NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx, Sep 1, 2020.

1. groovetek

groovetek Member

Miss the good ol days. When a stoopid high school kid (me lol) wrongly assumed a TNT2 Vanta was better than a TNT2.

Quack3, pencil mods, loudest NVIDIA blower coolers of all time (FX series). Bring back the memories. Now.

PiNoY likes this.
  2. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I was more thinking in terms of the chip itself, not the GPU features. But I'm on that side overall as well, though this is just from my personal preference. I am not impressed by DLSS, I think it looks like shit on anything under 4K resolution and game support is still quite low. I would much rather reduce graphic settings or of course turn RT off. It definitely has its uses, particularly on low end gpu's and the mobile platform, but it absolutely does not make sense to reduce your resolution to increase your quality settings, the decrease in texture quality, draw distance, fine lines and object definition are far more noticeable than just lowering other settings. NVENC is fine if that's something you're after, but it makes no difference to me. Raytracing is still effectively a novelty preview feature, it has low availability, a huge performance hit and really only subtle benefits. Anecdotally I have only actually wanted to play one title that even supports RT (Cyberpunk), but I turned it off after spending ages tweaking and tuning, because performance was so bad and/or DLSS looks so awful at 1440P at any level, far outweighing any improvement from RT. The native resolution high quality, high framerate settings with RT off is just a far better gaming experience.

If you look away from Nvidia marketing and echo chamber tech media, raster performance is still priority one, and what you need for the vast majority of games that people actually play. If Nvidia hadn't jacked their cuda's so far the 3000 series would have been a complete flop, and that's really only beneficial with the FP32 change at higher resolutions or using RT features. It's an unpopular opinion in the 3000 series thread of course :p, but this is the choice I made and I have absolutely no regrets, I'm having a great time on an air cooled top end card. I don't think Nvidia could get away with another release like this before people start to cotton on and they begin losing mind share.

I'm hoping for something decent from Nvidia next gen, but tbh I'm expecting to just see Ampere on TSMC along with some strong marketing instead of any significant architectural performance improvements, again, a Jenson classic move.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  3. nope

nope Member

4. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Just saw a 3080 on FB Marketplace in Sydney for $1800. New.

Maybe the crash has started?

5. Straferight

Straferight Member

Possibly? This just came up on mine.
    upload_2021-5-29_15-43-21.png

6. maxrig

maxrig Member

Yeah I can't think of a feature, performances that RDNA 2 are superior to Ampere.

7. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

The price has been down for over a week! It's possible that domestic miners (especially those newer/risk averse) will start cashing out soon if there is no sign of rebound. It's still profitable to mine, but there are surely plenty who have made a decent bit of money and are looking to sell up at the right time before cards lose their inflat3ed value. Deja vu.

It would be pretty amusing if this happened en-masse and prices crashed right about the time these Ti's hit retailers with their inflated prices :p.

I've had a fair bit of experience with each of them, rdna2 clock and power scaling is great, when frame syncing or frame limited the clocking down and huge drop in power consumption is pretty neat, as is per game clock settings. Once you open up that TDP using power tool there is a nice amount of additional performance available as well - something that isn't really covered much in the tech media. Meanwhile to me, Ampere is like a big fat hotter and thirstier Turing with less OC headroom from base, pretty boring but still effective of course.

8. maxrig

maxrig Member

Doesn't mean anything, end of the day it's FPS. This generation top dog is 3080/3090 depends on the resolution you're gaming.

Pretty much ampere/RDNA2 can't O/c for shit since AMD/Nvidia don't leave much room for O/C.

I did undervolt on my RTX 3080 and it pretty much runs the same as the out of the box settings with far less power consumptions.

Slug69 likes this.
  9. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

The 3090 yes - as appropriate for its price, but not the 3080. I'm talking overall at typical 1440p resolution.

