NZ - South Island in September

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by mmBax, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

It does snow down to the beach at Christchurch...

2. Smoza

Smoza Member

What sort of vehicle are you getting? 2WD/AWD/4WD? It really depends on the sort of roads you're planning on taking.

It rarely snows and settles much on state highway roads in most areas, and any such road would likely be cleared and gritted within a day in those circumstances. Some of the mountain passes will definitely get snow, but are unlikely to be impassable for more than a day, and with chains and/or 4wd you'd be mostly ok.

If you're planning on driving up to the ski fields some will require (maybe all?) you to carry chains at least. And some backcountry or higher less travelled roads won't be maintained in the event of snow near as quickly as main roads. (I was stuck in the Catlins for two nights last winter - silly me)

tl:dr If they don't add much expense then yeah

3. Clem

Clem Member

I stayed at Te Anua last night and wasn't able to get to Milford due to snow on the road, so if i had stayed at Milford I would have been snowed in, so chains prob aren't a bad option, they're cheap too so no big deal unless really tight on budget.

Camper van has been great travelling and easy to maneuver.

Spending my days till Monday in QTown.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Damn cold over there but well worth it when you sit in your super toasty camper van at night : )

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Good to hear.

We go from August 8th - 18th.. fly into QT and out of QT and have a Camper for every night. Been keeping an eye on the forecast but hearing real world experience is great.. will be grabbing the chains with the van I think and plenty of supplies on our first night.

6. Clem

Clem Member

What's your plan of travel? Where do you want to go?

7. Deftone2k

Still not sure on how we will divide up our time but it also depends on the weather, we are flexible and plan on staying not in campsites if need be, but happy to plugin during the evening especially since its so cold.

Key places we want to go

Hooker Valley/Tekapo
    Wanaka
    Milford Sound

Places we are happy to go to

Oamaru
    Moreaki
    Dunedin/Nugget Point

One way could be

1 or 2 nights in QT
    2 nights in Wanaka
    2 nights in Tekapo
    1 night in Moreaki/Oamaru
    1 night between Moreaki & Te Anau (or over near Te Anau so we can enjoy the day drive down into Milford sound)
    1 night in Milford Sound
    1 night back in QT for the last night. This gives us time to travel and not have to rush back on the final day to get to the airport.

Always happy for suggestions on how to improve this.. we are pretty flexible as we have no real lust to see certain things as we know we will be back. Probably key thing for me is Hooker Valley and taking lots of photos, as thats what I love to do. I'd like to surprise the gf with a heli ride up to Roy's Peak whilst in Wanaka.

Could just as easily skip Moreaki/Dunendin and stay a bit more inland heading over to Milford sound if it means we get more time exploring and less time couped up driving.

8. izequel

izequel Member

You'll have an awesome time.

I might suggest you spend only 1 night in Tekapo. It's a super beautiful place, but there is not much going on there.

9. OP
    OP
    mmBax

mmBax Member

Tekapo wasn't too bad, there's a little shopping centre and some open fields which when we were there had Segways cruising around for rent and some other things.

We stayed at the Caravan park which is up on the hill to on the West side of the lake, the Caravan park had free dvd rentals so we watched a couple of movies, and on the warm days we walked down to the lake and sat around having a beer chatting, it was a nice walk from the caravan park into the city, only 10-15 minutes I think.

There's also Tekapo springs, and although I don't think they're the nicest around, it was still nice to get into some hot pools and relax. I think there's also a walk that goes up around the hills that starts near the Springs entrance.

Apparently my memory was correct.
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...po-area/things-to-do/lake-tekapo-town-tracks/

I didn't explore around Moeraki, but the boulders were really underwelming.
    Oamaru was great though, Brewery Tours, nice little shopping area (very expensive), Steampunk museum, penguins. Caravan park down along the wharf near the penguin area was relatively new when we stayed there, it wasn't too bad, conveniently placed though.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. Deftone2k

Thanks mate :thumbup:

I am all about the photography, accounting for some lost days to weather perhaps.. I want to do some nights and sunrise/sunset so dont mind having the extra time. To be honest we explore a lot, so the locations are more bases to come back to in the evening and be out and busy during the day times.

Thanks for the tips. That walk sounds interesting, we plan on doing a few depending on the weather. Have looked into doing some kayaking +canoeing whilst there.

Have heard the same think about Moreaki.. I think its a case of if I want to photograph them or not. Our other option is to avoid the east coast and head a bit further north, or spend more time in the south before scooting up to Te Anau... Milford Sound.

Might just play it by ear, and book campsites once we are there.

11. izequel

izequel Member

In that case you could probably spend a week there, it's the most picturesque place i've ever been.

Also, if you're yet to book accommodation for Lake Tekapo, the Mantra has an outdoor heated spa, and was a perfect place to star gaze at night.

12. Deftone2k

I just read that somewhere! Maybe will splash out for a night out of the camper whilst there, would be pretty cool experience :D

13. Deftone2k

Thanks for everyone's help! We are loving the trip, currently in Wanaka and then off to Mt Cook tomorrow (staying about 20km out of Mt Cook Village, mainly so we can do the Hooker Valley walk on Saturday when the weather looks ok).

Then back down to Kingston south of QT, then to Te Anau for a night, one night in Milford Sound and then the last night in QT.

Oh for the OP, we got a Vodafone Travel Sim.. 3gb data and a bunch of minutes for $45 AUD, I needed it for work so worthwhile having for sure. Most campsites are ok with Wifi but its pretty poor depending on how many guests are there that day.

This was in QT the other night, has been REALLY cold (this was about -6 with windchill) but worth it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016