O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Moved to fibe 500 yet? :p

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

don't think so LUL

3. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Damn, 500? I *CAN* get 300/300 here, but that's the fastest I've seen.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's available over there now yes?

5. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Surely after a point, it really becomes redundant how much faster your net is?

I am not certain that 30MB/s would meaningfully increase my life any better than 10MB/s I currently get.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

True for most usage yes, just downloads of bigger files are obviously quicker. So yeah, just depends on your usage.

7. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Also useful if there's more people in the household.

8. mtw

mtw Member

Who did you all use for insurance when going over on a 2 year International Experience Canada (IEC) visa? It apparently needs to have the full 2 years coverage in place before entering the country...

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I did world nomad's for 1 year. the problem is no insurer will insure for 2 years so you have to get 2 separate policies and if you don't have enough to cover the 2 years you'll only get a permit that covers the length of the insurance policy i.e. if you have only 1 year of insurance then your visa will only last 1 year IIRC.

On another note, my excitement for living here in Canada has waned a lot in the 3.5 months i have been here looking for work. I have been so frustrated by the number of rejections that it makes me feel like I am somehow not good enough for whoever.

I've pretty much stopped sending out applications for the time being so I can give myself time to go travel and see other cities in Canada, and recompose myself before I decide if I want to keep looking or leave after I get my chest tattoo done.

I think the root cause of my problem is that i came for not the best reasons (i.e. get more tattoos done by one particular artist) and so the more I think about it the more I feel lucky that I at least have that option to go back to Australia.

If I do end up coming back to Australia then I'll let the PR lapse or voluntarily give it up.

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Just got back from three weeks in Canada. Such a nice country.

The weather was a bit shit though... 30+ degree c? No thanks!!!

Really enjoyed Ottawa and once I got over the vast number of people in Banff I enjoyed the scenery a ton. Vancouver, despite a very poor initial impression, was enjoyable as well. It was just a shame the wildfire smoke followed us to Banff and from Banff to Vancouver and we didn't get to see the long views.

Niagara falls is a disappointing cess pit of all the worst parts of humanity destroying nature.

Would very happily return to explore more. Air Canada was pretty damned solid too! Flew them BNE>Vancouver>Toronto, Ottawa>Calgary, Calgary>Vancouver, Vancouver>BNE and I think the total delay across all of those flights may have been 90min.

11. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Glad you enjoyed the visit!

Yes, it's been unusually hot this year. We had a day at 39 deg C last week.

Yes, Niagara is hugely commercialized, but Ottawa, QC, and Montreal are all beautiful cities. Vancouver and Toronto are enjoyable in different ways, I think. Where QC, for instance, is so picturesque and filled with history, I find Van and the GTA to both seem so fundamentally alive.

If you had the time, I would have suggested Kananaskis as well as Banff. It has all the grandeur but is much less of a tourist mecca than Banff or Jasper.

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

looking to take time off job hunting to check out ottawa and montreal....any good things to check out while there?

13. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Depends what you like, although I only spent a day there -- really only enough to see Parliament Hill. If you're in Montreal, check out Schartz's Deli.

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Starting to not like Toronto now... I think by December - January I will be done and want to return to Australia.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Why's that? Didn't give it very long.

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

How is 8-9 months not very long? I went into this with some really bad/unsound reasons and therefore I didn't have any real incentive to make me stay long term. Out of every application I have made and have had interviews I either get rejected, get no response, or get promised to be in another round of interviews but hear nothing... Even after sending a follow up to see what the deal is.

So I don't get it. It could be my interview technique but the fact that I am still not in a job is disturbing and annoys the hell out of me to the point where I think that I am just not good enough for Canadian companies.

I'm ok with admitting that I fucked up in my decision making.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  17. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

This is standard for job applications in Canada.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I really don't see anything totally out of the ordinary. It can take a while to find a job unless you're absolute cream-of-the-crop and it can take some time to fill positions also. I know ours can easily take 2-3 months from start to someone new sitting at a desk. I'd say if he has gone 2-3 years without anything then time to reconsider, if finances permit that is.

19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

My patience is limited unfortunately.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Money too? :p