Nvidia Volta Turing/Ampere GTX 1180 2080 Megathread early PCB Leak + Buildzoid analysis edition WOW

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by nope, May 19, 2018.

?

Are you going to get whatever the hell this card is ?

1. No

18.3%
  2. Yes

28.2%
  3. Maybe (if the miners dont fuck the prices)

37.3%
  4. Not sure/undecided

10.6%
  5. AMD for lyfe

4.2%
  6. Leatherlife

1.4%
  7. Dont select this

10.6%
  8. reee

9.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perko

Perko Member

If they're just your average gamer, why would they bother switching cards for the lulz? Particularly to something that has elevated pricing that puts its price to performance for gaming specifically in the toilet?

2. chook

chook Member

There would have to be some kind of insane benefit from whatever engineering improvements for me to ditch my 1080Ti and get a new (presumably) 1180Ti. My preference would be to let other folk take it in the poop shoot on price and pick up a cheap second 1080Ti. This would not only give me more frames but also let my whinge and complain about poor SLI performance like a true enthusiast.

3. Radley

Radley Member

I'm calm. That site is just pure rubbish though.

4. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

freesync being 1/3 of the price for 4k/2k 144hz screens?

5. Perko

Perko Member

1/3 of the premium over a monitor without frame sync you mean. Which is neither here nor there to the cost of swapping over if you have a current gen card already.

6. havabeer

havabeer Member

Wasn’t there something a while back allowing you to use nvidia cards on freesync Monitors?

7. power

power Member

If nvidia were smart they'd remove the associated costs with g-sync. It will ultimately fail, i don't know how they haven't realised this due to cost/benefit. It doesn't matter to joe consumer that g-sync is the better technology freesync is marketed as just as good but cheaper. It will win that battle.

I'm actually pretty keen to see televisions with freesync in them, that will be huge for the console space.

8. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

I would say, they doing good so far, freesync panel have been here forever now, same as G-sync panels, and they still sell well. I don't see g-sync tech failing anytime soon, especially with AMD having fuk-all tech to complete with nvidia, and once you on nvidia you go for g-sync.

but then, you removing the cinematic, choppy, 30fps experience from the console gamers.

9. power

power Member

good console games that run locked 30 are normally locked there because if you unlock the framerate frame times to get choppy as it struggles to reach a solid 60 at all times - like on pc when v-sync is turned off.

A 30fps locked with stable frame times console game does feel good - just not as good as it could be obviously.

an unlocked framerate on a console with freesync should see a console like xbox one x or future consoles that aren't bound by those shitty jaguar cpu's seeing higher framerates without the bad times of a regular unlocked framerate.

60 fps console games do feel great they just aren't as common. i hope that future consoles get a nice bump from ryzen cores in them.

10. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

Nvidia had a track record of proprietary shit like gay sync 3d vision physx and cuda.
    I buy nvidia cards when I have to but I try not to also their drivers are a mess

11. power

power Member

i like that nvidia buy and develop new technology their new dive back into ray tracing is also cool.

12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

gay sync actually works though.

13. xosfear

xosfear Member

Agreed, although they're far less of a mess than AMD drivers.

14. Metora

Metora Member

This used to be true, but it really isnt now...

I 'jumped the fence' last year from SLI'ed 980's to a Vega64, and i must say i'm really impressed. They've really improved dramatically, so much that it makes the nVidia one feel ancient and clunky by comparison. All these comments about how bad they are really don't hold true these days, as i'd argue that i encountered more issues with the nVidia drivers (and lilley SLI too) than i've had with the AMD setup.

It also helps that the Vega is much better than most people seem to think it is, but that's another issue(argument) entirely.

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

higher fps for BF1 from AMD. :D but nvidia manufacturing process has a good edge right now.

16. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

at raping your wallet, still doesnt have proper HDR/SDR support in windows at a hardware level leaving games to tone map, its crap for that.
    as someone who had a 1080 and 960 till last week i can safetly say that nvidias drivers are worse, first of all the control panel hasnt changed since the mid 00's and the actual drivers themselves from the 38x-39x are horrible but u need them to play the latest games
    Yeah vega still has its issues but i'd take it any day over nvidias fragmented fucked up gtx 10xx line which is absolute aids, i love pascal especally the 1080 and the X but holy moley are their drivers and anything below a 1070ti absolute junk.

17. Perko

Perko Member

Sounds like PICNIC to me. I support a couple of dozen gaming rigs with various monitors and none of them have issues. Mostly 6gb 1060s.

Can't speak to improvements to Radeon drivers in gaming, because the RX stuff I look after only does OpenCL work, none of the gamers want it.

18. OP
    OP
    nope

nope Member

Im kinda over nvidia, been with them for over a year and thats ancient in terms of gpu im used to the days where you'd be able to get a new gpu every 6-18 months so 24+ months on pascal is aids for me

then theres this lol!

Yes i know its pascal but its basically a new card

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yeh ...is the lower specced 1030 cheaper than the original 1030?

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_1887/graphics-cards/geforce-gt-1030

or is the original specced 1030 now eol/extinct from nvidia's production line?

http://www.msy.com.au/nvidia/19258-...x-1030-low-profile-silent-pci-e-vga-card.html
    looks like the original higher specced ones are goiing extinct in the wild, and the new one is same price ...good job nvidia luv ya work.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  20. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Using slower ram in low end GPUs has been a thing since forever. Not sure about amd but I remember the 8600gt using cheap shit ram but twice as much to make it sound better lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.