O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Heya, So i just got back from my trip to North America and I did a week in Toronto to ascertain if it is the city for me.. I'm looking to move there..

I mean i gotta be honest.. I would have described it as ... plain... Beige.. it was fairly corporate and just didn't seem like much was going on. I'm only 25 this year and really i am quite social so i gotta have something to do!

I work in Finance so i heard it was the place to be.. but now i'm thinking Vancouver is where i wanna start.

How's the employment there now? Looking for the next 12 months

Did I miss something too or is my initial assumptions correct?

2. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

Im from Canada, wish I could go back..

3. remi

remi Member

In such a big city like Toronto you need to know where to go. I compare it to New York, you know cool things are happening all the time but you just don't know where. The downtown core is for business in general so you need to step out of there to get the social bits where most people actually live.

What sort of things do you like doing to be "social"? Everyone is different. Sports, bars, music, knitting?

I work as an Accountant and have been in Vancouver since May. The job market is dead here. If you want anything Finance related you have to be in Toronto. I'll be moving to Toronto to work for one of the big banks at the start of September.

4. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Nightlife, social aspect Van is great. Jobs wise its a dud. If you don't mind temp work you may find something suitable but for all the better/solid jobs you might have to head east.

My contract is expiring at the end of this month and I'll be on the hunt for few work in early sept, not looking forward to it but its gonna be done. I'll probably end up doing a shit kicker job for $10 an hour but hey, thats life in Vancity:lol:

5. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

P.s is anyone in Vancouver keen for a fishing charter on Sept 3rd? Me and Ashpool are interested, but would like ideally two more guys to split costs. I have arranged a very good deal through a new charter guy, PM for details.

Edit - Maybe even able to as soon as this friday the 20th too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Sports, Bars, Music for sure... I mean i know you can get all that stuff anywhere but I just was hoping to see a bit more of a nightlife in Toronto, meh.. there is a plus! it's not much of a distance from NYC..

Yeah I figured as much in relation to being in the wrong area... i mean i was staying on York Street Right in the Downtown.. only a Tim Hortons in site... not even a Mcdonalds :(

Well... Lol if thats where you gotta go... thats where you gotta go... I don't wanna get to somewhere like Vancouver work for 6 months then struggle to get a job.

Who do you guys recommend for job searching? Monster.ca?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

You can get decent work here in Van but you just have to work a bit harder to find it.

I used Monster.ca and Craigslist. Just got in a routine to check it twice a day.

I applied for everything specific to what I wanted.
    (IT, Application analyst/Support/Data/Systems Analyst)

Another tactic I used was to make a short list of companies that i would like to work for. I googled for best employers in Canada then bookmarked the respective career pages, checking them once a day as well.

Took me 4 months but then I got three offers at the same time for lucrative contract jobs...so I figure its worth it to hang out for the specific jobs I wanted. I am now on a 13 month contract, I get RDO's, decent leave and hours and get paid great money.

8. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Wow, that's hugely motivating.. I'm glad it worked out for you man.. I figure i'd just do the same.. Cheers for the info..

Do they have a leave system like in the USA.. (2 weeks, if your lucky) or is it more like here.. (~4 weeks p.a)

9. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Generally its 2-3 Weeks.

I get 4 weeks Plus 15 RDOs....Government Job....heheh

10. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Oh awesome, see now thats great too as an Australian we can apply for government jobs?

I don't mean to sound like a noob but I woulda assumed government jobs require Canadian citizens?

11. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

There are no real specific rules so its up to the employer if they will take you on. I have seen some jobs advertised as Canadian citizen or resident only.

Also when I applied for my jobs i didn't say if I was on a temp visa or not. I just came prepared to spin some shit in the interview.

12. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I guess they must have already assumed given that your qualifications were Australian, previous employers i'm guessing were Australian and you had an Australian accent.. BUT realistically they know that you'd be on a 2 year visa so 13 month position would fit... + assuming your under 31 you can get it renewed right?

13. remi

remi Member

York st is a weird one. Close to Union and the stadiums but nothing to do. Surely you walked up to Front st for a look around? The main entertainment district is actually an area surrounded by Spadina, King, John and Queen. I used to hang around a number of places in that area. Plus if you went west along Queen from Queen/Spadina you would find plenty of places. Who did you stay with? You got bad information by the sounds of it.

By getting out to the burbs I just meant getting up to Bloor St. Hardly "out there". The bars were more frequented by locals rather than tourists and a lot of fun was to be had.

As for work in Finance in Vancouver. Look at HSBC, they're mainly based here. Get signed up with Robert Half, they have about 70% of the market. Accountemps is their younger cousin aiming at the lower end of the market in terms of experienced candidates. I suggest looking at Workopolis, BCjobs.ca, Randstad and Ajilon.

Most people won't understand you have a 2 year renewable visa (only available since Feb 08). To the best of my knowledge Australia is the only one with that deal. That means everyone else only gets a 1 year/1 shot visa and that's what everyone expects people on visas to have.

Yes you can find work in Vancouver but as recruiters told us, you need to be patient and expect an average 4 to 6 week or more wait depending on how fussy you plan to be. After Labor Day on Sept 6th is the best time to focus on looking for work. Companies are back from vacation, looking at budgets and looking at year end coming up. This is 31st Oct for banks and 31st Dec for most other companies.

14. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Ashpool - Looks like fishing friday after all...but not with the original charter company I mentioned. I'm filling in as a deckhand for the charter mob I'm doing some marketing work for. The owner called in a favour so I put my hand up.

Got to set up fishing rods Canadian style(I had better do some googling) and talk fishing with stock brokers for 5 hours. Unfortunately I probably won't get to actually catch fish myself but hey, its a day on the water :thumbup:

15. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

You turd.
    So what does a Canadian salmon rig look like? Just whip up a few paternosters.
    Also get some good insider trading info for us.

16. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Yeah i walked up front st... much better up there.. a few bars.. also Younge Street is pretty cool.. bit going on there..

Ahh Ok ... i didn't hit up much of that area (spadina, King, John, Queen) I was with my ex and to be honest kinda wanted to avoid getting too pissed..

I stayed at a hotel called Strathcoma on York St.. just up from Union Station it was about as cheap as a private room at a hostel.. the guys behind the counter we're useless tho..

I did go to Bloor st.. but i wasn't there long enough.. it did look good.. they have an observation deck out there in one of the buildings.. i heard thats the better place to view the city.

Cheers for the resources i'll hit that for sure.. HSBC is a serious option for me def one of my more 'preferred' banks..

Damn, thats a shame but ignorance really seems to be a common problem in North America/Canada... oh well.. i'll make it clear if and when i apply..

Thanks again for filling me in on that stuff.

17. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

I heard there is a massive shortage for truck drivers!

18. mosaic

mosaic Member

Thanks for the tip about the EoY for companies in Canada.

In Nepal, laid up after getting some serious insect bites become infected. Current plan is to arrive in Vancouver after swinging through China in October.

See you all there!

19. AdrianL

AdrianL Member

If you want to be in the 'wrong' area head on a bus to Scarborough and make eye contact with everyone. Make sure you have your running shoes on! ha ha ha Try to hang out there at the front door of a massive apartment complex and really get to know the locals.

20. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I am aware of Scarborough...