NVidia Tapes out G70 Silicon...

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Deeman, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22645

Ooh. Interesting...

No more details as of yet. Surely people didn't really think NVidia would sit around whilst ATi stole the crown with the R520 did they?

2. NiTeHaWk

NiTeHaWk Member

I want it, when can i buy one?

Its time for an upgrade, though im greedy and want dual core, and a newer pcie revision.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  3. sandeep

sandeep Member

Do you reckon Nvidia will come out on top of ATI again?

This should be a real good one since both of them are going for shader 3.0.

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I'd be surprised if either of them really comes out 'on top' with their top-end cards. Even in the current generation they've had plenty of trouble making the top-end cards available - I don't know how they can even consider trying to start a newer (and more complex) core. In this generation, they've been pretty equal at the top-end (Nvidia won the mid-range with the 6600GT, but ATI will probably attack that sometime soon).

It'd take a pretty spectacular failure from one of them to really do badly (because it'll take a pretty slow ATI card before ATI loses the HL2 performance crown, and it'll take a pretty slow Nvidia card before Nvidia loses the Doom3 performance crown).

Current cards are already up to quad-core (four sets of four pipelines). If you want dual-core, you could have had that when ATI released the Radeon 9700.

5. TOX

TOX Member

I think he means Dual Core processors :p

6. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

again?? what is this again!

x800>6800

7. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

That statement is false, IF YOU READ SLAYTES COMMENT, you will see that the x800/x850 and the 6800 series each hold their own, and the cards perform different in each type of application, some ati wins, some nvidia wins. Keep your fanboy talk to yourself.

8. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

lmao, keep your troll rage to yourself. See how it was a joke? I quoted one extreme and replied with the other. Just trying to maintain the balance.

[Although I do think that, on balance the x800s are better than the 6800 on games other than crap3 and HalfLife poo. There are more than two games in the world at the momment, although clearly this is outside the scope of the thread]

9. SLATYE

Ah, that'd make sense.

I had considered replying to Sandeep's comment on Nvidia versus ATI, but I thought he might be referring to the last time that Nvidia actually was really on top of ATI (Radeon 8500 versus Geforce4). Since then, I don't think that Nvidia has actually been completely on top at any point (well, they hold the performance record at the moment, but that's just because they've got SLI).

10. ac3

ac3 Member

The 8500 was designed to compete with the GeForce 3 Ti500 if I remember correctly. The GeForce 4 is one generation newer.

11. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

Ooh Ooh OOH!!... when can i get one...
    lol x800 vs 6800
    my 6800nu mod to 16&6 (lucky i know) ;) best purchase i ever made!
    at the time x800 with slighly better performance +50% price...

SaMbO

12. SLATYE

That's true, but ATI never really had any competitor to the Geforce4 line except for the Radeon 8500 (unless you count the 9700, but that was released a fair bit later and was really up against the GFFX series).

13. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

I don't think anyone will argue against 6800NUs and 6600gts are damn good
    :D

Although there does seem to be a high % of dodgy 6600gt's, maybe it's just that so many are sold.

14. Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

i think it was a dodgy batch from leadtek all the problems i saw earlier on were leadtek having artifact/heat issues with the earlier AGP version but its all cleared up now.

15. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

How does that work? When Sandeep posts that Nvidia are on top you say nothing, but when Petfoodonly posts that he thinks ATI are better all of a sudden he's a raving fanboy? Bit harsh there methinks matey :)

Just on that note it's actually not a good time to be a fanboy. Overall the X850XT PE is the fastest single card you can buy, while a pair of 6800 Ultras is the fastest combination you can get. Both companies are so close at the moment that theoretically we customers can only benefit. It's just a shame that the price of new cards seem to be going slightly up rather than going down :(

16. Zieprus

Zieprus Member

A little more info on the G70 well speculation then.
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=22734

"3Dc is a new compression marchitecture meant to increase the level of details in games. All ATI cards from X800 generation upwards have this capability and it turns out that new Nvidia cards are going to use it as well.

We believe the upcoming G70 has this support already, as it's taped out. It is the first compression technique optimised to use normal maps, allowing per pixel control over light reflection from a textured surface. In other words, it can look very good. "

17. sandeep

sandeep Member

Presently,nVidia has dominance in high end sector as well as mid end sector.
    It is very obvious and clear that nVidia is out on top. Nvidia has slammed ATI with its revolutionary SLI. It is able to produce SLI and its in the market for some time now with nothing from ATI side. nVidia also has advancement in shader 3.0 technology and there is no doubt that nVIDIA is on top at the moment. Not only this, ATI put on a X800 with 12 pixel pipeline and nVidia has 6800GT with full blown features making it a BETTER value for money.

