NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx, Sep 1, 2020.

1. sanjay

sanjay Member

Anyone seeing any listings for the LHR cards yet? Genuinely wondering if they'll be attainable at reasonable prices. ive got no interest in mining and just want slightly better 4k performance than my 3060ti provides...

2. ndt

ndt Member

3. The Beast

The Beast Member

That's super pre-emptive, Eth is back to >$2800 USD, which is triple what it was when people started mining in 2020, and double January yields.

Only a few will be over-leveraged and need to sell cards - at least until the next crash ;)

Trizae likes this.
  4. Slug69

Slug69 Member

I don’t even look anymore. I just pull out my cash when minimum met.

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

If you bought a handful of cards at $1200 to $1500 at launch, mined for 9 months, keeping one for gaming & selling the rest at a $1000+ profit on top of all the mining profit would be very tempting.

6. 151528

151528 Member

jjjc_93 and macktheknife like this.
  7. m3k

m3k Member

mining just stopped getting as profitable

yea but u gotta pay income tax on it and probably CGT its easier quicker and probably way less effort just to work at ur medium income job and buy your diverse portfolio of shitcoins with cash money and go back to living life without turning your house into a sauna/jacking your power bill and taking cards away from kids and creative professionals

but i mean- thats just my 2cents LOL i dont care if people mine- i just think its not an "amazing" investment as some people let on

i think the ROI is way higher if u just straight put the full GPU $ into a coin portfolio and just wait for elon to do another pump and dump but hey this isn't financial advice

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  8. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

ffs. yaaaay.

cheers for the sig quote btw ;)

151528 likes this.
  9. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Idk if it's actually gonna cause a huge crash: majority of buyers (and miners!!) are predominantly gamers who only ever used something like nicehash to make some of their money back in their spare times. I truly doubt that the shortage will be over until the global semiconductor shortage is solved.

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

[​IMG]

The Beast and DarkWorld like this.
  11. Anko300

Anko300 Member

seems like stores have rtx 3000 cards but they don't want to release it for anywhere near RRP or without buying other stuff they can't sell normally.

12. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I don't care any more. I'll stick with my $950 RX 6800, which was meant to be a stop gap until I could get the 3080 I wanted. I'm not going to support all this bullshit.

i_trin, Sledge and Wozzernux like this.
  13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Because that's what the distributor is doing to them, and in some cases at least the manufacturer to the disty

14. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Right with you, if by "all this bullshit" you mean the blatant profiteering and price hiking by manufacturers and retailers because they couldn't see past the nose on their face in terms of investment in fab facilities and logistics infrastructure to meet what was (with hindsight, admittedly) a pretty clear rising trend in demand.

If "bullshit" refers to single people/couples/groups of friends who figured out a way to actually increase their financial security by taking advantage of this current crypto trend, I cannot agree.
    As I posted in the BTC as an Investment? thread, it's been the best thing for decades in terms of an investment strategy that "real everyday folk" have actually managed to make some coin off.
    As opposed to a $20 dividend check every quarter while the c-suite types pocket multi-million-dollar bonuses for failing to meet business targets but managing to keep big investment partners happy nonetheless.

15. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Well, I don't really care why the prices have doubled in 6 months, and I have no problem with people buying them to mine with and make a bit of cash. No doubt there is a lot of blatant profiteering going on by someone, but I'm not even really narrowing in on that.

The whole situation, whatever the cause, is bullshit. I've really never seen anything like it - 8 months since launch, and they're still not available, and are now double the price they were (if you can find one).

Ultimately, I see it the same way I see bananas when they're stupidly expensive. I just don't buy them -shrug- I'll survive :D

Wozzernux and BlueRaven like this.
  16. Sunder

Sunder Member

Just remember when you get your $20 dividend cheque, someone enjoyed a bottle of coke, or got a house built, or even had a legitimate transaction facilitated.

When you get your $20 of Bitcoin mining, someone paid a cryptolocker ransom, someone bought drugs off the dark web. And someone else will pocket multi-million-dollar rises in their Bitcoin holding, while others will be cleaned out - and some of them might not even know it yet.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I've softened a lot on the stance of "you're facilitating crime". But being realistic, I'm yet to see much use of it besides criminal and speculation. How many cars exactly were bought with Bitcoin in the couple months Tesla were accepting it? I see it more now as a phase we must go through - just like Uber were breaking a hell of a lot of laws to "innovate" and reform the taxi industry. But if you're comfortable making coin out of that, then I guess there are plenty who see no difference between buying cigarette companies and gambling companies, and buying pharmaceutical companies and investment banks. Hell, there are some who think the former are more ethical. To each their own.

BlueRaven likes this.
  17. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

I want to quickly point out that some crypto like Ethereum is actually useful. The same can't be said about most of the big corps.

18. The Beast

The Beast Member

Ah yes, Coke, the beacon of integrity, the pillar of equality, the benchmark of ethical conduct. Surely investing in The Coca-Cola Company™ wouldn't come with any principle pitfalls?

DOH.

Well, surely the builders union wouldn't....

DOH!!!

Well, SURELY just buying milk from Woolies wouldn't....

Well you would say that, DarkWorld. :tongue:

pH@tTm@N likes this.
  19. OJR

OJR Member

Nah bros, pretty sure he meant cocaine.

jpw007 and mAJORD like this.
  20. Sunder

Sunder Member

This is starting to remind me of a photo similar to this:

[​IMG]

Where someone highlighted the Nike caps, the iPhone in hand, the disposable mass marketed drink bottles, etc.

Thought I'd have a look at the ASX20 to see if there was any truth in your statement. Ones I've used indirectly are in green:

ALL Aristocrat Leisure Ltd
    ANZ Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd

APT Afterpay Ltd
    BHP BHP Group Ltd
    CBA Commonwealth Bank of Australia
    CSL CSL Ltd

FMG Fortescue Metals Group Ltd
    GMG Goodman Group
    MQG Macquarie Group Ltd
    NAB National Australia Bank Ltd

NCM Newcrest Mining Ltd
    REA REA Group Ltd
    RIO RIO Tinto Ltd
    TCL Transurban Group
    TLS Telstra Corporation Ltd
    WBC Westpac Banking Corporation
    WES Wesfarmers Ltd
    WOW Woolworths Group Ltd

WPL Woodside Petroleum Ltd
    XRO Xero Ltd

It's a pretty broad description. But I suspect if we just took it one step further (e.g. Colorbond roof on my house was probably made with BHP Steel). I could tag them all.

Can't say I've spent any Eth.