1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

NVidia GeForce RTX 40 Series | RTX 4090 4080Ti 4080 4070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Azzan, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

I know this is a joke but in all seriousness, if I need a 1.5kw GPU to get my dream of max settings 4k 200hz with RT on then bring it on :) Sucks for the 14 litre ITX crew but this is what the next few years looks like in my view.

2. groovetek

groovetek Member

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

AMD is supposedly much more energy efficient next gen..

4. nope

nope Member

ive gone back to team red help me nvidiots

5. rg144

rg144 Member

the sad truth :thumbup:

Despite all the hype on nVidia’s next gen being stupidly power hungry, anyone think there’s any chance they could actually be a tad more efficient; given the move to 5nm & AMD’s proposed efficiency gains..?

Trizae likes this.
  6. Snoops

Snoops Member

I am guessing it will be like current gen, if you are happy to loose 5-10% performance, power consumption will drop massively. Though also like current gen.. Hitting the top spot on a benchmark from 8 years ago is worth almost doubling the peak consumption for (apparently).

7. Cap One

Cap One Member

Bruh, the drivers are complete AIDS...you'll be back. :p

8. Trizae

Trizae Member

1.2kw silverstone psu here laughing :p

rg144 despite the hype etc they will be 'power efficient' to a degree for the rumoured 5nm they'll just have more in the tank and may not do a 'super' this gen because depending on amd response they'll have more in the tank. If rasterization was their focus 3090 would decimate a RX6 series but with weaker performance. The 3090 power delivery would go to the lower entry/mainstream tier but their next generation tensor/rt cores are power hungry crunching all that math thats what makes any processor hot at the same time RDNA3 if thats what ATi/AMD calls it will be by the same metric but their playing catchup in that regard with capabilities have and intel will be playing catchup from shit they should have done over a decade ago.

All theorising by the by but we'll wait :)

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  9. Snoops

Snoops Member

Wait till you find out that the GPU will limit draw to 600W because its not the new PCIE5 power spec

nope and Trizae like this.
  10. Trizae

Trizae Member

*Trizae has left the chat*

nope and Snoops like this.
  11. nope

nope Member

[​IMG]
    all amd build unstoppable!

Cap One and Trizae like this.
  12. rg144

rg144 Member

I’d like to see GPU manufacturers differentiate a tiny bit more amongst their products next gen (similar to mobo’s but obviously not to the same extent); to provide different feature sets (i.e different output options), rather than just small changes in clocks and looks (which are welcomed).

I can see a shift to more water cooling/more GPU AIO variants too as macktheknife said, which is fine for those who don’t want custom loops and obv better cooling; but up until a few years ago cards had many different output options (until DP became the defacto standard I guess).

Back in the day we had an Asus Riva TNT w/ TV input (watching/capturing TV without needing a separate TV tuner was nice, not to mention those silly 3D glasses ;)),

and even with Pascal/10xx there were plenty of cards with different output options.

Obviously a few years ago DVI was a still an [outgoing] option, whilst HDMI was becoming more common as a PC output.

Last 2 gens however it’s only Gigabyte who’ve pushed something against the norm with the Master series, and Galax with Hall of Fame monitoring displays.. Not a big deal-but USB-C outs were also a nice to have for VR on RTX 20xx series but went missing this gen.

I suspect USB-C will make its way back in the future as DP2.0 piggy backs off it, and possibly world..? (at least the EU) focuses on standardising off USB-C..

Might be asking for a bit much here (no pun intended, don’t think they need another excuse to up costs-

But for the time being and more specifically- if nVidia/AMD reference designs require 2 slot cards, and AIB’s are taking these designs further into 3+ slots, give us some more outputs, or make use of that space with a USB hub pleease.

It’s not like that back bracket with empty space + slotted holes is doing much for cooling ;)

macktheknife and nope like this.
  13. nope

nope Member

i feel you all these fe ones with different coolers on them makes no sense

14. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I wonder what whacky cooler they will put on the founders ed, the 30 series one was kind of a work of art, actually both and/nv had really nice designs this time around.

Leaks when!?

15. PureFire

PureFire Member

Leak was out a year ago :p

nope, Elchupacabraj and Zee like this.
  16. Zee

Zee Member

Electric company: Installs 64 Amp rated meter box for 4 story home.

ME: "OK, I can run two gaming PC's, and maybe a proper wifi network if I skimp on the GPU of the kids gaming PC"

Z...

nope likes this.
  17. ndt

ndt Member

"Does anyone need to use the microwave before I jump on the PC?"

18. rg144

rg144 Member

Might just be a valid question if you running a 4090, latest Kopite rumour mill again 600W. 300W for 4070

upload_2022-5-13_15-0-56.png

And 4080 comes with 16GB VRAM.. :tongue:

nope likes this.
  19. Sledge

Sledge Member

Nah all good.. I'll just pop my food next to your PC.. should only take 5 mins...

ndt and groovetek like this.
  20. groovetek

groovetek Member

Nvidia Geforce RTX4090Ti - 3D Renderer and Air Fryer Combo.