nVidia Shield

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by the_antipop, Jun 5, 2018.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Hey all,

I have lately started to look into the nVidia shield. Primarily because my Hisense TV's apps are no longer functioning properly, so I have had to switch over to my PS4 Pro. However, the PS4 Pro has limitations, for one HDR support on Netflix isn't working properly, and Plex has not been updated to support 4K or HDR.

This now leads me to the nVidia shield. From all accounts, it is the best streaming machine on the market. It smashes Netflix and Plex with 4K and HDR content, has all the catch up Apps, and it can also stream games directly from my PC (at my native 1440p, or even 4k - not 1080p like the Steam link).

The only major downside is the price. I am looking at one that is $250 for the new 2017 model that includes the remote, controller and stand.

What are people's opinions of them? Are they worthwhile? Are they worth the price?

Cheers.

2. RiMeS

RiMeS Member

Is that new or second hand?

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For me it's not worth the price. I get everything I need from the Mi Box.

4. OP
    OP
    the_antipop

the_antipop Member

How does that handle 4K, HDR content on Netflix and Plex?

5. pcgamer01

pcgamer01 Member

ive also looked at nvidia shield.. seems to be the only device that can handle the transcoding in good quality content.

every other option is weak and would cause buffering and other issues..

Both consoles have the cancer on them (Cinevia) so watching movies on plex (or even on USB) is a no go.

So Nvidia shield is really the only choice as the chromecast is severely restricted on 4K content (Transcoding ect)

The only other device ive heard nice things about is this new apple 4k device but cause its apple its probably limited severely.

Google search shows the best nvidia shield unit for around 280$ delivered (AUD)

im thinking ill just do it.. atleast ill be covered for all media content for a good 5 yrs

and who knows maybe ill use that game streaming they love mentioning alot

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Excellent, I love it. Here's an example of Netflix content. All other content H.264/H.265, large 2160P all play very well without issue. Not once had a problem with anything I've asked it to do. Plex also works flawlessly although I tend not to use it much due to having mostly very large files and using over wi-fi which does present a need for buffering.

Madllama likes this.
  7. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Almighty thread resurrection. Did you end up getting on OP?

I just ordered one from Scorptec. $312 pickup with the remote and controller (with the OCAU discount). I've had a PC based HTPC since forever, was using Windows so I could steam and Kodi but I just never used the steam side and the drivers, updates on Windows is annoying. Moved to Librelec which has been fantastic but with Kodi addons being a little flakey at times I thought I'd try the Shield for easier doing things like 9now for live TV (Netball) and still being able to steam stream when I wanted to play the odd game.

Curious how you found it and what additional use cases you've found for the unit over something like Mi box or an x86 solution?

8. kbekus

kbekus Member

I'm pretty happy with mine, I've had it 4 months. Using it for Kodi, Kayo and YouTube, plus a bit of PC game streaming. It works well. Handles H.264 and H.265 well.

9. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

I rate them so highly I have about 5 or 6 shields now with a plan to buy a few more. You can pick them up under $200 on sale

10. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I moved from a HTPC to a Shield, haven’t had an issue so far, Plex is great, runs Netflix and Hulu, plays my flacs and dad files, so yeah, highly recommended.

Also has the bonus of being able to stream games from my pc.

11. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Yeah all great to hear. Set mine up last night, really impressed. Couple of Aussie TV apps for live streaming or watching recorded games easily is really nice. Kodi is great, super fast and snappy which I love. GameStream etc seems.... okay, bit convoluted etc. Nice to be able to use every once in a while I guess.

Anyone got any emulators and roms working on one? Would love to be able to play some NES/SNES/Gamecube or maybe even Wii games??

** Some quick googling implies NES/SNES is easy and GC will take some mucking around, will check it out **
    ** I really just want Super Smash Bros :D **

12. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Check this one, it’s basically a switch so it can emulate most things pretty well.

13. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Nice video, thanks for the link! Will definitely be chucking some of those on mine.