1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

nVidia Hints at Ampere 7nm at GTC2020

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by friction_point, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Frag

Frag Member

Yeah, we'd hope. My next build will be my first new ground up since I build my dream 3930k system... New build will need to have a monitor in it as well so need to get that mon/gpu balance right... Lets HOPE, I know nvidia plays right out of the basic economics 101 playbook being in monopolistic power.. My worst case scenario is forget the PC, buy a new 70+" OLED and a PS5 or xbox and be done with pc gaming. I understand that KB/Mouse are natively supported now so ARPG's, RTS etc games will be playable :p

2. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

RTX 20 series sold bugger all, Nvidia aren't as free to charge whatever they want, which we might think at times.

Next launch will be interesting given the new consoles coming out at a similar time which should offer very strong performance per dollar.

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Nvidia made bank on the 9xx and 10xx series. RTX was about introducing RTX & holding it's advantage over whatever AMD could bring out.

4. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah... the xbox is coming out with a 52CU gpu, so faster than a 5700XT.

5. NSanity

NSanity Member

TFW when release a card almost 3 years later and you still don't win.

6. RnR

RnR Member

I would assume there was a real risk that AMD would lose the console market to nvidia. And that made them scrap GCN for gaming, and RDNA was born.

At least they seem to be executing nicely with the new arch.

mAJORD likes this.
  7. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I doubt nvidia was ever even a consideration for next gen consoles, sure ampere would be a good console gpu but they don't have an x86 license and they're good at being a shit company to deal with business partnership wise. More a case of Sony etc going to AMD, you've looked after us so far so here's money to RND nice custom chips for us.

8. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

I bought my first 1080ti for $900 2nd hand, sold it 8 months later for $950, didn’t game for 3 months due to work then when work quietened down I bought another one 3 months after that far $650 (This was just before the 2080ti launch and I got lucky with a panic seller) Now here we are 2 years later and I could probably sell it for profit again. Now that is what I call a good value card. I’m happy to pay $2k AUD for a 3080ti if it’s 50% quicker than a 2080ti as I can see ‘value’ in that. Mind you 3+ years ago if you had of asked me “would you pay $2,000 for a top of the line card?” I’d say “not a chance” but we’re now conditioned into a new normal with Nvidia pricing.

Fingers crossed AMD provide some competition

Nethiuz and sTeeLzor like this.
  9. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I hope that's $1000 USD :Pirate:
    But to be honest, just throw away $20 a week and you will be up to $1,240 come late September which is probably the earliest you could order a 3000 series.
    I can't see a decent card being under $1,500 AUD and i always found i'd regret not buying the best, sell it later then waste more money getting the best. Just do it. ;)

10. Frag

Frag Member

In the end the only way I will be putting more money on a GPU is if the rest of the system is cheaper. I don't really want to spend more than $5k and when I priced up using current prices the barebones PC was close to 3k already (32gb, 3700x, 570 mobo, 1tb nvme, 850w, case etc)..

I'll just wait until zen 3 launches and see, still betting on the darkhorse that AMD can pull out a victory as I can't stand nvidia.

11. RnR

RnR Member

Intel has been in consoles before. I'm sure nvidia could work with Intel if the chance came along. But good point.

It would be interesting if the ARM revolution keeps going. Maybe at least one of the next-gen consoles (in 2025/26) will be ARM based, and would enable nVidia to at least have a package to offer.

SnooP-WiggleS and Nethiuz like this.
  12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

AMD built their entire Semicustom division around the current gen console win, and expanded it from there. Pretty much everything They do now from the CCX to IF is to enable them to tailor make solutions like these , and allow that strength to differentiate themselves from the likes of NVIDIA and Intel. That's why neither of the two even had a foot in. If others want to offer up an alternative next time you can be sure AMD won't go down without a huge fight there.

As for ARM, yes that's a possibility. There is now rumblings again on when or if K12 will come back into the scene at some point with ARMs server presence finally making some headway , albiet tiny , with a lot of roadblocks still

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  13. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Apple is moving all computers to ARM from Intel now.

Nvidia's latest graphics card suggests no mainstream Ampere in 2020
    https://micky.com.au/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-leaked-specs-surprises-gaming-community/?amp

Nvidia graphics cards are getting price cuts ahead of expected RTX 3080 launch
    https://www.techradar.com/deals/nvidia-graphics-cards-are-getting-price-cuts-ahead-of-expected-rtx-3080-launch

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  14. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Beetroot likes this.
  16. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

hmm...will be interesting to see what will actually happen with 3090 card. Looks like nvidia is keeping the Ti with 3000 series...

17. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Its no suprise that they are keeping the "ti" for product segregation, I expect all sorts of KO's and Supers and Ti's if AMD compete against their products from top to bottom, which seems likely.

The only rumour I really care about now is release date, we already know these gpus probably won't suck and will be awesome unless you heavily favour dollar per frame as a measure of how good a card is.

18. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I think I'll be aiming for around the 3070 Ti. Sounds good to me.

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Price seems off by a factor of 100%

20. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Jensen can decide prices the day before it's officially launched based on market conditions then (how navi 2x is looking/price performance, how bad economy is etc) , It's not going to be whatever wccftech claims now. To compare 2070 founders edition launched at US$599, 1070 FE at US$459.

Nethiuz likes this.