1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OC BrainsTrust: Dual 10 Gigabit & 802.1AX-2008?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by KonMan, Oct 25, 2012.

1. KonMan

KonMan Member

OC Brains Trust ....

Just checking with you guys that this would work...

Need super responsive network read/write speeds..

Getting -:
    • ML350 Gen 8 server with SSDs and dual 10 Gigabit
    • 3800-48G-4SFP+ Switch
    • X244 XFP SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Cable (two of)

I will have about 20 or so 'power users' on a network of about 40.

Question : Has anyone here done 'link aggregation' with 2x 10 Gigabit adapters before? Feedback / Experiences?

ps. The 2 cables are almost as expensive as the server itself!! Bleeding edge, I know - but I dont want to bleed to death if it does not work!!

Cheers,
    KonMan.

2. ltd73

ltd73 Member

you don't actually say what your use-case is.

HP Procurve switches like this one have quite limited buffer memory.
    In this case its either 18MB or 36MB depending on which HP datasheet you believe (they contradict one another, maybe there is an 'older' and 'newer' version but quite how they could both keep the same part number is beyond me if thats the case).

If your use-case is 1G clients talking to fast 10G then you have a lot of traffic doing a speed change of 10G -> 1G and you need buffer.

a blog at http://java.dzone.com/articles/big-data-bigger-networking describing what someone found with hadoop is a good example of why you need buffers to deal with the classic TCP incast issue.

you get what you pay for here.

i'm biased as i work for Arista but i'd suggest a Arista 7048.

Direct Attach (DAC) / CX1 / twinax / 10GBASE-CR shoudn't be expensive. <$100 for a 3m cable version that includes the cable + both transceivers.

that said, if you were building out 'new' infrastructure i'd consider switches that are capable of 10GBASE-T, i.e. RJ45 100/1000/10G-T.
    no need for any transceivers.

3. OP
    OP
    KonMan

KonMan Member

Thats what I love about OCAU - access to many people with experience and relevant opinions .....

Thanks ltd73 !!

edit : will PM you....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012