O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. chip

chip Member

Where did you hear this, officially? Because it contradicts what the US Consulate in Sydney told me last year. Their clarification was that each entry into the USA on the VWP was for a maximum of 90 days, and this 90 day period included time spent in Mexico/Canada, and if you end your VWP stay in the USA upon entering Canada, there's nothing stopping you from re-entering the USA under a new VWP entry at a later date. This advice also agreed with the informal advice I received from a friend of a friend who worked for DHS in the USA.

I found the level of knowledge amongst US border officials very variable - once had to spend 15 minutes explaining the concept of a working holiday visa to a bored and suspicious guard in Detroit. It seems like their biggest worry is people entering the country to work illegally, which is a hilarious concern in Detroit with its 25% unemployment.

It'd be awesome if the US Embassy could address this question on their website, because it causes a lot of worries for Australians heading to Canada who just want to do the right thing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. nine_7_six

nine_7_six Member

I got the b1/b2 visa and don't know what you guys are talking about with it being a hassel.. was so easy, just needed a half a day off work for interview and papers etc.

The first time I crossed the border I had to fill out a white card and go through the usual 2 hour wait...but was worth it. The white card is valid for 6 months and I can cross the border as much as i want without having to go back into that room. I've driven/bussed across 6 times now, no hassel :leet:

but yeah, I called up the canberra consulate and they told me it was illegal for me to use the visa waiver program because it counts my stay in canada and i'm on a 2 year work visa, that's why I got this.

3. slipkord

slipkord Member

I'm a bit late in posting on this thread, but I was successful in getting my Letter of Introduction, so I'm aiming to go to Canada sometime before mid-April 2011 :)

I'm looking forward to this, its a great opportunity to checkout Canada and the US, especially now that my UK WHM visa is going to end soon-ish. I'm excited on the possibilities of further travelling through North America and meeting lots of new folks - I think it would be cool if I got to meet any of you OCAUers who will be around in Canada next year :thumbup:

chip, I'm also looking into this (the need for a B1/B2 visa vs. using VWP/ESTA for multiple visits back and forth US<->Canada), and I too am getting some "conflicting" information from various threads, FAQs, and webpages.

You're right in that there is no one specific paragraph written on any online resource that clearly states what an Australian citizen/passport holder (holding a Canadian WHP visa) should do (either B1/B2 visa or VWP) if they have intentions to make multiple trips into and out of the U.S. from Canada

Here's one that I just came across on the US Embassy in London:

http://london.usembassy.gov/vwp3.html
    A couple of things:

1) The wording of this phrase - "Travelers transiting the United States to take up residence in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas." - is one I'm a bit unsure on. Does having a Canadian WHP visa (and proof of address in Canada such as a bill or other paperwork) suffice for proving that :confused:

2) I just spotted a note saying that I-94/W form is being phased out this month (July 2010)...

3) I guess the other question I have is, if B1/B2 visa is simply the better way to go, what are my best options for applying for one? I'm currently in the United Kingdom and wasn't really planning on visiting Australia (and hence the US Embassy/Consulates back home) between now and my intended departure for Canada...

4. chip

chip Member

When I looked into it, I couldn't complete the b1/b2 application due to a lack of any contact addresses in the USA, which the application demanded. If you've got the time, then it may be worth the hassle, as the proper visa is for a much longer period and probably means less paper work in the long run.
    When I went through this, I was told that having a canadian WHP visa was considered evidence of residence and work in Canada.

However, if the I94w is being phased out, then my own experiences are probably no longer relevant.

5. nine_7_six

nine_7_six Member

6. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

I hear a certain forum member was lining up outside the Vancouver Apple store early this morning...:p

7. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Noooooo

I have an HTC Legend running Android and a Lenovo Netbook so i guess that makes me the enemy.

I don't quite get the hype, why would you line up? You can go in the next day an pick one up with no wait...

Anyone going to the fireworks this weekend?

8. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Remi,his missus and myself headed down to english bay on wed night. Mexico put on a good show. Makes fireworks alot more interesting when they are done to music!

Not sure what the plan is for Sat, I might head down to the Stanley park side of English bay to meet up with the gf and her works mates after they knock off(They all work in Stanley Park).

9. jakespikey

jakespikey Member

Just arrived in Canada Sunday night, it's been fun so far :)

10. remi

remi Member

If you can find an iphone4 without lining up I think there's a lot of people wanting to know where.

I lined up from 3.30am and walked out by 8.45am with 2x32gb in my hand. Sold the second for a small profit later in the day. Lining up meant I had phone in hand and didn't miss any work. Loving the new phone.

We also did a road trip down to Cannon Beach, Portland and Mt St Helens on the weekend. Lots of time on the road but really worth the effort.

As for the visa discussion, not an expert here, but once you're here on the 2 year WHP visa, you're considered a permanent resident in canada for the length of the visa. Sounds weird, but that's the terminology. I suspect the 90 days between mexico, USA and Canada is strictly tourists only.

edit: Anyone interested in the TV show Fringe? They're filming scenes on Monday 9th August at Hastings and Burrard. I have a more detailed memo if anyone wants more details.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  11. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Is anyone keen on a fishing charter?

Saturday 4th September from 2 to 7pm
    $125 pp CAD for 5 hours out on this boat.

Click to view full size!

BYO Food and beer, leaves from Coal Harbor in Vancouver.
    Let me know if your interested.

Looking to make a group of 4-5 people.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  12. jakespikey

jakespikey Member

Hey Remi, I'm staying just near there and wouldn't mind having a bit of a look.

13. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Keen if my tax cheque comes through soon...will keep you update.

14. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

I will get our resident Canadian employee (Adrian) to jump in here and give you the low on Canada!

15. AdrianL

AdrianL Member

Canada.. it is just OK. Great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Good Things

1 - frozen concentrate juice
    2 - Tim Horton's "double double"
    3 - music scene in Toronto & CFNY the radio station

That is about all I miss - give me sun and a 12 month motorcycle season any day! So bleak and depressing there during the winter months.

Fighting snow and -20C mornings is NOT fun!

Anyone who is in Canada for a while you should take the time to go into USA for a couple months and road trip. It is WAY more fun, cheaper, and the scenery in America is more diversified.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about health insurance for Canada as the emergency room wait in the hospital will likely kill you before you get assistance. Appalling health care ...

Adrian

16. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

Where is it headed too - off van island??

17. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

No idea, basically wherever we are most likely to catch fish. Catching a huge salmon is a possibility and thats what I'm hoping for. Also a day away from the missus drinking beer.
    http://www.vancouversalmonfishing.ca/vancouver-salmon-fishing-gallery.html
    This is the boat and some pics from previous catches.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  18. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

19. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Member

Hey guys, my time here in Vancouver has come to an end sadly. Does anyone have any experience with sending a few large boxes (5 boxes approx. 60KG) back to Aus? I've found a couple of shipping companies, but only one that bothered to give us a competitive quote. Any recommendations?

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

fedex? ups?