NVIDIA Pascal GTX 1050, 1060, 1070, 1080, TITAN X (P) | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Apr 29, 2016.

?

What Pascal GPU(s) Do You Own?

1. NVIDIA TITAN X

3.3%
  2. GeForce GTX 1080

26.9%
  3. GeForce GTX 1070

25.3%
  4. GeForce GTX 1060

10.9%
  5. None I Just Like Voting...

37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. maxrig

maxrig Member

Nvidia fine-wine. lol

Serious note, it's called competition. AMD was the one who compared their Vega FE card to the TitanX and Nvidia responded aka crawl back to your hole AMD. Nvidia is just toying with AMD at the moment.

2. Frag

Frag Member

At the expense of their customers who paid good $$. I dare say this wouldn't be far from a class action suit. I can't stand nvidia, but at the moment there is really no choice for high end!?! :)

3. maxrig

maxrig Member

It's driver updates. Going by your logic, every driver updates from AMD/Nvidia will potentially get sued?

4. maxrig

maxrig Member

edit. double post

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The buyers expected a known level of performance. They got it. Good luck with your class action suit.

If they had been deceived, eg. European diesel cars, then sure, but they didn't. They got exactly what they expected.

Software updates happen. 'They always knew, they just broke it out because of Vega' .. got anything proving that? Seems to me that Vega is already a lost cause, not sure why they would bother rolling out the 'hidden performance', it would make Volta Titan look like less of an improvement. Unless Volta Titan is just so fucking good they can afford to throw us a Pascal bone :D

I've installed the latest driver, the one spoken of. I don't have a Titan, its suitable for my 1080 but makes no difference to benchmarks. Might help with gaming I guess, I wouldn't know, but it looks like it only helps Titan (unless someone with a Ti has checked the driver out?) at this point.

6. Bertross

Bertross Member

1080ti in da house!

7. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Thought you were team red bertie. I call dibs on your card when you decide to switch to vega hahaha

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

Haha the only team red I had was a rx480 for a few days prior to a 7950.

Still rooting for team red though on a cpu side. Vega might be a bit late unfortunately. Man this thing is quick in titles like tomb raider and the Witcher 3.

It’s also very heavy! I got a shock!!!

9. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Well played mate, it's a big step up from the 1070 hey :D

10. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

Well I'm finally going to bite the bullet and purchase a 1080 TI. I've never bought a card in this price range and the only reason I'm grabbing one is purely for VR ( Oculus )

With the current prices in Australia.... mind blown..... I'm looking at Amazon.

I'm tossing up a few cards but unsure of warranty or returns with buying from Amazon in Australia.

1. I really like the look of the Gigabyte AUROS GTX 1080 Ti Extreme but unsure of warranty. Would Warranty be through Amazon? I'm under the impression if I bought this that Gigabyte won't honour it due to being purchased overseas. Is this correct?

2. Either the EVGA GTX Ti SC2 or maybe EVGA GTX FTW3 Gaming. I've heard EVGA honour international warranty.

Out of all these cards only the Aorus and the EVGA SC2 comes with f all import fees.

Any suggestions on any of these regarding warranty and or performance?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  11. Frag

Frag Member

My logic is fine, I said it wouldn't be far off. And no, holding performance back intentionally is far removed from trying to get more for your customers with iterations. Look, I get it - nvidia is the leader and has been for a long time now, they toy with the little competitor they have and don't seem to care about the customers the affect.

Exactly, as I said not far off - ethically its quite piss poor. Just disgusting behaviour from nvidia as always. It underpins why I hate the company so much.

12. maxrig

maxrig Member

How's this behaviour any difference from AMD in the past where you can unlock an HD 6950 >> HD 6970? Hypocrite much?

13. danyell

danyell Member

How is that the same? One is about creating products to fit a market segment where you're UNABLE or it is uneconomical to produce different silicon for a segment so you take the hit selling more transistors / bigger silicon when some is disabled

The driver situation is NVIDIA being able to give their customers better performance on their top end silicon than they are getting, improving their (customers) bottom line perhaps by getting projects finished sooner, but NVIDIA held it back just to play the game with AMD. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth if I was using the high end of compute card to PRODUCE something

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Duff Man, have you considered buying off eBay locally? If your not in a hurry wait until the next 20% coupon then see how the prices weigh up. Some prices are pretty decent with the discount applied and less issue with warranty (buy close to you if possible).

:)

15. Bertross

Bertross Member

Haha yeah! I’m yet to see how quick it renders in 3dsmax.

16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Run some benchmarks for us Bertie? Firestrike and time spy if possible.

:)

17. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I think I'd be annoyed if I was looking at the prosumer side, took into the account the performance of the Titan in that context, went nup, and shelled out for a Quadro only for them to flick a switch and enable the performance I wanted in the product I was originally looking at.

Nvidia push fast products of the gate. Artificially hamstringing them then not when it suits you will annoy your client base. It should have been this way from the get go.

18. aokman

aokman Member

LOL people need to remember that without NVIDIA, we would all be stuck with console graphics on PCs. AMD has no interest in advancing graphics technology beyond marginally keeping up with NVIDIA.

People need to chill out, we are talking about gains in workstation apps only like Maya not gaming. Every...single...company roughts the corporate space in this regard.

NVIDIA advertised their performance when you bought the card and delivered on it. A year before AMD... and now they are giving you something extra and you complain?

My Titan XP is almost a year old now, im looking forward to upgrading not worrying about how they aparently screwed me over on a card that has always delivered lol.

19. power

power Member

workstation cards like quadro have drivers that are in a slower stream, whereas consumer cards and gaming cards get quicker driver updates that aren't mission critical.

to me that's the take home for nvidia doing the do on Titan performance boosts.

You're right though 200% AMD have stalled on improving tech happy to suckle the console teet.

20. maxrig

maxrig Member

How's that not the same? AMD clearly locked the HD 6950. The people buying the HD 6970 are paying more for the same performance as the buyer of HD 6950.