1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

nVidia Hints at Ampere 7nm at GTC2020

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by friction_point, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Radley

Radley Member

haha really? I thought only poor people bought AMD who's only argument to us AMD was cost per fps.

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yeah, I agree on both counts, there's no sane reason to dump big money on turing right now . Was just a roundabout way of saying that article is bs

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

GPU's yes, CPU's no.
    Just buy the best you can afford and maybe not be a fanboy trying to justify why? People are weird. I hope AMD comes up with something great for everyone (pricing) sake. No bias either way.

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

AMD GPU's haven't been very good since the 290x. They haven't even been very good for competition since they used to price aggressively but now they price like Nvidia, without offering Nvidia features.

Hopefully AMD start being more competitive because the Nvidia 2000 series was so overpriced.

dzajroo likes this.
  6. NSanity

NSanity Member

You misspelt 9800 Pro.

Wait, they were ATI gpus. I don't think AMD has ever had good GPU's.

FWIW, I think BigNavi will be competitive from a hardware perspective, but they still can't write drivers to save their lives.

bart5986 likes this.
  7. Radley

Radley Member

The last AMD CPU I had was an Athlon 900, and the last GPU I had was an ATI 3870x2. Can't say much for the CPU, but the GPU was an absolute piece of shit. I think I had it for 3 months and sold it due to poor drivers, and it looks like things haven't changed!
    I totally agree, but the 2080's weren't too bada at around $1350 which has been standard for a few generations. The Ti's were ridiculously overpriced though. Unfortunately our dollar has tanked and demand is through the roof, so I can't see the new releases being cheaper.
    Intel GPU's???

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  8. RnR

RnR Member

The article adamsleath posted above tells us a different story.

First time in 5 years :thumbup:

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

5870 was AMD branded

290x may not have exactly kicked NVIDIA in the nuts , but it was competitive and pushed Nv hard.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its a small win for AMD, but I wouldn't call it competition, especially as Nvidia were clearly dragging their feet and pricing high due to how much competition was lacking. The 2000 series was essentially nvidia deciding they didn't even need to compete and released a GPU in a different category to AMD, and priced accordingly.

the 1080/1080ti owners are the real winners, a card from May 27, 2016, that is still competitive with an AMD card released July 7 2019. And I only paid a little more then a 5700 XT for my 1080, probably the same price on the 5700 XT's release.

Not sure why anyone would wait 3 years just to pay the same price and have the same performance of 3 years ago, and without all of Nvidia's features, thats not competitive to me.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

More so 1080ti owners in 2017 - it hit at a good USD price , and the dollar was decent so many of us were able to snag them for just under $1000 AUD . felt like decent value at the time (triple digits feels so much better) , little did we know the price of gpus was going to universally skyrocket with mining followed by our terrible $ followed by Covid shortages and price gouging - it's madness out there at the moment, though things are turning around slowly.

Realisticly the 5700XT should have been a $550AUD card from the outset if the dollar was still at those levels. which with performance not far off a 1080ti, would have taken some of the value shine off of it.

But yeah, 1080ti owners from 2017 - still winners , probably won't change until this next gen battle kicks off

Nethiuz likes this.
  12. NSanity

NSanity Member

There is gonna be a golden age when Zen 3 punches on w/ Rocket Lake, whilst BigNavi and Ampere are at each others throats.

raincloudx likes this.
  13. havabeer

havabeer Member

Doesnt take a genius to see the 3000 series cards will be focused heavily on ray tracing. Which is why the claim of a 3060 being = a 2080ti is fitting.

Ray tracing isnt going to be a fad like 3d monitors

14. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Nvidias "engineers" have sought inspiration from the past, but are eager to alert marketing of their latest product.

Ladies and gentlemen nvidias new 3800 ampere dust buster range with integrated $450 heatsink and Boeing style exhaust system is nearly ready for purchase.

15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I got mine for $850 lol. I can re-sell it today for a profit hahaha.

16. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Insightful comment as always.

Given that nvidia has been able to make relatively quiet cards for the last 4 generations - i'm sure Ampere will be just fine. Cooling has advanced over the past 2 decades strangely enough.

c4dderly likes this.
  17. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I'M A HUGE NVIDIA FANBOY, I LOVE BEING OVERCHARGED AND STAGNATION.

macktheknife likes this.
  18. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

well 3000 series are around the corner, I'm so happy that I could enjoy all those RTX features in past 24 months, played so many RTX games that I can't even remember one of them....oh wait Quake 2 demo - 30 minutes, 1000$ well spent (RTX Tax, 1080ti vs 2080Ti buy price).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Nethiuz and mAJORD like this.
  19. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

You'd remember, because you would have gouged your eyes out at the 20fps. :p

dzajroo likes this.
  20. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

at least use the funny video if you are revisiting the 5800

Kookooburra and walker_2003 like this.