O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. eskyhead

eskyhead Member

Into my final days of buying my own piece of Canadian Real Estate.....1 more day and it's mine.

2. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

what area did you buy in?

3. eskyhead

eskyhead Member

Shannon Lake - Kelowna, BC

4. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Ah nice. So a report from todays boat trip. There was tonnessssss of fish out there, jumping all over place. But getting them to bite was more difficult. We had a couple hook ups but the punters lost those.

I saw about a dozen landed/boat but that was from about a dozen boats! I think if we had been there first light it would have been firing. Those sockeye salmon that other boats where getting would have been decent 4-5kg fish.

5. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Ok, time to put the word out to Vancouver ocau'ers...Our lease here is expiring the day we get back from mexico and as it is, don't have any other apartments to come back to!

Is there anyone close to downtown with a room spare? Either temp or if you are looking for someone until Jan 1st, that suits us perfectly. Currently looking in Kits/Downtown/Westend/East Van but having trouble finding a place before Oct 1st that will accept a couple or mid month rentals.

Officially will be homeless on the 10th Sept. Both of us mid 20s, friendly and always willing to help out around the house or have a quite beer . PM me if you can help!

Thanks

6. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Pics? and how much?

7. eskyhead

eskyhead Member

8. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

9. rubba-chikin

rubba-chikin Member

I'm coming back over late November by the looks of things.

Working at Grouse Mountain for the winter season as a snowboarding instructor so I need to find a place to live, preferably in North Vancouver.

Have to meet up with some of you guys while I'm there :)

10. jezza323

jezza323 Member

have just started application for my visa :) hopefully will have it in a couple of months

wife and i will be heading over for spring 2011, probably toronto as work there looks very plentiful

11. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

This is a great thread. I didnt realise Canada was so popular with Aussies! I can see the attraction of skiing; but being so fracking cold/wet for much of the year would really put me off. Canada must be something special to have so many positive reports in spite of the weather.

12. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

Pretty much the mecca of MTBing and Skiing. If you're into either of those you'll jizz your pants over Canada.

13. ocyrion

ocyrion Member

We're off in Feb next year as well ... Right in the middle of the coldest month. Oh well, the letter expires then unfortunately ... Probably going to Toronto as well, I've heard through a couple of mates of mates that Vancouver isn't so great for work at the moment.

14. remi

remi Member

I've arrived back in Toronto for the second time now. Starting work on Tuesday and expecting a steep learning curve.

I firmly believe if you're looking for serious/professional work that your chances in Toronto are far higher than in Vancouver.

Cadbury I think you'll find that a lot of people want the contrast to what Australia has to offer. The mountains, scenery and climate are vastly different to what is available in Australia. Pair that up with easily accessible Visas and English as the main language and you have a match made in heaven.

One thing to consider with the cold is that all areas of Canada by law are required to heat homes to a minimum of about 20C. Read this: http://www.ontariotenants.ca/law/law.phtml#Q7

15. jezza323

jezza323 Member

yeah im not too worried about the cold, and as you say, the contrast is the big draw card. i guess will make us appreciate living in sunny qld all that much more once the adventures are over and we settle back down here :)

16. ocyrion

ocyrion Member

Your link on heating was really interesting. Good to know...

Also good to know that serious/pro work is available in Toronto. I'm not really interested in doing bar work (too old and impatient), hoping to get some writing work like I'm doing now.

17. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Back in Van after a week(well 9 days thanks to a delay)in Mexico:thumbup: Now tomorrow I'm off on a week long road trip to the rockys with some mates ;) Then back to reality ...

18. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Member

Heh sounds like the reverse of what I'm doing. Currently in the rockies (Jasper today) for another week and heading to Mexico (Playa del Carmen) from Calgary.

19. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

You'll love it. Great place.

So i'm departing for this road trip, not knowing if we have a place to move back to, so again, if anyone hear's of a room available after sept 10th. Im interested!

Adios amigos!

20. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Anyone got any cool ideas for Canadian souvenirs to take back to Aus?

I am getting my bro so Canuks gear, some maple syrup?

Any other cool idea. I liked some of the first nations art but most of its dodgey and i would like to buy it from a reputable or decent place.