RDNA2 is actually an excellent overclocker. On release, ignorant reviewers attempted to overclock these cards, particularly reference models within the default driver TDP boundaries which was limiting headroom (and yielding no additional performance over stock). Those same reviewers then came to various conclusions favoring AIB models and their better overclock performance, due to their slight bump in TDP (but with the same power delivery). It's not unreasonable to get anywhere from 2500 to 2700Mhz+ on 68/6900 XT's which is a 15-20% overclock, simply by using something like 'more power tool'. Meanwhile 3080-3090's are looking at a power limited 5-10% over stock, but of course there are some bioses available to flash to push that a little bit further if you can keep it cool. RDNA2 also dooesn't scale down with temps as aggressively as Turing/Ampere cards, meaning you don't need to have the fans wound right up or dedicated water loop to scrape that extra performance - you're going to keep the same stable clocks in any reasonable temperature range.

10. maxrig

maxrig Member

HardwareUnboxed recently did a revisit benchmark between the 6800XT VS 3080. The launch reviews had the 6800XT 3% faster than the 3080 but with 12 more games added it's neck and neck at 1440P.

Quote,

Starting with the 1440p data, we see that these GPUs are indeed even at 1440p.

GeForce RTX 3080 vs. Radeon RX 6800 XT | TechSpot

Really? doesn't look too impressive, according to HU.

At 1440p we’re looking at a mere 3% performance improvement for the Nitro+ over the AMD reference card, while we were able to squeeze a further 3% with a manual overclock.

Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT Nitro+ Review | TechSpot

11. maxrig

maxrig Member

It's the same shitty O/C headroom as Nvidia.

Here's the RTX 3080 MSI trio O/C performances from TechpowerUP.

3% faster than FE version and they manage another 2.7% from O?C.

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio Review - Performance Summary | TechPowerUp

12. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Your comparison is in one game title that IIRC is quite memory bandwidth dependent. It's not a case of moar clocks equals moar frames.

source: https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-great-radeon-rx-6800-xt-overclocking-and-mod-guide-community/3/

Performance increase from an RDNA2 card overclocked correctly: https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-great-radeon-rx-6800-xt-overclocking-and-mod-guide-community/5/

And that overclock is quite conservative and in the low end of the range in the scheme of things.

13. maxrig

maxrig Member

So you need to do a hard/soft mod?

14. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

You can still bios mod with RBE for increased PL right?

15. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

You only need to run more power tool with RDNA2, which is effectively just power play tables made easy. It just edits registry for the driver allowing you to increase the TDP and raising the TDC limits - among other things.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/red-bios...en-more-stable-overclocking-navi-unlimited/2/

You don't have to flash your bios or physically modify your card.

16. maxrig

maxrig Member

What's the clock limit AMD set for the RX 6800XT?

17. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Pretty sure it's 2800Mhz

18. Phido

Phido Member

Its not the same throughout the stack however.

The 6800 enjoys a 10-15% performance advantage over the 3070. Although in some cases its 40%. The 6700xt is about 5-10% slower than a 3070.
    The 3080 has quite a gap over the 3070, and there is not a huge gap between a 3090 and 3080.

6800xt vs 3080 is quite close, driver and optimizations are probably the key here.
    6800 and 6700xt are quite good at smashing 3070's and 3060's.

RDNA2 is actually pretty decent. The only segments they didn't win convincingly is 6800xt (its line ball) and 6900xt (obviously doesn't line up with 3090, but doesn't on price either, but in the right game can have its wins). If a 6800xt isn't fast enough, there are 6900xt's.

While ray tracing performance isn't great, its not terrible. My 6800 gets performance one tier down from Nvidia on RT heavy titles. IMO the lack of a DLSS is a bigger omission and bigger issue. But that is apparently getting fixed. While on a 6900xt those missing RT features might be a big issue, mid stack stuff like 6700xt and 6800, RT means jack squat, you probably aren't going to use them anyway.

19. maxrig

maxrig Member

Hardwareunboxed did their O/C around 2600mhz , so even it hit 2800mhz , it's 7% more clock speed but that doesn't translate into 7% more FPS, more like 3%. Nothing amazing TBH.

20. maxrig

maxrig Member

I think the topic currently is 6800XT/3080 >>>

I think Nvidia is releasing the 3070TI to combat the 6800. Nvidia rarely reduce their prices but they'll just introduce a higher tier GPU to compete.

They are but being superior to Ampere is a bit of a stretch.