NVidia out of the mid and high end market?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by NSanity, Oct 7, 2009.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10...x275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/

Is there any truth in this?

NVidia responds

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/10/07/nvidia_abandons_market6363636363

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Does Charlie Demerjian not work for the inquirer anymore?

3. anthony256

anthony256 Member

I'd put a bit of truth into this, NVIDIA really have nothing right now.

A bunch of 'pictures' and non-gaming cards/numbers/anything at all, doesn't give much confidence.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think it would be a shame as they are major player in the market.

No engineering failures with the 280? heh

Could ATi once more be in the high end market spotlight again!???

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I'm liking the sound of this..

6. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Wahhhhhhhhh I don't wanna buy ATI. Their control panel is a pile of crap.

7. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

Thats what I'm thinking... is this another Radeon 9700 moment? Or like the GTX280 when it showed up?

Or is this really a case where NVidia have nothing now, nothing in the pipe and the 58xx cards from ATI are just far and away ahead?

Personally I think it would be a shame to see Nvidia go. I still loathe the ATI driver interfaces - and despite not using an ATI Card personally since the 9800 Pro, it really does remind me of the crap you used to have to go through to use them. (Yes I'm aware that things might have REALLY changed since those days, but NVidia has always had stable reliable drivers for me, through all my NVidia cards - Riva TNT2, GeForce 2 GTS, Geforce 3, Geforce 4600ti, Geforce MX440, GeForce 7800 GS, GeForce GTX280).

8. anthony256

anthony256 Member

ATI have been in the spotlight for 12 months. The 5 series is just an extension.

The 4 series shook NVIDIA's boat and they are trying to jump back in, but are slipping at every chance.

9. ltd73

ltd73 Member

yes.

NV have had a series of mis-executions over the last 18 months. their focus on "GPCPU" is gonna bite because ATI have exceeded their own expectations with execution inside of AMD. they are actually ahead of schedule.

as a single part, Fermi will be competitive performance wise vs. AMD at the high end, but not on a cost comparison standpoint - Fermi is a massive chunk of silicon and it'll have either a massive price to match (not competitive with AMD) - OR - NV will take poor margins on it to be competitive.

one can only play the 'poor margins' game so long - and only when you have products in other market segments to prop that up. they don't, and won't, for lat least 6 months probably 9+ months.

the thing about all of this is that it could have been avoided. but put simply, its poor execution that has got them into this mess.

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

the g200 was always overpriced (note the amount of nvidia only partners going amd when the gtx280 came out), pretty sure thats the one thing they werent gonna fuck up with the gt300, but as these go eol, by the time stocks run dry, shouldnt we have gt300 anyway?

it really doesnt meacn tha tmuch to the end consumer. these parts are still on the selves, and there should be enough to last until new parts come out... hopefully.

11. Osiris

Osiris Member

We need the competition between ATI/NVidia for decent prices and progress.

But Nvidia has over engineered solutions, so their gamble with selling GPGPU + CUDA into high performance markets better pay off for them.

12. OpenSystem

OpenSystem (Banned or Deleted)

They shouldn't have made the 8800GTX so well!

There is still no gaming reason to upgrade.

If this article comes to fruition, ATI have no competitor and no reason to keep prices low.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hasn't the king of cards in terms of performance, been nvidia for a while now?

14. anthony256

anthony256 Member

With the 295, yes.
    But ATI have the 5 series now, 1 gpu which can keep up with NV's #1 card is a good effort, all while using less power and it's cheaper too.

15. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

ATi had it for about 6 months with the 4870X2, but the GTX295 came out after and brought it back to nvidia.

To be honest though, who has the fastest card on the market really plays no major roll in the success or failure of a company... it's who can sell the most cards :)

16. anthony256

anthony256 Member

The man is right.

The top end cards just impress a small few, it's the mid range (9800GT/GTX260/275) and ATI 4850/4870/4890 that sell the most...

17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

so doubleing or tripling your fps/fsaa/af performance isnt a good enough reason? :p

uh no, to the company its profit, while nv have recently been with teh better card, theyve also been mucking pretty much no money on them, as teh ender user we dont care how little theyre making on teh product weve just bought :)

18. OpenSystem

OpenSystem (Banned or Deleted)

Not if the frames produced are sill playable ;-)

19. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

I stand corrected.. I did think about that and was going to edit it before I posted, but I just couldn't be bothered retyping :p

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The heady days of the 9700 which completely obliterated the opposition is what I mean, where they dominated for a reasonable good length of time.