1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

nVidia Hints at Ampere 7nm at GTC2020

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by friction_point, Feb 18, 2020.

1. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I'd say unlikely, old leak is way more credible. Been a long time since nvidia have used a flagship 100 die in the ti model. 2080 ti = TU102, 1080ti = GP102. GP100 never got a consumer release and GV100 (volta) only was sold in the $4.5k titan V. There is no TU100 btw. Not saying they wouldn't release a Titan ampere to consumers but I'd expect $4k+ for it (with 32gb hbm2 or so). I doubt Nvidia would design the die with both HBM2 and gddr6 memory controllers on it, and there's no way they would do a flagship die for the servers (Volta GV100 is getting on now...) without HBM2/e on it.

2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Do you think they will be priced where 2000 series is now? aud650-700 for a 3060 ? Or higher? aud900+ for a 3070 ... (using pccg as a rough guide)

:Pirate:

3. nope

nope Member

damn they sandbagging hard with those low boost clocks.
    ill tap out and wait til these get old

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

The specs are not out of the A100 aren't ouf of the question, but the cuda count and clockspeeds scream compute card.

As above,lower clockspeeds higher CU counts on compute cards

5. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Possibly, pricing will be the last thing that's decided literally can be decided on the day before release, and current pricing is historically very high with covid and exchange rate, shop around a 2070 is $750 and was cheaper than that last year. That said Nvidia normally launch with founders editions with a $100 or so early adopter tax so yeah could be that for initial prices until AIB models come.

https://www.onlinecomputer.com.au/118730

6. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

That "3080ti" specs feel a lot more like a Titan model (note, who at Nvidia decided to call graphics cards Titans and also have a Ti version :confused::D) It's such a huge jump it almost feels to me like why would Nvidia bring such a gigantic smashing card out with such a huge lead over AMD?

I did lol in that article over "boots clock".

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I think.. well I hope, the upcoming Console releases will mean a big RESET on PC GPU pricing with these new cards (from both camps)

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  8. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Some more leaks from Moores Law Is Dead. Quick summary (as always grain of salt until confirmed):

10-20% better IPC, 1900mhz+ core clocks standard
    4x ray tracing performance, thinks 3060 will do ray tracing as well as 2080 ti. no GTX parts all RTX down the stack.
    DLSS 3.0 that should work in any game that supports TAA. 2x tensor cores per SM.
    No big vram increase as per previous leaks, 10gb 3080 and 12gb 3080 ti expected. Instead more texture compression (this time lossless??? tensor accelerated texture compression).
    Nvidia control panel to finally go and replaced with a unified geforce experience/panel with no login required.
    May launch for HPC, September for Gamers

the_antipop, Nethiuz and tunksy like this.
  9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

10. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

That dude has an incredibly square head.

I imagine Nvidia always expected the 20xx series to be pretty weak. A massive amount of people upgraded to 10xx series and it was a really good set of cards, and since 20xx was more about pushing RTX than normal performance, it wasn't an upgrade driver.

Ampere, along with Cyberpunk 2077 which is the biggest PC game since GTA 5 imo, are going to get lots of people from the 10xx series and below (9xx series etc).

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  11. havabeer

havabeer Member

This. Maybe they're hoping the RTX uptake was a bit more, now that it's slowly gaining traction they can focus solely on it rather then a card that does a mix of both so "performance numbers" will look huge in RTX games compared to the 2000 series.

12. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I suspect there are a lot of people who only upgrade every other generation, when there's a true architecture change rather than simply an incremental development of the same architecture.

heller44 likes this.
  13. power

power Member

I personally skipped 2080 series due to cost vs performance uplift vs my 1080Ti.

pH@tTm@N, Fortigurn and millen like this.
  14. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Same. In fact I went from a GTX 750 Ti to a GTX 1070, and I'm happy waiting to see what RTX 3000 brings.

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I wish I did but I have problems :tongue:

16. conroe

conroe Member

"We're in throwing distance of the new Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3000 series cards. "

"This means a GeForce RTX 3060 will offer the same ray tracing performance as the flagship GeForce RTX 2080 Ti -- if not better...."

"The rumors do clarify that Turing will not age well when Ampere is here,"

We may get a little surprise.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  17. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Even though the gaming cards aren't being announced this week I'm still excited

18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Oh hurry the @#$*&^ up!
    Want to pre-order, i hope they come day 1 with some decent cooling as the founder editions usually suck, or lack of sucking and blowing.

19. power

power Member

i wish this thing would launch FOR Cyberpunk. That's honestly all i care about.

chook likes this.
  20. nope

nope Member

funny you should say that ...

Nethiuz, mAJORD and stiben like this.