1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

My heart bleeds for them, I wouldn't wan them to have to do any work, scratch that idea.

2. remi

remi Member

A bit of a google turned up that part of the issue is indeed needing to change ATM's internals. It is also that $50 notes have had a long term bad reputation for counterfeiting, until the release of the new notes. That is, shops, businesses etc simply wouldn't accept $50 notes.

In terms of bank fees; there are a number of accounts at TD/CIBC and probably others that if you maintain a minimum balance ($2000 @ CIBC) then there are no account keeping fees. Just need to figure out what best meets your needs. It's a market economy. You do realise that in Australia there are still many accounts with account keeping fees, ATM fees for non-bank ATM use, various other fees. Canada isn't alone on all of this.

I agree, Cheques are a very strange one. Most of my rent has been paid by Cheque and they preferred it that way. My last landlord wouldn't accept it any other way. However he was very old and simply didn't understand/trust the banking system. Long and stupid story on that.

Email money transfers become quite useful once you get the hang of it.

3. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Australia is actually nearly as bad for bullshit fees and stuff, yet I pay zero fees on my European account.

Email transfers are dumb because you have to pay for them and the $2k limit on them makes them really useless for something like buying a car.

I rate the president choice accounts, there are no fees on everyday banking you use CIBC atms for free. You do have to pay to use other ATMS.

If you shop at president choice its especially good as you earn points towards purchases at the store, I probably get about $20 a fortnight worth of free groceries.

The main problem is the lack of any branches where you can withdraw larger cash amounts.

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

interac is not a bad system, but it's not meant to for big purchases like a car.

5. EP1C

EP1C Member

Anyone currently in the pool for Express Entry?

Dealing with this nightmare at the moment...it's taken months to get everything in order and now im in the pool but without an LMIA i have fuck all points....didn't make the cutoff for the draw that happened yesterday.

Just a waiting game now. What a shit way to spend what could be the remainder of my time here.

Trying to sort out a provincial nomination through work now as the LMIA requirements are just ridiculous.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

great, got my tax assessment back....so many DRs!

7. IntelFTW!

IntelFTW! Member

After two and a bit months of applying for the IEC WHV, finally got my POE letter and will be arriving in LAX on 26th Nov and then continuing into Canada. Haven't really thought about where I should stay either in Van or Toronto.

Cant wait!

8. iTool

iTool Member

Planning on spending 9 days (including flight time to/from Calgary) in Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City next month. Anyone got any hot tips? I mean besides the well-known must sees/dos.

My initial research leads me to believe that Ottawa is the least deserving of our time. Will be catching VIA Rail between the cities, but will hire a car for a day if there's something outside of transit range that is particularly nice.

9. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Ottawa's a beautiful city with a lot of great museums. QC is full of history as well. In Montreal, I recommend you see who's playing. They have an amazing music scene.

What kinds of things would interest you?

10. peteo

peteo Member

My must do for Ottawa is hiring a car and heading out to Montebello/Parc Omega. It was about an hour drive from memory, it's this massive park setup that you drive around feed/look at all the native animals. Then stay the night at the awesome Chateau nearby

http://www.fairmont.com/montebello/
    http://www.parcomega.ca/en/

11. iTool

iTool Member

Thanks for the tips guys, will check it out.

Given that I spend every weekend in the Rockies I'm already spoilt scenery-wise, so I guess the main things we'll be interested in will be architecture, some interesting food, parks/urban spaces and some historical buildings etc. Might do a museum or too, but history ones as opposed to art.

12. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Sounds like you're going to enjoy your time in Montreal and QC more. Even still, you may want to take in some of the museums in Ottawa, like the Canadian Museum of History (actually in Hull), the Aviation Museum, and others. Maybe have a picnic on the Parliament grounds and see if you can spot the lobbyists handing over their envelopes of cash.

13. iTool

iTool Member

Ok cool. Anyone been to the Diefenbunker outside Ottawa? Looks interesting but you have to drive out there and I just noticed that car rentals are crazy expensive out east - almost twice the cost of Alberta!

14. t00|

t00| Member

Coming over March next year to Van on a work holiday with the missus.

Thanks heaps for all the information throughout this thread :) This and whirlpool has some great reading of peoples experiences. Hopefully last a while and make it over to Tor to dip in and out of the states a bit too.

How many of you are still over in Canada? :)

15. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I'm still here, 2 years now and my PR is apparently in the works which will be nice because my work permit expires in a year. :wired:

Hoping for a colder winter in van this year, though initial signs aren't promising....

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

my visa is done in march and i don't think i have the time to go through the application process for a new permit or even PR so when march rocks by i'll be outta here. it'll be sad to go and it has been the best 2 years of my life and i don't think that there will be anything that'll top it.

17. t00|

t00| Member

Hehe, reading through this thread I think a "warmer" winter won't be too bad, although for me March is towards the end either way.

I've been reading your story through this thread. It's been great. Giving me a few doubts about work. Hoping I can pick up any job, even cleaning, while I look for something partially better. As long as I can cover a roof and food, I should be happy. It's what I'm heading over for. Experiencing work in a different country :)

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i am thinking of doing a train ride into new york and i wonder if i can get leave by train or if i need to go by plane?

yeah, for the first few days it's all new, strange and different but now i am so used to everything i just don't want to leave :(

at least i have my tatts :D

19. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Van isn't even that cold, maybe 2 weeks a year at or below zero.

I used to live on the gold coast and am definitely a warm weather person and I don't find it that tough.

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

toronto can get to about -40c. when i got here in march it was snow storms, strong winds, and cold air to make your face fall off. coming in during the winter is the tough bit especially for the first few weeks. I can during the tail end so it wasn't as bad because there was a serious blackout in the 2013-2014 xmas holidays. It was tough because it's not something i am used to but now i have gotten used to it to where i will think it'll snow in sydney during winter when it doesn't.

that's the dark side of snow, the up side is snowball fights :D

snow is also the reason why i haven't driven anywhere in toronto because the weather is rough and insurance premiums are high and i have no one to borrow a car from and i don't think they would even cover me anyway. in a way it's good cos it seem i am unwittingly good at public transport so fuck cars.

the way toronto is structured is in a grid system and it's so easy to navigate...unlike the tangled mess that is sydney. i suggest getting passes while you're at it as they do save on the convenience.

plus there's like heaps of nice brands here too if you're the shopping type.