nVidia Hints at Ampere 7nm at GTC2020

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by friction_point, Feb 18, 2020.

1. friction_point

friction_point Member

Just saw this from WTFTech and thought it would be a good topic of discussion:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-hints-ampere-gpu-7nm-launch-gtc-2020/

What are you guys hoping to see in the RTX3000 series?

Personally I'm banking at least a 30% improvement across the board compared to a 2080Ti. But also their mid/upper tier cards get a solid boost as well. Really hope their top-spec card comes in under the $1500AUD mark but I'm very very doubtful.

2. Azzan

Azzan Member

I don't think it's a good idea to start a new thread based on wtftech(most unreliable and dodgiest hardware site on the net by far)..

SnooP-WiggleS and terroristone like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    friction_point

friction_point Member

4. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

well 20 series launched September 2018, we are well over 1.5 years from launch and all the RTX features are still completely useless and worthless.

Either Nvidia keep pushing the Ray Tracing and significantly boost the RTX performance on the 30 series or they should admit its not gonna happen anytime soon and just give us proper performance boost to justify the extremely high launch price of $2400+ for their 3080ti card (assuming the real price won't be cheaper than the price of 2080Ti)...

335 GT, friction_point and Nethiuz like this.
  5. power

power Member

according to you?

I welcome RTX am already impressed by what it can do and can't wait to see it as the new standard.

This is a sponsored piece, but tbh it's barely different from any of their normal content.

6. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

RTX is a waste of FPS, some of us want to game in 4k and VR. We need more power not gimmicky reflections!

7. OP
    OP
    friction_point

friction_point Member

Agree with Nethiuz + dzajroo

I want to see more raster performance first and an improvement to raytracing features a distant second.

Nethiuz likes this.
  8. Radley

Radley Member

Wcctfech is the worst site on the internet for tech news. It's completely fabricated!

Azzan and Nethiuz like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    friction_point

friction_point Member

Fair point. See my 3rd post :thumbup:

Nethiuz likes this.
  10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I was thinking they'd announce in the middle of the year but next month is fine.

friction_point likes this.
  11. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Yes according to me :) literally only used RTX features to play Quake 2 ray-traced that that's it. I rather utilise my 144Hz panel and GPU at the same time, than GPU to get 40-60 fps with RTX on....

Yes it's impressive that they can do real time ray-tracing, however what is not cool is charging $2400 and saying its expensive because of RTX features, from all my friends with RTX cards, none of them are actually using any of the features.

If they could get 100+ frames with RTX on, that would be a completely different discussion or if the whole scene was ray traced not just reflections and shadows

12. proffesso

proffesso Member

RTX changes so much, not just games.

for us in the engineering side of things, rtx is huge. the 2080ti's etc dont have enough horsepower to do it well enough yet, but 3080 or so with big rtx improvements will be game changing for us

friction_point likes this.
  13. power

power Member

when did pc gamers become such little bitches? Back when Crysis came out we turned on everything and proceeded to kill our framerates to marvel at the new and upcoming tech - we understood we were looking at forward facing tech that would not be fully realised at higher framerates for many years, now it's WAH I can't run everything on Ultra and 144Hz. Therefore it's a waste of time.

It's the bleeding edge, the bleeding edge has to exist for it to go mainstream at some point - how is that so hard to understand?

Also performance in ray traced games is now considerably better as developers are coming to grips with the technology.

Once again my friends at DF will explain it to you.

ShadowBurger, chook, tunksy and 3 others like this.
  14. Azzan

Azzan Member

Another breaking news from WTFTech!!!
    [​IMG]

RnR, Sledge, nope and 3 others like this.
  15. Radley

Radley Member

No dammit I must whinge!

bobsled and friction_point like this.
  16. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

No, from what I remember I had had to put everything down to get at least get 30 frames, fully maxed out was more like a slideshow.

17. nope

nope Member

MUH DICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

18. havabeer

havabeer Member

i was hoping for a 3080ti for the release for cyber punk 2077... but they've just released a special "cyber punk edition" of the 2080ti. so i think these two lining up is not likely. even with cyberpunk being 7 months away

19. OP
    OP
    friction_point

friction_point Member

If we're to assume a roughly 30% increase then we could be seeing anywhere from ~80 to 90FPS
    Good point actually, this might well be a clue about the 3xxx launch date. SWEET looking card though.

20. OP
    OP
    friction_point

friction_point Member

Nailed it.

I remember when I bought a brand new Radeon HD5970 thinking this card was untouchable.....fire up Crysis and watched it slowly melt :lol: But, I knew I was getting a glimpse at the future of computer graphics and I was pretty much ok with it.

bobsled and power like this.