nVidia GTX660 Thread

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Chardiieee, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Hey all

I have a build coming up with the ivy Bridge CPU (3770K) and I was hoping to get NOT a 680, but in fact a GTX660 instead, and get it watercooled as well.

Only problem is that early predictions of the release stated April 12th for the 680, 660, and other lower models. Thing is, Ive only seen the 680 and cant dig up much on the 660. The reason Im so stuck on it is because I would rather pay less for the card and more on watercooling - After experiencing a pair of 8800GT's for 5 years with loud whiny fans, Im quite sick of the noise, as well as the boiling temps. I might have enough budget to get TWO GTX660's and have them both watercooled also, but it would cost a little too much to do with 680's.

So if anyone has any handy info, especially on release dates and pricing, please dont hesitate to post what you know!

2. Shadowdeath

Shadowdeath (Banned or Deleted)

Why does this need another thread? use the GTX6 series thread, thats what its there for.

And what makes you think, waterblocks will even be available for said cards? whos even to say that the 660 will ever see the light of day?

3. OP
    OP
    Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Thing is, they had a rumored release ETA as being the same time as IVB.

I heard IVB CPU's might come out today for a couple of select people/groups, and so therefore perhaps also was the chance of early GTX660's and similar. Its getting really freaking close now... my birthday is also next week, where Ill be looking to buy the second it releases.

Why the hell wouldnt there be a GTX660? 680's are out and have sold out flat, but I am actually not interested in it and have a specific need for the 660.

4. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

What's that?

5. darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

<cut dumb stuff lolllllll>

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

GTX660Ti or just a GTX660? (If it isn't the Ti model then why bother?)

Also if you want 2 GPU's wouldn't two GTX660's create more heat than a single GTX680?

GTX680's already have waterblocks out and are in stores. You will be waiting another month or two for the lower end models.

7. eggysz

eggysz Member

If the 660 (or equivalent) comes out i imagine that you'll would have to wait at least another fortnight for the waterblocks...That's even if they stock them in large quantities here. Usually, the vast majority of range concerning water blocks here in Australia cater to the high end GPU's (7970,7950, 680 and their last gen counterparts).

And if you could potentially afford 2, why not just purchase a 680 (when the come back into stock lol). Two 660's means more heat, meaning the need to have either, a larger rad or louder system. That or you'll deal with more heat. Also note, you'll have to buy two blocks for the two cards; the costs adds up.

As per mentioned above

And judging by the pricing of the AMD cards i would estimate are equivalent to the 660 (i'm guessing the 7870), purchasing two would roughly equate to about a single 680. Factor in an additional waterblock, potentially less efficient loop and presumably power consumption (small factor but still), imo the dual 660 option doesn't look tantalizing yet.

8. Prosthetic

Prosthetic (Banned or Deleted)

Thats assuming that they will develop and sell blocks for those cards, which there is a good chance that they will NOT.

Ill have to stir up eddy and find out i suppose.

9. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.