O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. nine_7_six

nine_7_six Member

cheers mate, I was there last week too. I was in front of the giant tv at the back of the pub.

I just can't make it this week :(

2. true_filo_pryde

true_filo_pryde Member

Just came back from a trip from North America with family.
    Fell in love with Canada, was only in toronto for a week, but it was so similiar to Australia, and my family and friends that i never seen before were so inviting. Already thinking to go back over and work, how hard is it to get citizenship? is it best to just go over there on visas for a while?

3. jezza323

jezza323 Member

whats the deal with health insurance while on the WH visa for those over there? is there some local (canadian) insurance that i can get once im there rather than having to use travel insurance for 2 yrs?

4. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Here I am an expert in this area. Well for BC anyway.

Ok you can get travel insurance from Aus. But for any medical all they will want to do is send you back home asap. Which is not really suitable if your planning on staying for two years.

You can get local public health insurance(MSP) but I had to send a copy of my employment contract to qualify under the working holiday program.
    http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html#who

What you need to cover you in the meantime is expat medical insurance to cover the gap between your travel insurance and until you get a job and are eligable for MSP. (Medical services Plan). Here is an example of a local expat plan. (Should be around $120 a month)
    https://www.pbchbs.com/travelweb/VtcTripDetails.aspx

Don't think it wont happen to you. My girlfriend did her ACL in the first week she arrived. We only had travel insurance and all they wanted to do was send her back to aus. We said no and got a payout for that cost. But had to pay full price after that as we had no local coverage.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  5. jezza323

jezza323 Member

thanks heaps Ashpool :) exactly the info i was looking for

definately planning on travel insurance for the first little while till we are settled, then the expat cover looks like it will be the go

6. nine_7_six

nine_7_six Member

7. remi

remi Member

With Halloween around the corner; here is something to do in Toronto.

http://www.screemers.ca/

Your pay-one-price admission includes all six blood-curdling walkthrough attractions and unlimited carnival rides in the Field of Screams midway. Basically think of it as a bunch of Haunted Houses with some “carnival” rides at the end.

Wagjag has a half price deal on sale today for 24th and 26th October.

8. nine_7_six

nine_7_six Member

yeah I couldn't do that...Not my thing...

Went to halloween haunt at wonderland and only did 1 of the houses. spent rest of time on rides :D

9. doodz

doodz Member

Ill be in Toronto for the Xmas Period!
    Anyone know what to do and where to go? (I have uncles/aunties there) but yea.

Should be around the 20th - 27th. Should I stay more?

10. remi

remi Member

It'll likely be cold; who knows exactly how cold but I'd be preparing for minus temps.

Virtually nothing is open on Xmas day. Don't forget that xmas is a saturday. So then a good bit of stuff will be closed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. A lot of movies come out on xmas day, so it's not a bad idea to try and get to see something as it premiers. Cinemas get packed on the day.

Hope that helps a tiny bit.

11. doodz

doodz Member

Cool. Thanks. Would niagra falls still be ok to goto during those dates?

Also maybe stay longer in canada? Can push it from the 17th -> 27th.

Or is that too much? I have family in Toronto so yea

12. remi

remi Member

I hate talking about weather, but it is a big factor. When I was here 2 years ago there was an enormous blizzard on the 19th Dec which turned everything to a snails pace for 24hrs. Airports and all other forms of transport were on big delays. These are things that can't be predicted but should be factored in with travel times. Definitely get some good "delay" travel insurance.

Niagara will be fine to go see. Likely to be a bit snowy/icy in and around but still flowing like a beast. Maid of the mist won't be running (only runs about May to Oct). Can still do helicopter, behind the falls etc.

You might consider going to Montreal and Quebec city for a day or two each if you had extra time. Train & Bus are both relatively cheap and about 6-8hrs one way travel time. Could always go down to Buffalo (about 20 mins south of the border from Niagara) to watch an NFL (American Football game).

Within Toronto itself things like CN tower, AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) are an option. Ice skating is free in a number of rinks around Toronto. Ice Hockey started last week and going through until April. Toronto tickets are hard and expensive to get. If you went to Montreal you'd get a better experience.

13. jezza323

jezza323 Member

posted my WHP visa applications today (wife and myself). hopefully processing time wont be too long, keen to get approved!

anyone had to do the medical for it? wife is a school teacher and checked that box which will require the medical...

take long?

14. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Definitely takes longer. They will send her a list of medical providers. Go and visit. doctor then sends the report on to WHP people.

From memory it took around 6 weeks.

Without medical mine took less than 2 weeks.

15. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Where are you looking to move to? what do you plan to do over there?

16. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Member

I can confirm the above. 2 weeks for my non-medical. 6 weeks for the mrs with her medical requirement.

17. jezza323

jezza323 Member

planning on Toronto

I am a software dev (.Net), so I plan on doing that :) wife is a school teacher, she wants to try something else, but might end up doing some teaching as well

mostly want to travel around Canada and the US so will be trying to negotiate for extra holidays, but will see how i go

and thanks to both Ashpool and Mr.Sinister for confirming details re: medical :)

18. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Awesome, i've been looking into moving to Toronto for the better part of this year I went there for a week in August to check it out seems real nice, but beige.. not a lot of colour.. (I work in Finance) what have you done about looking for work?

got any leads before leaving.. or you just gunna wing it when you get there? you looked into which part of Toronto you wanna move to?

19. jezza323

jezza323 Member

i have looked at what is going, but not applied yet (as dont have visas yet)

i will begin seriously applying for jobs in Feb '11 (provided we have the visas then) and will leave either as soon as i get an offer or leave in late april and wing it :) we are looking to arrive as things are starting to warm up, the wife is not looking forward to the cold, lol

as for living, we will just get something short term on arrival, then sort out something more permanent once i have a job sorted. will end up living as close as possible to my work

20. remi

remi Member

Your chances of finding something before you leave are less than 5%. Main thing being you are a temporary resident and basically all full time employment will require at least a permanent resident status. Get you CV/Resume sorted out into a good format; apply with various recruiters; look at jobs going on the big job sites so you can hit the ground running when you arrive.

Realistically you're going to need 3 basics on day 1; SIN (social insurance number); Canadian Bank account and Canadian cell number. Very easy to organise on day 1 if you know what you're doing.