O365/OneDrive/Sharepoint/Team Sites/Outtlook Groups - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by -Sk3tChY-, Mar 7, 2017.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Been trying to learn more with O365 and am trying to setup what I thought would have been far simpler.

I've got a small test organisation with 4 users and am basically wanting to setup some shared folders with slightly different permissions that will sync across their devices via OneDrive, so something like say:

- Main Data Folder: A folder all users can access and that syncs across all
    - Finance Folder: A folder only the boss and accountant can access

I figured this would be as simple as sharing the folder within OneDrive to the other users, but have found that this doesn't add the folder to their OneDrive for syncing to the local machine. Instead it just appears within the web interface under "Shared with me". I've seen that I can click "sync" at the top and manage to get it syncing to the local machine via OneDrive, but it's a bit messy:

- creates a new folder and shows the folder as "User Name - Shared Folder Name"
    - it is separate from their OneDrive account, not sure if this would work on a mobile device

Upon reading up on things I start to see there's differences between OneDrive Personal and OneDrive Business, different clients for each (which apparently is no longer the case?) and then there's the whole Sharepoint / Team Sites / Outlook Groups items which I believe can also be used to achieve a similar outcome.

From within the OneDrive web interface I've tried creating a Group/Team Site and then adding it's document library in a similar fashion by pressing the "sync" button from the web interface - but again, this seems a bit messy:

- It uses the OneDrive for Business client which I thought wasn't used anymore
    - Shows sharepoint icons rather than OneDrive/Folder icons, no visual of sync status
    - They have to click on Sharepoint > Team Site

It's all a little confusing at this stage and I'm not entirely sure if I should be doing this all within OneDrive or using a Team Site.

Any point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

2. MikHail

MikHail Member

3. Dre_

Dre_ Member

OD4B is for personal storage, so if you're sharing things across people frequently you should use SharePoint/Groups/Teams.

Occasional sharing of things from OD4B is okay, but it is a bad habit and hard to manage.

I'm in Sydney Thursday and Friday if you want to bounce some ideas.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I've tried setting up something very similar to this, I came across this similar article personally.

However, when I do this - it doesn't use OneDrive as it says it should, instead when I click "sync" it downloads and sets up using the OneDrive for Business client, which is apparently supposed to be obsolete now? :confused: It also shows the files under Sharepoint with Sharepoint icons:

[​IMG]

The also results in no little sync indicators icons within the file icons too. (ticks, x's, syncing icons)

Is there something I'm missing here? Do I need to do something on the backend? Could it be because this particular tenant is with Telsta/T-Suite?

Thanks for the clarification on this, saves me looking too much into OneDrive stuff.

Something I noticed very quickly; I was of the assumption it would have been similar to Dropbox where you just share the folder and then it adds to the persons folder heirarchy when they accept.

The Team Sites / Outlook Groups stuff is also requires manual intervention to have it sync to the local machine - this doesn't seem very scalable for larger environments? Isn't there something a little more automated?

Currently overseas at the moment, return on the 20th. I can arrange to call you though?

5. Dre_

Dre_ Member

I'll be up there 21st and 22nd again.

Honestly, do they really need it synced to their machine?
    What is the issue with working from the browser?
    That is how I use it these days. I don't want shit on my PC anymore.

6. exodushunter

exodushunter Member

You need to change the global setting in Sharepoint admin to use the new client not the old one, for team sites to use the new client.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...c-client-22e1f635-fb89-49e0-a176-edab26f69614

7. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Can arrange something for then if you're free. :thumbup:

People are just used to working this way I suppose? I personally work out of Dropbox all the time and wouldn't be too keen on operating from the Web UI all the time, even if integration with my desktop apps and online sycnc was excellent; just seems far simpler and more efficient to work natively within Windows.

Also what happens if you lose you have no internet connection?

Ahhh exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciated mate, thank you!

Only issue now though, at least with this particular tenant - is that for some reason it doesn't give me access to sharepoint admin center to make these changes.

Like it's literally not listed in the admin center list. Likewise, doesn't appear to have Yammer admin center. Is this because the tenant is with Telstra?

8. Wynne

Wynne Member

Sounds like licensing, what are they on?

9. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

This is exactly what it was - it's a very old tenant with Telstra, currently uses "Small Business" licenses which don't exist anymore.

Called and spoke with Telstra and apparently they'll be migrating these older tenants to the current plans by the end of March - so hopefully will be able get these Team Sites working with the OneDrive Sync Client. :thumbup:

10. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Dude, ask Dre_. It may be possible to swing them over to CSP, [without using skykick] then you own the billing and put them on BusPrem (or E3...)

11. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Have a look and see if they've been moved yet
    https://www.akon.cloud/syndication-moving-to-csp/

You can request Telstra to flag them as a priority with Microsoft, you need to justify this by simply saying you want to deploy something that's not available in syndication like Azure.

12. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Was planning to do this - sent an email off to one of the guys at RHIPE who said they've got a document outlining how to move a tenant from Telstra to CSP/RHIPE.

Reading the link, it seems I just need to wait until they've been migrated and then I can easily move them to RHIPE?

I could do this, but there's really no issue at all with waiting until the end of the month; the person I spoke to over the phone seemed adamant it would all be done by the end of March.