nVidia + Via confirmed!

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by NTBlowz, Apr 12, 2008.

1. dmandn

dmandn Member

Soooo true, but they already found out what a laptop can do, they have been playing wow in lectures for years already.

2. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Good news, but seems like this might be a knee jerk reaction....

Ati and Amd's merging hasn't really come to benefit yet, we havn't saw a cpu/gpu on one core yet for example, but with any luck might happen next or the year after.

3. Xplora

Xplora Member

NV said a couple years back that they see the CPU being consumed by the GPU in the longer term. Given their market share combined with ATI, they could probably force Intel into a difficult position over the course of a couple years. After all, CPU is generally speaking a single pipe interfacing with RAM, and a GPU is many pipelines interfacing with RAM. It can't be too hard to channel one pipeline on a GPU to run CPU instructions. We're already at a point where a properly built OS could do do amazing things with a GPU doing the basic CPU work. Probably a good reason why the latest Windows gets put back!

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Via quits the motherboard chipset business....

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/11/via-quits-motherboard-chipset

5. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

i say Good luck for VIA, im a fan of the underdogs. They should beable to create something more competitive with the help of Nvidia.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well so long to the Creative/Via soundcard problems! heh

7. oohms

oohms Member

Im not so sure thats a good thing... not making intel/amd chipsets means they miss out on that market and are focused on their own mediocre cpu/chipset combination, which is under more threat now that the atom is here.

8. stmok

stmok Member

Makes business sense...Why waste money and time on supporting AMD or Intel chips when they have their own chipsets? Focus on your own processor and chipset to deliver a platform.

Of course, VIA is behind in regards to IGP. (Intel's X4500 series should perform like a GF8400-series, when its driver is polished. And AMD/ATI's 780/790 IGP simply kicks ass for its class.)

Is Nvidia still going to help them out, or are they on their own now?

The problem with VIA is that they have their own definition of what "budget' and "adequate performance" actually is. eg: Intel's IGP is what every PC enthusiast knows, as the bottom of the barrel. It'll get you by, but don't expect miracles. It doesn't do too bad, as its getting better with each generation. (Compare a GMA X3100 to a X4500, and its quite a difference)...But for some reason, VIA doesn't even bother on their IGPs. They are below Intel's IGP!

Don't they own S3 Graphics? Why not use the talent they have there? (You're unifying processor and chipset personnel anyway, throw in some graphics folks...And come up with a real serious platform contender in the budget market). Their Chrome 400-series of discrete GPUs ain't that bad. Its about the level of AMD's and Nvidia's budget lines. (perfect for a brand new IGP!)

Their Nano processor is their first processor in years, that starts to offer something somewhat decent. It sits between Intel's Atom and Celeron lines. (depends on apps you use).

Its like everyone is cheering them to be that third contender, but they just don't want to do it. VIA's C7 to Nano shows they can do good things...Its all up to them.

9. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

I'm hoping to see an Isaiah CPU + Nvidia IGP in a laptop

10. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Are Via's new IGPs all that bad? In the new Nano reviews there have been tests done between Atom and Nano CPUs using the IGPs, and the Nano came out a long way ahead in Crysis (about twice as fast, although still under 20 frames per second). I would have thought that Crysis would be completely GPU-limited, so that'd suggest that Via's IGPs are a lot quicker than i945GC (which is really what Via are competing against now. Intel's not going to use the G35/G45 with Atom CPUs).

Of course, an Nvidia IGP would be great. Something like the Geforce 8200 would provide Via with capabilities not far off what the 780G offers for AMD.

11. BlackSniper87

BlackSniper87 Member

only problem would be power consumption as the via platform already uses more juice then the atom

12. SLATYE

The CPU uses more power, but Intel's chipsets are really power-hungry. Even AMD's super-fast 780G draws less power than the i945GC. It wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia could come up with a chipset offering reasonable performance at a power level significantly below what the i945GC manages.

13. BlackSniper87

BlackSniper87 Member

fair enough point, come on intel use your bloody brain why would you pair a processor with incredible low power requirements with a power hungry chipset.

shit like this just amazes me

14. SLATYE

They've actually got a low-power chipset (Poulsbo). However, that's reserved for Silverthorne CPUs, in expensive systems.

Forcing netbook manufacturers to use i945GC/i945GSE is Intel's way of making their more expensive CPUs and chipsets reasonably attractive. Unfortunately for Intel, this only works when you're the only player in the market. Now that AMD are also heading into the UMPC market (with the A64 2000+ and 780G), Intel's going to be forced to either allow a proper low-power chipset (maybe just i945GM) or drop prices substantially to keep their market share. Either way, it's great news for us.

15. stmok

stmok Member

Update...

Nvidia loses interest in VIA Nano
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11463&Itemid=1

Nvidia IGP + VIA Nano => Dead. Gone. Finished. Game Over. You can stop holding your breath! Move on...

16. SLATYE

Ah well. Nvidia + Intel should be good. Both of those companies do tend to release things on time, and the Atom combined with a decent chipset should be great.

No doubt Via will develop their own chipsets. The S3 Chrome GPUs look pretty decent (comparable to a HD 3450) and they can assist with video decoding, so an integrated version of that might turn up at some point.

17. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Bah, I've been saying those 2 should team up for years.

Lets face it, via cpu's are shit.
    Nvidia's engineers are good.

Bring them together and they should be able to create something pretty special.

Ah well, via will keep trucking on in the shadows i guess.

18. stmok

stmok Member

This interview with Nvidia's CEO reveals an interesting bit...

Nvidia CEO Sounds Off on Netbooks, Ion Platform, Tegra, and MIDs
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/nvidia-ceo-sounds-off-on-netbooks-ion-platform-tegra-and-mids

Because of VIA's lack of resources,
    => Nano + Ion = Dead

However,
    => Nano + Ion 2 (or whatever it will be called) = "More of a possibility"

19. thebranded

thebranded Member

i just hope VIA can survive untill then!

20. SLATYE

Via's survived for years with CPUs much slower (relative to normal CPUs) than Nano. At least Nano can compete with Atom; the C7 couldn't compete with anything.