O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. remi

remi Member

There's still a bunch of Olympics stuff floating around as they had trouble selling it. Maybe some of those little stuffed mascots for younger kids.

Hockey gear can be quite expensive for genuine stuff.

Genuine maple syrup is a good one. Beware the fake stuff though.

I sent some stuff home as a birthday present recently and included some Reese's, Oh henry choc bar, key ring, small "canadian pin" that could go on clothing etc.

2. jezza323

jezza323 Member

this might be a stupid question...but as ive never really even travelled OS for longer than a few weeks

when i move to canada, how the hell do i take all my monies with me? obviously cant just bring in a huge wad of cash... its my wife and i both, so will be a significant amount (>$10k AUD)

need to be able to get it into a bank account in canada somehow.

3. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Well you can take a huge amount of cash with you. It's really no problem as long as you declare it.

However...there are easier ways.

1) Leave it in you Aus account. Once you open your Canadian account then just do an international wire transfer...I can do these on my net banking no probs from Aus to Canada.

4. jezza323

jezza323 Member

doesnt look like i can do an international transfer from my netbanking

will have to investigate further

5. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Member

What we did was open an HSBC Canadian account from HSBC in Aus. I can't remember the the full process now but I do remember it was a pain in the arse.

6. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

I used St George to do international net banking to my canadian bank - when i think about it now, i should've just done international wire instead..

7. remi

remi Member

Why do you need to bring all your Oz money to Canada? Conversion rates are always changing. There's always fees and generally losses involved. Won't you still have a need for Oz money or is this a lifetime move? If or when you move back to Oz you'll need to reverse the process and pay more fees again. Profit for banks.

The process of opening a bank account in Canada is relatively simple and could be done in less than a day if you know what you're doing (including getting a cash card on the spot at the bank). This will be a no fee's involved process. Canada being like it is will gladly accept your credit cards as payment for service and you generally will be able to use your Australian ATM card here; again these will involve the likely fees.

Once you start earning Canadian money you just start spending that.

8. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Ok change of plans...Adios Vancity, its been fun. Time to hit up some -40 action at Banff.

9. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Enjoy! I'll be there for some boarding this season sometime..

10. sum_1

sum_1 Member

I've been here nearly a year and haven't met a single OCAUer. That's a bummer, let's change that. Drop me a message with your number and we can meetup sometime soon. I've got loads of friends here through couch surfing but would be cool to meet some of you guys.

I live in East Van, commercial drive area.

Enjoy :D

Ivan, p.s. I'm pretty cool, took a year off to go around the world travelling and wrote about it in a blog adventureivan.com

11. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Howdy Ivan, yeah I've followed your blog and was very impressed, looks like you have had a blast on your travels. I'm in east van too, so I'm more than happy to catch up for a beer anytime.

That said, I am up for a few drinks downtown on Friday the 1st October...anyone else keen?

12. sum_1

sum_1 Member

Let's not plan so far in advance. I've sent you a pm with my number. This weekend I'm in olympic national park in wa state.

I have to move out end of the month though. Not sure if I'm staying in east van or not. Free tomorrow/thurs night.

Ivan

13. eskyhead

eskyhead Member

I've been here almost 2 years and not met anyone.

14. jakespikey

jakespikey Member

I've been here a month and a half and I love it :) I'm in downtown haven't met many aussies which im surprised about, though I haven't been to any hostel bars etc.

15. Ronza

Ronza Member

Been in Calgary for 9 days now! Living on campus for uni so at times it can be a mad Aussie fest.

16. Shadey

Shadey Member

Shadey is leaving the Whistler, moving to the big city, to the *good* part of Surrey :) moving in with the boyfriend which is nice.
    has been 12 months in Whistler, I have my visa application in the process so will be soon 3 years I have on my visa.
    In Whistler there is 1 in 4 people are Aussies, and its interesting, I am glad to be leaving really, it has been fun, but I am in Canada not Australia.

17. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

Closer to me Chantelle!! I'm in New West..

18. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

So Banff is a tad colder than Van! :p about 4 degree high yesterday with a -2 last night. Currently 0.9 degrees at 10:40am.

Jobs were easy to get. Went dropping of resume's yesterday, I have a trial Saturday at the bottleshop and the gf has got a job at some store called Lush.

Finding decent accommodation was a bit more difficult(saw a few ghetto houses!), but we still got somewhere nice about 5 minute walk from both our jobs. Sharing it with a couple other people.

19. sum_1

sum_1 Member

I work on 6th & 6th

20. Joe 98

Joe 98 Member

1984 Sydney

Boarding the aircraft for Vancouver. A woman from Toronto had spent a year in Oz and gave us her phone number

1984 Vancouver:

A fellow gave us a lift to the next place. He was running a small business and parked his car out the front. I left my camera in his car. An hour later I returned and he said the car is not locked and I retrieved my camera.

1984 Northern BC

We arrived in a large town by train and there was a fellow running a small bus to take punters to their accommodation. We asked to go to the YHA. It was early spring and the place was not yet open. We were happy to camp but he took us to his place for the night and he and his wife gave us fantastic venison meatballs for dinner.

1984 Yukon

Camping in the bush near a town. A fellow came along who said he had heard 2 aussies were camped there. ( Bush telegraph I presume?). Concerned about bears, he took us home and he and his wife gave us venison hamburgers and a room for the night.

1984 Yukon

We completed the Yukon trail and afterwards went to a grocery store to stock up. The woman was so impressed that 2 Aussies had done the Yukon trail that we got a bed for the night and the best meal we had for a week! And a wonderful breakfast to follow!

1984 Saskatoon ( or somewhere )

We would go to major towns right across Canada for a few days and see the local museums and then head bush and do some hiking or canoeing.

From Saskatoon we took a bus north. But the route ended at a small town some distance before the park. We made enquiries and the man offered to drive us there! About 50k.

We did not recall afterwards that he had asked us how long we would be out there. After 4 days walking, we camped near the entrance to the park and started bracing ourselves for a 50k walk ahead of us.

The next morning a car turned up and the man said “You must be the 2 guys I am looking for.” and gave us a lift back to the town.

1984 Manitoba

A farmer had built a new farm house and used the old farm house as a YHA. We stayed there.

We were happy to do a days work on the farm. We had our own supplies but that night the family invited us in for a family dinner. Wonderful!

The next afternoon was the weekly town baseball game and BBQ and we were invited. A ball was hit high and as a cricketer had to throw the baseball glove away to catch the ball.

They were all impressed that I could catch a ball without a glove!

1984 Toronto

We phoned the woman. The family owns a large property/ small farm just north of Toronto. We spent 2 nights there. It just happened that they were having a family BBQ on that Sunday so we met lots of people!

1984 Halifax

The woman in Totonto had a friend there and we had dinner at their place!

In a nautical museum saw some deck chairs from the Titanic. Two weeks ago was in Melbourne to see the Titanic exhibition and was disappointed the deck chairs were not there.

Captain George Vancouver discovered the harbour of Albany W.A.

Army officer Franklin was governor of Tasmania for a while ( the Franklin River) and was later transferred to BC to govern some place there. The Franklin expedition was lost in the North West Passage. And the graves of some crew were found when we were there in 1984.

The Empire Air Training school was in Canada during WW2 and many Aussie men married local girls and either settled there or else back in Oz.

There are many links.

We back packed across Canada for 6 months or 180 days. I probably have 100 such stories but not enough space here.

Any hitch-hiker with a Canadian flag gets a ride from me.

-