GPU's.

They're doing this to ensure that when the next generation of GPU's are released, there's not a glut of current gen GPU's released into the second hand market, reducing overall demand for new product as the current gen would have had to been sold at a vast discount (supplly vs. demand).

By separating out mining cards vs. GPU's, the overall second market supply for GPU's will be a lot lower, inflating the market, making the new GPU's at least look competitive.

20. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

EVGA RTX 3060 Scorptec $849 gogogogo

sanjay, Sunder and OJR like this.