O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Only have about 20k aud left so kinda. I guess the other problem is that I got a job I a month back in Australia so I killed myself with over expectations and a partial commitment to finding work in Toronto.

2. mtw

mtw Member

I'm fairly certain that is standard for job applications everywhere. I've had that in Sydney and London, and will soon be in ni9ht_5ta1k3r's shoes in Canada. Really not looking forward to that part of the move if I'm being honest!

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably the worst part as a lot of things can hinge on employment obviously.

4. mtw

mtw Member

Any luck on your job hunt? What type of work are you looking for?

5. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Damn, that's no good to hear. I, on the other hand, hit the ground running and am doing quite well for myself. I think it's been easier for me perhaps because of the old adage; "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

Have you thought about changing province and trying again?

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, agree. I did hear an interesting little snippet once that most jobs are actually filled through knowing someone, which is obviously why great importance is put on networking and contacts.

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm still looking...still slow. looking at doing some courses in the mean time to up my skills and keep myself busy.

8. mtw

mtw Member

What type of work are you looking for?

EDIT: Also, for any future peoples looking through this thread: At the time of this writing the best insurance for a Canadian visa is through Fastcover. Bought ours yesterday, will be over there by late January 2019! :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Web design / Graphic design

EDIT: TBH I am OK if it doesn't work out for me here in Canada. I think part of it is not being in the right frame of mind, being mentally prepared for it things unplanned, and probably because I went based on some shoddy reasoning. Compounded by the amount of rejections from job applications just made my confidence take a big hit and make me think I am not good enough. So I am gonna make use of my time by taking some short courses while I get the last of my tatts done before I return to Australia.

I feel disappointed in myself that I haven't been able to adapt to changing circumstances but I feel like that if I do a short course and complete it that would help in some way.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  10. mtw

mtw Member

I think that is a good plan mate, I can definitely identify with that. Getting my first contract in the UK was painful, rejections and ghosting across the board - then somehow landed a great job. Still not sure how it happened.

11. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Permanent residency paperwork sent! Also my first cold snap in canada (-30s) very late in the season it appears.

12. mtw

mtw Member

What do you do Ferris? Where abouts in Alberta are you?

13. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Seachange since I got here; doing website SEO, but I'm a mechanic/gasfitter by trade, who did IT in QLD for around a decade.

Currently living in Canmore, 20km east of Banff.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Good luck with that where you can only spend 5 minutes out in it before your fingers snap off with frostbite.

15. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

It's not that bad. Wear the right gear it's no issue. The only difference between -10 and -30 to me is that I wear a balaclava in -30, otherwise your face begins to freeze. Everyone wears gloves, and has multiple gloves, toques, jackets, boots and pants. As long as the majority of your gear is windproof and you have a layer separating you from the windproof layer it's totally fine.

16. mtw

mtw Member

It was -35 up the mountain yesterday here (Red Mountain). It was BRUTAL on the chairlifts getting blasted by wind at those temps. My layering game could do with some work!

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wind chill factor is a killer. That would have been almost painful.

18. mtw

mtw Member

It WAS painful. Despite amazing snow and an empty mountain (due to the temps, obviously) we packed it in at 1pm. Just couldn't do it.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can only imagine. I think I'd prefer the odd 46C day than having those sort of extreme temps.

20. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Sometimes we get 50 deg C swings in temperature in the space of a day or two. It's just so damned confusing.