1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. iTool

iTool Member

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

just wondering if 2 months is worth paying tax on even though one has to be considered a resident for tax purposes for 6 months or more. probably, but by the time i would have to fill it out i would be out of the country and unable to submit.

EDIT: I guess i'll have to do for 2016 but give a date as to when i left Canada.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

just finished up my last day of work in canada...now i have about 5 days to get my shit in order before leaving.

really like it here :p

4. randomman

randomman Member

Still better than me. My visa expires end of March and I still haven't been accepted into a visa or PR pool.

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

That's worrying indeed!

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Well Canada, it's been a fun ride. Will miss this place.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

(so I'm a Canadian CA who worked in tax/audit for 6 years there, but now in oz...)

You have to file, but you put your leaving date in. Everything is done pro rata so it usually works out pretty cleanly. Only annoying bit is the paper filing and mailing it to Ottawa.

The really weird bit, which I could never get a straight answer on from either government, you won't be a resident of Australia for a full tax year either (Mar-Jun 30), so technically you weren't a tax resident anywhere for that time, giving no country to pay full taxes on income (then get the deductions for foreign paid tax).

I asked them both this and wound up with an answer of "just do whatever works", so I filed a part year in Australia as a normal resident and part year in Canada as a normal resident and just left it as that, ending/starting both so I wasn't doing any kind of tax dodging and no one ever came back to me on it.

Because you're a tax resident for that year though you still have to file your taxes. I forgot to put in that my 2013 return would be my last and I STILL get letters about asking for a return for 2014. Fortunately I don't owe them squat, but they get pissy about it (I've had a few letters of demand that might be a pain if I ever try reenter the country).

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I have no idea how to file my tax for 2016 when I am not in Canada to even file it. Might need a relative to do it on my behalf when I get the T4 and my travel history for my presto card.

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

wondering what i need to do to get PR....any good places to start?

10. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Daughter leaves for Canada on Saturday as part of a school exchange program.

Was thinking she could just get a cheap sim card for her mobile once she gets there but the rates don't look too good from what google has turned up.

Kinda late but any tips for a mobile service provider for someone staying in Ottawa for 2 months?

11. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Heading Back to Vancouver! Booked flights for 5 weeks early next year, late Jan to early March.

When I was there Christmas 2014 I just grabbed a month from Koodo - https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans - Prepaid in cash and let it expire when I left. Didn't need data as free wifi was freely available. I'll be doing the same when I go back next year.

12. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Yeah Koodo looks good once she gets setup over there. Thanks for the tip.

I still want to get her something so she has mobile on arrival so think I might get a Coles Roaming Sim with a few bucks on it just cover off the first few days.

https://colesmobileroamingsim.com.au/en-US/Home/CommonQuestions

13. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Where's she flying to? She might be able to pick up a SIM and activate it at or close to the airport. For that matter, you can always phone or chat with Koodo to see if they have any ideas.

14. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Disembarking at Ottawa.

Exactly my thoughts until yesterday morning. She should easily be able to pickup a local sim at the airport but having looked today at the Ottawa airport website, there doesn't appear to be a lot there in terms of retail there.

Closest Koodo stores, (according to Koodo website), are in the city district of Ottawa and I was just hoping that our daughter would be able to at least appear somewhat prepared rather than asking her host family to stop in the city to get a SIM on the way home from the airport. :p

Hence the reason for thinking I will get her a travel SIM here so at least she'll have a week or so of phone usage before needing to get to a Koodo store.

To make things harder, the township she's staying in isn't exactly in suburbia. It's a really, really, really small rural town half way between Ottawa and Montreal kinda in the middle of nowhere and with first snow already starting to fall I can't imagine they'll be getting out much. :eek:

15. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

They can sometimes ship or mail SIM cards. I'd see if there's a way of pre-ordering and having it ready to be picked up. I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask a customer service agent.

Also, you can purchase pay as you go cell service at any 7-11 convenience store. The best part of this is that the airtime you purchase has a 365 day expiry period. I'm not advocating here, but this might tick the box of accessibility easier than a Koodo outlet.

16. chrisaaa

chrisaaa Member

Hey Guys,
    Trying to get my Visa sorted, Do I apply now for moving over in December?
    How does it work?

17. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Apply sooner than later. If you have issues, it can be a long process.

18. chrisaaa

chrisaaa Member

Ok thanks!

So just for my understanding, if I apply now and get a visa approved and sorted in two months time. Does the Visa then start when i actually go there in December?

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I'm fairly certain you organise it for a date of entry. I haven't done the process myself so I can't say anymore really.

20. chrisaaa

chrisaaa Member

Ok sweet! Thanks alot, helps heaps!

Me and my partner are going to go over there and stay in a hostel when we first arrive and then look for a rental apartment for ourselves, my question is it easy to obtain a rental without jobs already?

Whats the easist way for us to get settled?

Thanks!