If you want good Open GL support, fastest card then ONLY nVidia as it now. If a Tom walks in a shop demanding BEST gaming system, he will get SLI. And who has it, nVIDIA.

Right now nVidia outweighs ATI.

Its just plain truth. However it will get interesting on ATI side for next generation as they will be aiming to produce a better card than nVIdia. I reckon next generation will be interesting.

cheers

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  18. Hairy_Harold

Hairy_Harold Member

I reackon that ati must be lossing money in a way because they have all these frigging different cards they make for agp and pci-e and they must confuse the hell out of the mid range to low end pc users.

19. SLATYE

Well, that's true, except that Nvidia's SM3.0 support isn't actually especially good and anything which can be done by SM3.0 can also be done by SM2.0 (and ATI is fast enough with SM2.0 that it doesn't really matter when things take a bit longer than using SM3.0).

Nvidia have SLI. This is true. SLI only actually helps in systems where you're spending $1000+ on video cards (dual 6800GTs) - anything lower (dual 6600GTs, for example) are easily countered by a single high-end ATI card. It's not true that there's 'nothing from ATI side' - ATI's got AMR, and it's likely to do a pretty good job as soon as they release the required mainboards.

ATI put on a 12-pipe X800Pro to counter the 16-pipe Geforce 6800GT. So what? The X800Pro still beats the 6800GT in a fair few benchmarks, and gives you the option of unlocking it. Furthermore, ATI's got the X800XL (16-pipelines), which is also a good competitor to the 6600GT.

You may be interested to know that on a pure clock speed x pipelines basis, the X800Pro is more powerful than the 6800GT (it's got less pipelines, but the far higher core clock more than makes up for that).

12 x 475Mhz = 5700
    16 x 350Mhz = 5600

Using a similar argument, if you want the fastest D3D support, ATI has it now (if you don't play with SLI, but SLI requires driver support for the games).

If Tom walks into a computer shop and asks for a gaming system, Tom is likely to leave that shop with a Celeron 2.6Ghz, 256MB of RAM, a 40GB HDD, a generic case, and either a Geforce FX5700LE or a Radeon 9550SE for a grand total of $3999. The only time that Tom will actually get an SLI system is if he knows what he's getting and actually makes sure that he gets an SLI 6800GT or 6800 Ultra system.

Nvidia outweighs ATI primarily through their mid-range (ATI really dropped the ball this time. They don't have any decent $250 - $350 cards to attack the Geforce 6600GT). There is no Nvidia card which is faster than the competing ATI card in all benchmarks. SLI is nice, but when it needs driver support and costs twice as much, it doesn't really carry all that much value.

20. groovetek

groovetek Member

I reckon in the mid-end sector, definitely nVidia is totally ripping ATi... I have to see someone here buy an X700... and I don't think many will... with the great price of 6600GT's these days... and with SLI capability too...

As for the high-end sector however... I think it's not that easy to pick out a winner... Personally I think you need to divide the high end sector into the "Ultimate Top End" and "High-End"... Let me explain... OK to put it simply, ATi is somewhat non-existent in the "Ultimate Top End" segment at the moment, because there is quite a performance gap between ATi's top 3D solution, namely X850XT PE vs 2x 6800 GT/Ultras in SLI. With SLI getting more and more support for almost every game and boosting performance by such margins... it's clear nVidia is dominating here... BUT, obviously, such performance doesn't come without a price. Two 6800 Ultra cards will cost you at least twice as much as an X850XT PE... which is ridiculous... and because of that, there is what I call the "High-End" segment...

X850 series fall into this category, as do single 6800 GT/Ultra, x800 series, and SLI 6600GT... And I think in THIS group, ATi is leading...

Firstly, within this group, the undeniable leaders are X850XT & X850XTPE.

Then it's a tough fight between X800XT/ XT PE and 6800 Ultra, but X800XT comes out on top, overall. Priced similarly at the moment though...

Then we have X800XL, which overall offers as good performance as 6800GT, at a slightly lesser price (and in the case of PCI-E, quite a noticeble price margin), so ATi is leading here too...

Nobody is gonna buy an x800 pro new these days... so I think that can be forgotten...

I think we need to exclude X800, since it kinda falls into the mid end segment, similarly with 6800NU...

Anyway there that's what I think - nVidia is the only contender in the "Ultimate Top End", BUT they are being edged out in the normal "High-End" segment...

Everywhere else... nVidia is raping ATi though... 6600GT, 6200, all dominating the market... and for good reason. :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005