O Canada!

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Ashpool, Jun 10, 2009.

1. remi

remi Member

If you read through this thread you should see other comments about this topic. I have been through the "new visa" process twice in the past 2.5 years and neither time have they asked for insurance information or bank information. This is not to say they won't but I assume they assess the risk of the individual at the border. Overall Australians get it quite easy here and they give you an easy time on the border from what I've been told by many other people.

2. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

Any idea how I claim my canadian tax back, now that I'm in Aus?

I got my canadian group certificate mailed to my aussie address yesterday and not sure where to head next.

3. jezza323

jezza323 Member

ill be going through immigration at vancouver, so should be pretty easy. id imagine they see a lot of aussies coming in there. still it does concern me. maybe ill see about some expat insurance which starts after travel insurance ends, and can cancel before it actually starts or something....

4. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

You need to get a tax pack. You can get one sent to you ore they are available as pdf. Cause its your first filing you can't do it electronically.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gnrl/menu-eng.html

You need the
    General Income Tax and Benefit Guide - 2010
    and the
    T1 General 2010 - Income Tax and Benefit Return
    and the
    Federal worksheet.

Fill em out and send them back. Do you still have a Canadian bank account? Might be best to get em to deposit there.

5. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

I was a "deemed resident" correct? We still have one of the accounts open, but its got no money in it so its probably in the negatives now haha

6. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Yeah a deemed resident for tax purposes has no relation to your visa status.

7. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

Mate I'm going with the regular insurance once I get there. I'm getting 3 months travel insurance up front (because that's my Whistler MTB time sorted out and any bullshit that could go wrong along the way) then going with a regular health insurer after that and if things go well in the employment side of things well then I'm covered by Public Health anyway.

I think it was through www.sbis.ca that I came across a reasonable health insurance plan that I was going to go with as an interim should it be required. If you have a bit of a dig via google you should find something that suits.

I think if you've got 12months up front you'll be fine. One would imagine they're pretty well in tune with picking up on free-loaders, people who blatantly don't meet requirements or might be high risk. Do the best you can and I think you'll be fine.

Fark I can't wait to go. I'm so over Brisbane. Shit weather apart from 3 winter months, shit roads, shit public transport, shit boring, shit everything.

Oh and a fantastic football team which I will miss :lol:

And I'll miss Aussie wages too... but money is only a means to an end ;)

8. jesh

jesh Member

I've heard phone carriers and plans are pretty average in Canada -- what's data like? I assume you can't get it on prepaid, but can you get it on month-to-month or are you locked into a 12/24 month contract?

My current iphone is locked to a Japanese carrier and I'm debating whether to JB it, or just sell that and buy a fresh unlocked one. (Or anyone know if the contracts include iphones in the monthly fee? If so no point bringing my own right?)

Also how's that internet kerfuffle going, last I heard there was talk of putting some bullshit cap on data or something...

9. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Member

I'm planning on doing mine with the H&R Block software (you can buy it off their website) which is what I used last year when I was in Canada. You won't be able to file it electronically but at least you can print out your return and mail it. I found the software pretty easy to use.

10. quickshot84

quickshot84 Member

Hey, whats the job market like for a IT techy with 3 years experience in networking/deployment/L3 helpdesk in/around Vancouver?
    Ive been looking around online but cant really get a feel for it like the job sites here.

11. chip

chip Member

36 month contract is the norm there, so you probably won't want that. For example, Rogers charge $7 for 125MB, but it expires after 7 days (Rogers probably aren't the best choice). They call prepaid plans 'pay as you go', and the advertised price is never what you end up paying - you'll get surcharges piled up (bullshit like 911 tax, VISA card 'convenience' fees etc) so a $40 plan ends up costing about $45.

12. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

Just so you can quickly google a few:

Bell, Rogers, Fido, Telus, Wind, Mobilicity and Virgin is there as well. The phone plans are pretty shit and to be honest - more or less the same across the board. Whatever you think something will cost here - add $10-15 for the same deal there.

Overall the mobile industry is pretty shit house there.

Internet is better though. From what I've seen, the majority of the main players just have "internet". That's all you get. High speed (20mb+), no data limit. A lot of them literally have 1 plan.

Rogers have started to roll out data limits but how on earth people go with them is beyond me. Why would you pay $29/m for 2gb when 90% of the other mobs charge the same price for unlimited.

There was a whole bunch of chat going around last year I'm told about Canada trying to get D/L limits placed on plans. So far from I've seen on their ISP websites the vast majority have no such bs.

13. remi

remi Member

To the OP; a newcomer to Canada will likely have no local credit history which makes getting a month-to-month contract or a 2-3 year contract quite hard. Then it is a pay as you go (pre-paid) option. These have data options that I would not call cheap. Moving from pay as you go to a contract can be done usually after about 3 months. Retention plans if you're spending $60+ per month maybe 3 months after that.

I disagree with kona_boy's final comment. The mobile industry is $hit if you don't understand how to make it work for you. I recommend anyone read through redflag forums on retention plans with Rogers, Fido and Bell amongst others. Once a good retention plan is negotiated the value is quite reasonable, apart from the long distance calling charges outside of your local area code.

Lets not forget that different companies operate in different geographical areas. Considering Rogers & Bell have a high percentage of the market I'm curious as to who the "90% of the other mobs" actually are. Care to list some company names? I know of Teksavvy, Sasktel and Shaw. Rogers and Bell both charge based on limits to speed and quota.

14. jezza323

jezza323 Member

really starting to seriously apply for jobs now. going through monster.ca and applying. Anyone here got any hookups for software dev/programming (in particular .Net stuff) in Toronto? :)

15. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

Ease up bro :p I was going by all the ones i compared that service BC.

As for this 'retention', does one approach the telco via phone to negotiate a deal? Is it fairly normal practice? I don't mind being on a shitty prepaid plan for a couple of months anyway.

My '90%' comment was a bit of a generalisation but the point remains the same - when a bunch of major carriers offer sheer unlimited for a good price, why on earth would you get something with a limit (which cost the same).

Unless i've completely overlooked something, that's how it shapes up to me.

16. remi

remi Member

Redflag forums is where I read up on plans. There are separate threads for different companies; here is the link for Fido. 1000+ pages; I would call it normal practice.
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-retention-plans-376936/

Feel free to list some companies or websites. I'm curious as I pay my own bills & always looking for good value for money. Personally I'm with Bell for Satellite TV and internet. 12mbs with 50gig quota is about $50/mo. This is in Toronto. I know different regions have different major companies. From my knowledge Bell and Rogers have a large share of the market. I tried googling for market share info but couldn't find anything for free that listed any sort of percentage splits.

17. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

http://www.telus.com/content/internet/

Although that appears to only be available in BC

18. remi

remi Member

So I must be missing something then. Your first quote was:

The cheapest plan I see there from Telus is $30/month for High Speed Lite ($25/mo if bundled with another service) that includes 13gig of data download speed up to 1 Mbps. Next level up is $34/mo in a bundle for 75gig of data and speeds of 1.5 to 6.0 Mbps. Next level which is comparable to my current Bell plan is $47/mo bundled with 125gig and speeds of 10.0 to 15.0 Mbps.

Telus is of course the third major telecommunications player in Canada behind Rogers and Bell. Internet looks to be for Alberta and BC only as you stated.

The only other major player I know of is Teksavvy at http://teksavvy.com/en/default.asp

I think you're realistically looking at $50/mo for decent internet including a mix of speed/quota and setup fees without a 2+ year contract.

19. jcorney

jcorney Member

go canucks. watching hockey live is awesome

20. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

It is...but i still find myself looking at the wrong end of the ice.